collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 04:22:22 AM]

Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 03:07:22 AM]

Diego Carlos by VillaTim
[Today at 03:06:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by darren woolley
[Today at 02:45:39 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by darren woolley
[Today at 02:41:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by KevinGage
[Today at 01:57:17 AM]

Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 01:29:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:22:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bruce Sacked at last (now official)  (Read 2139286 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: Bruce out
« Reply #15360 on: July 10, 2018, 06:25:35 PM »
Let’s not kid ourselves that he wouldn’t be off if he got another half decent opportunity.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he did an ONeill just after deadline day.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #15361 on: July 10, 2018, 06:29:29 PM »
Ok, let's say for the sake of argument Bruce hadn't done that interview at all. Do you really think clubs wouldn't have tried to get Jack on the cheap? Of course they would have. They would't have come along and offered us £40m, because they don't need to. They don't even need to offer £30m but we knew that last week and the week before. We the fans and the world of football didn't just find that out last night.

As I said though, unless only one club wants him, we're not going to take an insulting offer.  He's young, talented, and has the sort of ability missing from most sides.  He's also English which helps with UEFA rules.  As soon as any sort of auction situation arises, the value goes up.

There's also the fact that £15m isn't going to put much of a dent in our cash flow or FFP problems, so we'd be better off just going into administration than taking something that will make no difference.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15362 on: July 10, 2018, 06:34:08 PM »
Ok, let's say for the sake of argument Bruce hadn't done that interview at all. Do you really think clubs wouldn't have tried to get Jack on the cheap? Of course they would have. They would't have come along and offered us £40m, because they don't need to. They don't even need to offer £30m but we knew that last week and the week before. We the fans and the world of football didn't just find that out last night.

There's also the fact that £15m isn't going to put much of a dent in our cash flow or FFP problems, so we'd be better off just going into administration than taking something that will make no difference.

Wouldn't he go for next to nothing anyway if we went into administration though?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #15363 on: July 10, 2018, 07:14:51 PM »
We can nit pick all we like about his interview

but it basically boils down to this-

if you don’t want Bruce as manager and want him gone whatever he has to say grates and gets on your nerves

If you think Bruce is the man for us next season then you will find his interview ok and have no quibble with what he said

the actual interview is seen through the prism of the way we individually see Bruce

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:16:52 PM by john e »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #15364 on: July 10, 2018, 07:19:02 PM »
Not really I’ve been a supporter of his on balance and I think he needs to stay now purely due to the situation we are in.  Doesn’t mean to say that I thought his outing of valuations was at best naive at worst something MON would’ve done to fcuk us.

Offline achilles

« Reply #15365 on: July 10, 2018, 07:19:40 PM »
If the situation is as dire as Bruce makes out then I would prefer to go into administration, take the fine and points deduction and start afresh with some hope, not have it totally extinguished by ultimately pointless interviews like this one!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15366 on: July 10, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
I'm actually not that bothered by the interview because it's pretty much exactly what I'd have expected from him. He's shown repeatedly that he'll take any excuse he can find for why he shouldn't be blamed for anything and the current finances give him a ready-made excuse that could last for ages, he was never going to let it go unmentioned.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #15367 on: July 10, 2018, 07:52:04 PM »
Ironically, I think that Bruce is better suited to us now than ever before.  He has a track record of getting promotions with journeymen and average players.  He failed to succeed with our team because he didn't have the ability to take advantage of the class at his disposal.  He showed no faith in the player and played the numbers game with them.

Now that we're going to be left with generally average players, it may work better to play them as Bruce plays teams, ie restricting them.

Hopefully, with Jack going, we will revert back to 433 and play with a bit of pace in the final 3rd.  I see 6 starters in the squad:  Hutton & Elmo as full backs, Jedi, Connor & possibly BB working as a 3 and 2 out of Kodjia/Green/Albert.  People like Whelan, Lansbury etc will be good back up if we cannot shift them.

This leaves us to consider a keeper, 2 central defenders (assuming Chester goes) and a striker/wide player.

For me, that would be enough to push for top 6 next season.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #15368 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:32 PM »
If you believe Dr Tone, FFP is the issue, not going in to administration.

Fail FFP and we get penalised by the EFL. Start point for them seems to be a transfer ban but if we breach FFP and get promoted then they can dock us points to keep us down.

That's why we'll offload Grealish, because if we can't get promoted with him, what's the point in keeping him.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #15369 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:46 PM »
Absolutely this. Being honest is honourable, but what we need far more than that is some belief and positivity. If we're in as much trouble as appears, then we need to start using it to our advantage; create an attitude of us vs the world. Big up the kids, make them feel unbeatable. Give us something, anything, to get behind.

Isn't that OUR job as supporters ? to get behind OUR club and create that unwavering support they will need to thrive once the season kicks off ?

Or is that all down to the club again and none of our concern ?

When is it going to be OUR turn to do something positive in this dark summer ?

Buy a season ticket, go to the match, support the team. Not sit there waiting to grumble. What good will that do ? Villa Park needs to have the same unified/positive atmosphere as last season. Only us lot can do that job.
I’ll be a Villa fan till the day I die and hopefully beyond that like my son and now his sons are. I don’t support Steve Bruce. I don’t like his brand of football and never will, he wasn’t and will never be good enough for our club no matter what you say. I’ll be here shouting and screaming long after he is gone whenever that may be.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15370 on: July 10, 2018, 08:10:27 PM »

if you don’t want Bruce as manager and want him gone whatever he has to say grates and gets on your nerves

If you think Bruce is the man for us next season then you will find his interview ok and have no quibble with what he said

the actual interview is seen through the prism of the way we individually see Bruce
Not really. I've changed my mind on Bruce more times than I've changed my pants in the last year or so. But his interview was either very naive or very smart. Naive in the sense that it shows his negotiating skills to be amateurish at best. Smart if he's actually trying to piss the owner off enough to send him packing with a massive wad in his pocket. The other scenario is that he's built up a nice little stock of ready made excuses. All are equally feasible imo.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #15371 on: July 10, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »
It is depressing, but I just don't know who people think we'd get in his place with the club being in such a mess.  I hope it will garner a backs against the wall all for one attitude.  Cardiff had a shite team ad got promoted off a great attitude and solid defence.  We could so the same with some luck.  Bruce is good at that kind of side.     

I'd imagine the majority of the teams in the Championship last season had a negative transfer trading balance. It's nothing new. What Bruce is good at I've yet to discover. I hope he doesn't go for the Cardiff approach as if it fails we'll be left with a right bunch of cloggers.

That's precisely what I'd like to see happen if it gets us promoted after having to sell most of our best players

And IF it doesn't?

It won't be as bad as not getting promoted and then struggling to pay the tax bill! :-)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #15372 on: July 10, 2018, 09:55:28 PM »

Yes indeed

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #15373 on: July 10, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »

I agree to some extent. But

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #15374 on: July 10, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
Fat fingers strikes again.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:15:18 PM by TheMalandro »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal