collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2128708 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Bruce out?
« Reply #17640 on: August 23, 2018, 08:16:42 AM »
Saying he's done enough not to get sacked makes out like he's doing the bear minimum, when, early as it might be, we're taking enough points per game to go up automatically.

But there are tougher games to come. The reality is we should be on 12 points now which would've meant when we get to the tougher games we could afford to drop some points.

Essentially, it's no better than the last two seasons, which weren't good enough to get promoted.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #17641 on: August 23, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Tougher than Pep Smith's Bayern Brentford?

Almost certainly. But then we're going to get better too. We got into good positions last night, but delivery has been poor. I have felt that was a problem in all four games so far. The rapid pace we've brought in will help us and hopefully, the widemen will add better delivery. Do that and Abraham and Kodjia will have a lot more opportunities.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #17642 on: August 23, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »
can’t knock Bruce for that

entertaining game of football to watch,
attacking Football from the off
Brentford are one of the better footballing sides in this division and we were better than them tonight even though they played well

more like that and we will go up

Agreed John. Hope the holiday was pleasant for you and yours.

Thanks, still here come back tomorrow
Weathers not been great but the kids love surfing and the seas still just as wet

best performance I’ve seen under Bruce last night even better than against Wolves for all round play and attacking intent

I’ll never be in the IN camp but I say it as I see it

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #17643 on: August 23, 2018, 09:58:26 AM »
Albert played well, up to the point of having to get the ball into a dangerous area, when it all went to pot.

Hopefully Bolasie and El Ghazi can make a difference.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17644 on: August 23, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »
I'm not sure that Tuanzebe is a centre back, and having him and Chester both being so right footed I'm not sure those two will work.  I think we need a centre back on loan, preferably a left sided one.

Vidic-Ferdinand, Baresi-Costacurta, Cannavaro-Nesta, Mellberg-Laursen, Terry-Carvalho, Moore-Charlton, Chester-Terry...

Jesus, what standard are you talking about.  They are world class players, other than the last two. Spend as much as those players are worth and I'd expect them to able to adjust. Tuanzebe isn't that player at this time.

Well with Chester and Terry I'm talking about us last season! There's no need to get a left-footed centre-back in, it makes zero difference.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17645 on: August 23, 2018, 10:23:33 AM »
Albert played well, up to the point of having to get the ball into a dangerous area, when it all went to pot.

Hopefully Bolasie and El Ghazi can make a difference.
Bolasie an El Ghazi will give us much needed pace. The strikers will have to be on their toes if we're going to make the most of it.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #17646 on: August 23, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
Jeez I'd hate to see the knicker wetting if we had played poorly.
Every time we drop two points I piss my pants. I want to win every game.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #17647 on: August 23, 2018, 12:01:29 PM »
Saying he's done enough not to get sacked makes out like he's doing the bear minimum, when, early as it might be, we're taking enough points per game to go up automatically.

Only if you exclude the other four teams who are above us, including last night's opponents who are above us in the table with the advantage of having the reverse fixture at their place.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #17648 on: August 23, 2018, 12:07:49 PM »

Only if you exclude the other four teams who are above us, including last night's opponents who are above us in the table with the advantage of having the reverse fixture at their place.
Oh for Pete's sake. We are on the same points, and two points off the leaders. As for your comment about the reverse fixture, if only football was as simple as a guaranteed 3 points at home.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #17649 on: August 23, 2018, 12:11:03 PM »

Oh for Pete's sake. We are on the same points, and two points off the leaders. As for your comment about the reverse fixture, if only football was as simple as a guaranteed 3 points at home.

1. They are all above us so I'm not sure of your point.
2. Absolutely, yet we have lost the last 2 at their place, and home advantage does tend to exist unless you've some evidence to the contrary?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #17650 on: August 23, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »

The swing-o-meter thingy is important here, we're in the same place were were last season from a game by game view.  Whether that carries on or not is debatable but we really need to see how we get on against the teams we struggled against last season.  What is in our favour is that I reckon Wolves, Cardiff and Fulham were stronger than Stoke, Baggies and swansea will be but we need to show that by improving our results against them.

That said 2 points per game was my target last season and will be my target again this year.  If we get more than about 6 points off that target at any point before Christmas he should go whilst we're still close enough to push on. I doubt he'll get much further than that behind because we have so much quality in attack but we're into last chance saloon in terms of keeping those players and we can't risk giving Bruce all 3 chances at promotion with them if he looks like fucking it up again.

Offline Taylor

« Reply #17651 on: August 23, 2018, 12:21:07 PM »

1. They are all above us so I'm not sure of your point.
2. Absolutely, yet we have lost the last 2 at their place, and home advantage does tend to exist unless you've some evidence to the contrary?
Fair points. I just think it's a bit soon to write us off, a lot can happen before we play the reverse fixture.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:26:20 PM by Taylor »

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #17652 on: August 23, 2018, 12:29:37 PM »
Wish we did more that get it to the wing constantly as a lot of our crosses are poor.  Plus when we do cross we often only have 1-2 targets in the box.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #17653 on: August 23, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »

I'm.not sure if you're being sarcastic or not?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17654 on: August 24, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
There was an interesting line in a John Percy article about Stoke yesterday (A Journalist I respect a lot).

Here it is:

Could Rowett remedy the short-term situation with more new signings? There are eight days left before the EFL loan deadline and he is targeting Brentford's Ryan Woods whose move would become permanent in January for £6.5m . A new central defender and another striker would be useful, too.

There needs to be a serious wake-up call soon, or this season could sink even lower. Senior figures at Aston Villa always used to insist that avoiding a second successive relegation was a huge, under-rated achievement by Steve Bruce. 

Seems SB gets stick for not getting us in the top 6 in 16/17 but if his remit was just to sort the dressing room out and keep the club up....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal