collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2156174 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Bruce out
« Reply #15600 on: July 21, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
The problem is as Chris highlights; who is the new man, can we afford him, can he work with what we've got, can we be confident the owners have the expertise to choose and will he have enough time to strengthen.

Unless there's harmony in that choir, the choice to stick with Bruce is correct.

Most players can adapt to a different style if asked to short term. We hardly have a squad chock-a-bloc full of hoof merchants. Set the style now and those that can adapt we keep, and the rest we replace over the next
season or so.

End of the day its a rebuilding job whether Bruce stays or goes. Lets rebuild the right way.

Who in our setup has the neccasary skills to choose the right manager for the here and now of Aston Villa? We would see all sorts of chancers apply, just remember what happened down the road when new owners thought they could improve on Rowett.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #15601 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »
I'd add that the press release yesterday also said "We look forward to working with Dr Tony to undertake a thorough assessment and evaluation of the club in the coming weeks ..." which doesn't imply knee-jerk changes in the short-term.

Depends if Tony wanted Bruce gone but didn't have the means before now. The problems are there for all to see and not all to be laid at Bruce's door by any degree The question is the way forward. They may have definite opinions on Bruce's approach to promotion, ie loans and old men. If they don't agree with that, then it comes down to whether Bruce is capable of another way, and whether the club thinks he is. I'd say no on both counts,

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #15602 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:57 AM »
I'd add that the press release yesterday also said "We look forward to working with Dr Tony to undertake a thorough assessment and evaluation of the club in the coming weeks ..." which doesn't imply knee-jerk changes in the short-term.

And neither should it..  I'm one for getting rid of Bruce but even I have to accept that now is not the right time.

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #15603 on: July 21, 2018, 10:12:33 AM »
Fat Sam was always full of shit Brian to be fair. it is clear now that with the take over the most important signings this summer is a CEO who actually is a CEO and a manager who actually is a manager. And the latter isn't Bruce.

I wonder what David Dein is doing these days?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:49:46 PM by WassallVillain »

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #15604 on: July 21, 2018, 10:13:39 AM »
The problem is as Chris highlights; who is the new man, can we afford him, can he work with what we've got, can we be confident the owners have the expertise to choose and will he have enough time to strengthen.

Unless there's harmony in that choir, the choice to stick with Bruce is correct.

Most players can adapt to a different style if asked to short term. We hardly have a squad chock-a-bloc full of hoof merchants. Set the style now and those that can adapt we keep, and the rest we replace over the next
season or so.

End of the day its a rebuilding job whether Bruce stays or goes. Lets rebuild the right way.

Who in our setup has the neccasary skills to choose the right manager for the here and now of Aston Villa? We would see all sorts of chancers apply, just remember what happened down the road when new owners thought they could improve on Rowett.

You're right, but then that's always the case. Doesn't mean you keep the wrong person over the fear of making a mistake

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #15605 on: July 21, 2018, 10:16:46 AM »

season or so.

I think you're placing too much emphasis on this Chris.  These people are not idiots and will have expert input.

Neither you nor I could pick the right manager because only hindsight will tell you if it was a good appointment or not.  How could anyone possibly know whether Henry is a good choice or not?

If there is an ability to bring players in, then I believe that now is the right time to change manager.

Rowett had refused to extend his contract which was why they sacked him.  Randy Lerner didn't do too bad with his first appointment and he certainly didn't have the necessary skills required.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #15606 on: July 21, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
Bruce isn't getting potted and we aren't bringing in Henry. People need to understand that we aren't going gung ho (He) with a spending splurge.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #15607 on: July 21, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
so how do you see it panning out Chelts in the next few months?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #15608 on: July 21, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
Bruce isn't getting potted and we aren't bringing in Henry. People need to understand that we aren't going gung ho (He) with a spending splurge.

Tbh, i never thought we were. to me that's even more of a reason to get rid of Bruce

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #15609 on: July 21, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »

season or so.

You're right, but then that's always the case. Doesn't mean you keep the wrong person over the fear of making a mistake

I wouldn’t say it is always the case. A well run club will have the corporate structure in place to make the big decisions. I think that is the first task for the new team, to fill the gaps left by the departures of Wyness and Round. Then, when the time comes to change the manager, as it will, we do it from a position of relative stability.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #15610 on: July 21, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »

Tbh, i never thought we were. to me that's even more of a reason to get rid of Bruce

I don't think that anyone has suggested that we will be going gung ho.  It isn't rocket science to work out that we're still in deep water regarding FFP.  We don't need to have a war chest in order to change the manager though and the ability to wheel and deal is enough to warrant a change.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #15611 on: July 21, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
Fat Sam was always full of shit Brian to be fair. it is clear now that with the take over the most important signings this summer is a CEO who actually is a CEO and a manager who actually is a manager. And the latter isn't Bruce.

I wonder what David Devin is doing thes days?

He’s doing motivational speaking in Schools and prisons. He spoke at our school a few weeks ago and I had a brief chat with him afterwards. He spoke very fondly about he Villa and especially uncle Doug.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #15612 on: July 21, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »

season or so.

I wouldn’t say it is always the case. A well run club will have the corporate structure in place to make the big decisions. I think that is the first task for the new team, to fill the gaps left by the departures of Wyness and Round. Then, when the time comes to change the manager, as it will, we do it from a position of relative stability.

well yeah but we could end up with another wyness or round, so really there's the same risks involved choosing you're corporate structure as there is your manager. We've had some right dross doing the job in the boardroom but it doesn't mean we give up in case the next guy's are worse.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #15613 on: July 21, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »

so how do you see it panning out Chelts in the next few months?

On the ownership then Xia will quietly shuffle out of the door stage left inside a year and these will take it on full time.

Jack will definitely be sold this summer but for an appropriate amount. Chester MIGHT go as well. There will be money available for transfers and Bruce is under no illusion that he needs to make use of the kids.

If no obvious promotion challenge is apparent by the back end of this year he will get binned in favour of a progressive younger manager who will have remit to sort out the playing style and get us up the following season.

If we do go up then that is when the cheque books open but in a more sustainable way than our boom or bust efforts of recent times I.e. you bring in some experienced players but try to hoover up the best young talent for nurturing.

Bruce won't make it to Christmas is my guess but that is solely because I don't rate him to do the job. If he gets us challenging then he won't get the push.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #15614 on: July 21, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »

I don't think that anyone has suggested that we will be going gung ho.  It isn't rocket science to work out that we're still in deep water regarding FFP.  We don't need to have a war chest in order to change the manager though and the ability to wheel and deal is enough to warrant a change.

You need £2.5m to get rid of him and his coaches and you can treble the cost if you poach someone and their staff from elsewhere. We don't have £7m quid to throw at that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal