collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:32:05 AM]

Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 10:26:30 AM]

Diego Carlos by tomd2103
[Today at 10:24:33 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 10:24:22 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by martin o`who??
[Today at 10:21:43 AM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 10:17:02 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by N'ZMAV
[Today at 10:14:46 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by eamonn
[Today at 09:58:22 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2135714 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #15495 on: July 19, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »
Trying something that a majority of people would have considered prudent at the time and failing, versus doing nothing and failing ...

It's no contest for me. You want a manager who is dynamic, who is willing to make the changes that need to be made.

He's had no problem at all exiling McCormack to the wilderness for the remainder of his expensive contract for failing to show up to training, surely he could have had the balls to bench a few players to avoid them burning out completely.

But he didn't, and they did, and the whole season was a write-off as a result, along with everything we've been trying to build since May/June 2016.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #15496 on: July 19, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »
Who's to say that he'd made the changes and we'd still lost? People would be blaming him for changing a winning team, claiming we'd have won if he'd kept it the same.
The season was what it was, a near miss. Ultimately he didn't quite achieve it. He took us from near the relegation zone to mid table to 4th place in 20 months or so. If we'd still got the squad together maybe he'd now take us to top 2. Who knows.
He might be offloaded anyway if we get new owners but I liked what I saw against Walsall the other night. Not that I'm expecting it to be that easy most weeks of course.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #15497 on: July 19, 2018, 12:24:17 PM »
It’s not as if football managers get paid millions for making difficult decisions or anything.

Exactly.

Of course he'd have got stick if he'd changed a winning side and we'd lost.  Just the same way he gets stick for not changing a winning side and us losing.

It's not the case that he can't win - he can win, by, you know, winning!

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #15498 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »
Who's to say that he'd made the changes and we'd still lost? People would be blaming him for changing a winning team, claiming we'd have won if he'd kept it the same.

Stop talking sense. You know Bruce can't win.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #15499 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:29 PM »
The season was what it was, a near miss. Ultimately he didn't quite achieve it. He took us from near the relegation zone to mid table to 4th place in 20 months or so. If we'd still got the squad together maybe he'd now take us to top 2. Who knows.
He might be offloaded anyway if we get new owners but I liked what I saw against Walsall the other night. Not that I'm expecting it to be that easy most weeks of course.

Walsall are muck and some of their players were trialists. It's not even worth implying that the football we played the other night would permeate through to our league performances in any way, shape or form.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #15500 on: July 19, 2018, 01:26:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm with you, but it was nicer to see us stroke the ball around like Brazil 70 (well not quite) than get bogged down into some none football scrummage against Walsall like some pre seasons. It was positive is all I'm saying, on to the next one and all that.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #15501 on: July 19, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »
Yeah, I'm with you, but it was nicer to see us stroke the ball around like Brazil 70 (well not quite) than get bogged down into some none football scrummage against Walsall like some pre seasons. It was positive is all I'm saying, on to the next one and all that.

We can agree on that indeed

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15502 on: July 19, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
I agree with both, but the issue is we played well last summer as well, but it made almost no difference once Hull scored on the first weekend.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #15503 on: July 19, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
I agree with both, but the issue is we played well last summer as well, but it made almost no difference once Hull scored on the first weekend.

Exactly Paul, that's where I was trying to come from. We can't think of pre-season as anything other than warm-ups and a run-out for the lads. Clever managers will also use it to experiment with formations and tactics. Beyond that, the games mean nothing until the points start going on the board (or not, as the case may be... let's see).

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #15504 on: July 19, 2018, 05:21:28 PM »
well, apart from losing to Shrewsbury in the (opening?) game …. :-)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #15505 on: July 19, 2018, 05:49:34 PM »
well, apart from losing to Shrewsbury in the (opening?) game …. :-)

so did Wolves

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #15506 on: July 19, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »

A lot of the early stick Bruce got last season that led to the "hysteria" was that we looked pretty crap in pre-season, and carried on looking that way when the season started.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15507 on: July 19, 2018, 08:03:41 PM »

A lot of the early stick Bruce got last season that led to the "hysteria" was that we looked pretty crap in pre-season, and carried on looking that way when the season started.

I'd actually forgotten about the Shrewsbury game and was thinking of the fairly free flowing games against kidderminster and telford and then the 2 decent performances away in Germany.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #15508 on: July 19, 2018, 08:38:13 PM »

Last pre season this site was full of people moaning about our lack of goal threat and estimating we'd finish mid table

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #15509 on: July 19, 2018, 08:58:44 PM »
I'd keep Bruce now. I did say I'd sack him but in all this madness a bit of what you know might be what we need

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal