collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2113713 times)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #6660 on: September 21, 2017, 04:06:49 PM »

It's this 'we're a big club' thing that stops some folks from enjoying anything Villa related these days it seems. We were a big club once upon a time, and we're still a historically big club to us and anyone in the media over the age of 40 that gives two shits about us. But to anyone else we're an irrelevance and just another team (like Everton for example) that just exist for no apparent reason.

I doubt there's a person (non Villa related) under the age of 30 that considers us a big club. And the sooner folks realise this is the way it is the better i reckon.

I just enjoy the Villa for me, what other people think of us, or what opposition we're playing week in week out doesn't really bother me. I only go to the game to watch us, so whether we're playing Brentford or Arsenal genuinely doesn't bother me one bit. I don't feel any shame at being in this league, i don't miss the PL one bit, and i haven't watched MOTD for over a year either.

I've literally no interest in watching any other football anymore. I just watch my team, and that's it. If we do well great, if we do bad, we try again next match. No drama.

if the whole who we play and what league we're in thing is a complete irrelevance there's no wonder you want to keep Bruce
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:16:14 PM by john e »

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6661 on: September 21, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »

It's this 'we're a big club' thing that stops some folks from enjoying anything Villa related these days it seems. We were a big club once upon a time, and we're still a historically big club to us and anyone in the media over the age of 40 that gives two shits about us. But to anyone else we're an irrelevance and just another team (like Everton for example) that just exist for no apparent reason.

I doubt there's a person (non Villa related) under the age of 30 that considers us a big club. And the sooner folks realise this is the way it is the better i reckon.

I just enjoy the Villa for me, what other people think of us, or what opposition we're playing week in week out doesn't really bother me. I only go to the game to watch us, so whether we're playing Brentford or Arsenal genuinely doesn't bother me one bit. I don't feel any shame at being in this league, i don't miss the PL one bit, and i haven't watched MOTD for over a year either.

I've literally no interest in watching any other football anymore. I just watch my team, and that's it. If we do well great, if we do bad, we try again next match. No drama.

That's not far off where I am as well. I hated the thought of relegation but so far I've not disliked it as much as I thought I would. I've not missed the PL at all and I only bother to watch MOTD if I remember to put it on Sunday morning but that said, I want us to get back up. I don't feel any shame about being in this league either but I don't want to be down here forever.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #6662 on: September 21, 2017, 06:21:28 PM »
If your only desire is to turn up to the match then the fact you don't complain about the entertainment on offer or where it leads us makes more sense.

Without taking the piss (if it come over that way) it at least gives me a frame of reference for what I have been struggling with in some of the arguments in defence of Bruce.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #6663 on: September 21, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »
I kind of wish I had that ability to just enjoy Villa playing regardless of where we are, but I cant.

I find it very difficult to see our great club accepting being third rate and "one of the pack" in the second tier. I just cant enjoy it. Possibly if we were doing like we should be then I could (IE: top of the league) but struggling in the bottom half? Nah I just can't celebrate that.

Again no disrespect to fellow fans who can, I just can't.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6664 on: September 21, 2017, 08:28:48 PM »
I hate being in the Championship. As much as I dislike what the PL has ultimately become it's the only place to be. We are a PL club in pretty much every way off the pitch. I hate that over time we are thought of as anything but a massive club. That's all on us. Both internally how we have acted, players, managers, owners, board and even fans to a point. We've been the architect of our own downfall and I simply don't want to settle for life in this division.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6665 on: September 21, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
I hate being in division 2, and yet I don't miss the PL either. I'd rather be in it than where we are, but I don't miss that circus.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #6666 on: September 21, 2017, 08:40:58 PM »
I never get this age obsession, like nobody under the age of thirty is capable of reading about football history or looking at a list of former League Champions on the internet. They have Wikipedia now, you know.

I would imagine that there are plenty of under-thirties, Villa supporters and otherwise, who regard us as the massive club that we are.

I beg to differ.

Online KRS

« Reply #6667 on: September 21, 2017, 08:43:02 PM »
Its not the fact that we're in the Championship that bothers me...it's the fact that we're a shit to average team in the Championship that boils my piss. Life down here was supposed to not only be a chance to rebuild, but also to see us comfortably winning most games whilst brushing opponents aside with exciting football...it was supposed to be a nice enjoyable holiday but its turning into the holiday from hell in less than suitable accommodation with shit stained bed sheets.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #6668 on: September 21, 2017, 08:50:54 PM »
I hate that Villa are in the Championship. The English second tier. We've had a gradual, meek, grinding-down to where we find ourselves. I'm not sure how we fix it but I think it must lie in better management.

We are almost pretending to be Aston Villa right now.

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #6669 on: September 21, 2017, 08:51:24 PM »
Its not the fact that we're in the Championship that bothers me...it's the fact that we're a shit to average team in the Championship that boils my piss. Life down here was supposed to not only be a chance to rebuild, but also to see us comfortably winning most games whilst brushing opponents aside with exciting football...it was supposed to be a nice enjoyable holiday but its turning into the holiday from hell in less than suitable accommodation with shit stained bed sheets.
I agree with this - I'm struggling to remember a time when we competed less or seemed to have such a rudimentary grasp of the basics of football. How can a club with our resources turn out such shit week in week out? I mean you'd really struggle to fuck it up as badly as we have over the last few seasons.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #6670 on: September 21, 2017, 09:05:50 PM »
From when Ellis returned he began feeding us shit off a teaspoon and it has progressed further until now we are taking it off a shovel.  There was a brief respite in the early Lerner years when the shit got sprinkled with sugar but the sugar melted and the shovel got bigger.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #6671 on: September 21, 2017, 09:15:38 PM »
The writing was on the wall when Lambert started bragging, for a pat on the head from his master Randy Lerner, that the lowering of the expectations of the fans was a positive achievement.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #6672 on: September 21, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »

This for me too. After the last 6 or 7 years I just want to see some entertainment. Norwich was fun but such games are still too few and far between considering the shite we're up against week in week out.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #6673 on: September 21, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »

This for me too. After the last 6 or 7 years I just want to see some entertainment. Norwich was fun but such games are still too few and far between considering the shite we're up against week in week out.

It really is. We USED to have the excuse that maybe a third to half the teams in the PL spent less than us. We dont have that now. We simply do have better players than anyone else so we should all be very quick to point out when a manager loses with the best squad in the league. We are the ManU or Chelsea of the Championship. Anything less than promotion should be regarded as a complete failure. That was true last season as well. Which is why we should have made the change then.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6674 on: September 21, 2017, 10:36:13 PM »
If everybody took the view that it don't which division we are in then prepare yourself to watch a load of fat blokes running around a dog shit infested park pitch on a Sunday morning with about 10 others including the mandatory bloke walking his dog.
I think a combination of Lerner, Oniel Lambert FFP and the current regime have blown away our chances of ever being considered a BIG club again.
Just like getting old, there is no way am I going to start liking it though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal