collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2114735 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:07 PM »
I don't think we've deserved to lose any of the last three games.

I agree with something SHQ said about poor planning leaving us with nowt up top when ACON hit and we lost momentum against Cardiff and then Spurs and Wolves.

With a bit more confidence we'd have put some of the chances away against Forest and Ipswich and tonight. It's fine margins.

Newcastle game may suit us where, for once, the onus isn't on us to attack.

I think as poor as the run is, we will turn it around.

I'm reading that in a Sean Spicer voice

Fuck.off you snide. You don't like my opinion, then challenge it without the snide shit.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »
Seven points off the bottom three and, what, fifteen games left to play?  I think we have to stick with Bruce and ride this out.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2017, 10:21:33 PM »
If we lose against the Geordies and Derby, Xia is going to have to be made of steel to resist the tidal wave of discontent that will come from the fans baying for Bruce's head. Xia needs the fanbase more than he needs Bruce.
And teh attendance tonight was?

26, 435

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 10:22:22 PM »

Lets have a recap since O'Neill jumped ship

We've changed managers numerous times = No change in fortune
We've changed coaching staff numerous times = No change in fortune
We've changed the badge on the shirt = No change in fortune
We've changed the entire playing staff numerous times = No change in fortune
We've changed the owner = No change in fortune

What hasn't changed ? The fragmented and at times poisonous support

How will changing Bruce change a thing ?

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't replace him, just convince me taking into account ALL the above that it would change things for the better.

The managers we chopped and changed to though:

Alex Mcleish, serial relegation expect, just relegated.
Paul Lambert, lower league manager, biggest test Norwich City
Tim Sherwood, managed a grand total of 20 games or something daft prior to being on our short list of one.
Remi Garde, a gamble, who took over a poor side, with numerous problems behind the scenes and not given a single penny to spend.
Di Matteo, dubious reports from all his previous tenures, never built a club up from a poor base.
Steve Bruce, yo yo merchant, made his name at small clubs getting promotion.

On paper it looks terrible, I don't think the amount of times we've changed manager per se is the problem, more the risks we've taken and the motives behind each selection. Bruce actually on paper looks/looked the most sensible but he is falling apart under the pressure.

Make no mistake, we are a laughing stock right now, but Aston Villa are a huge job and you are immediately under the microscope and everything is scrutinised. Things you could get away with at a Wigan or a Hull won't pass here, they will be used against you.

I think we need a huge personality to manage our recovery. More lower league mangers I think will all fall by the wayside under the intense pressure.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 10:22:53 PM »
It seems to me it is the coaching - or maybe lack of it - and the level of ability to carry out their instructions by the players, that needs to change. If that means " resting" ( getting shot of ) the French ones then so be it. If it means SB biting the bullet and dumping both his mates, Clemence and Calderwood - do it ! That way he can show he is his own man and isn't going to let this big job go without making a real fist of it !

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2017, 10:23:45 PM »
Bielsa it is then.

Sorted.

Offline myf

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2017, 10:23:48 PM »
 I said at weekend give him till rotherham away. 4 more games in just over a fortnight. If he doesn't take 6 points it's time to get rid

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2017, 10:25:14 PM »
Bielsa it is then.

Sorted.

What if, say five games in, he picks up 1 point from 18? Do we get rid again?

6 managers in less than 2 seasons would be circus stuff.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2017, 10:25:31 PM »
No. We can't keep changing managers.

Bruce had a decent run of form after coming in. The only decent run of form in at least the last two seasons.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2017, 10:25:35 PM »

/quote]

There have been many teams on the way down that people have said that about.  Usually what those teams lack is strength of character.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2017, 10:25:46 PM »
I remember seeing an interview with Bruce just before he joined whilst scouring Youtube (can't remember who he was the manager of at the time) where he said he "didn't really do tactics!?!" That comment shocked and horrified me equal measures. I tried to push that to the back of my head and take comfort in the fact that at least he'd get a team working together as a unit and putting effort in. Well apparently Bruce is a man of his word and he doesn't really do tactics?!! FFS! Happy Bastard Valentines Day

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:38 PM »
No. He bought these fucking messers he can sort them out.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:54 PM »
Personally I think he,or whoever, bought the wrong players in the window, too many or the wrong fit, who knows?
Its a FUCK OFF from me.

The players we almost unanimously said were great signings just a few weeks ago ?

The ones that were doing exactly what we wanted them to do for us for their old clubs ?

Talk about a swift rethink

I don't know what the answer is but signing better players than we had seemed fairly logical to me
I thought most of our buys were the fancy dans,with the warriors making it happen for them, we aint got no fkn warriors.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2017, 10:29:03 PM »

I agree with something SHQ said about poor planning leaving us with nowt up top when ACON hit and we lost momentum against Cardiff and then Spurs and Wolves.

With a bit more confidence we'd have put some of the chances away against Forest and Ipswich and tonight. It's fine margins.

Newcastle game may suit us where, for once, the onus isn't on us to attack.

I think as poor as the run is, we will turn it around.

I am not having a pop as I respect your fair mindedness about him but I would also note I dont think we deserved to win a couple of Bruces wins either.

Regardless IMHO as someone else just said (cant find the post) we are just too negative. One of the only (perhaps THE only) positive of Sherwood is at least he would go for it. Bruce fits in the mold of all our other recent managers in that he just gets more and more negative.

I don't know why it happens but it does. IS there any evidence Bruce is going to change us into a free flowing attacking team? I dont think so, I dont think its in his DNA. Sadly.

This is why I was critical of shit performances in november, yes we were getting results but you just can't play shit week in and week out and not expect the results to start going against you.  There's maybe  something in the idea that we could've got more out of the last 3 games but in all 3 cases things have started to go shit and Bruce has sat on his hands and let it happen and then made subs once the game is gone.  So we have a manager who can't change a game once it's underway, who can't create any coherence in our attacking play, who seemingly hasn't been able to find a way to get the defence to play as a unit and who had a bit of early luck that has now completely abandoned him.  Given all of that what sliver of hope is there to cling to that we're going to be able to address this shit?

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2017, 10:29:46 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal