collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Birkir Bjarnason - Released  (Read 136002 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Birkir Bjarnason - SIGNED
« Reply #570 on: February 01, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »
and with respect, Brian, neither could Thor up until a couple of weeks ago. In fact, when I first saw him 'play', I thought football was a completely alien concept to the guy. But top marks for the last few weeks.

I thought he was shocking in the first half against Sheffield, but much improved after the break.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #571 on: February 01, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »
I thought the same. At half time I was hoping he was gonna be taken off as we weren't at the races and the midfield was being dominated. Gotta say I'm not convinced by him yet either technically or composure wise (although I appreciate his endeavour). I've a feeling Axel Tuanzebe will take his chance when it comes along.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:09:48 AM by Diablo »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2018, 11:57:29 AM »
There's always been a decent player there. Some players coming over here and take time to settle and get used to it. I'd still prefer to see him further up the pitch though but he's doing well where he is for now.

Agree with that Clampy.  From watching clips of him playing for previous clubs and for Iceland, he looks like he has a knack for getting into the box and getting goals here and there. 

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #573 on: February 01, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
I through in general the MF was poor FH , Sheffields 5 man midfield were dominating and neither Thor or Houriane were up to much .Thor got better in 2nd half his mobility is a clear benefit in the area other Whelan and Jedinek his passing got better too.

I think he could play as part of a 3 man midfield with say Axel as the DM if we needed to be more solid whats clear his that he is no wide player.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #574 on: February 01, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »
I through in general the MF was poor FH , Sheffields 5 man midfield were dominating and neither Thor or Houriane were up to much .Thor got better in 2nd half his mobility is a clear benefit in the area other Whelan and Jedinek his passing got better too.

I think he could play as part of a 3 man midfield with say Axel as the DM if we needed to be more solid whats clear his that he is no wide player.

Definitely agree about that.  I would like to see him given a chance in that more advanced role, but he is doing fine where he is for the time being.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #575 on: February 01, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
and with respect, Brian, neither could Thor up until a couple of weeks ago. In fact, when I first saw him 'play', I thought football was a completely alien concept to the guy. But top marks for the last few weeks.

I thought he was shocking in the first half against Sheffield, but much improved after the break.
Was keeping a good eye on him (due to this thread) - and didn't see him as the culprit of the 1st half (AA and Elmo) - the balls were being lumped up and down, and we generally were messy. Some of the passes that didn't hit target was just as much to do with the receiver of the ball not doing his bit.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #576 on: February 01, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »

Was keeping a good eye on him (due to this thread) - and didn't see him as the culprit of the 1st half (AA and Elmo) - the balls were being lumped up and down, and we generally were messy. Some of the passes that didn't hit target was just as much to do with the receiver of the ball not doing his bit.

I musty admit that I read the negative comments about him on the match thread, while watching the game. I just assumed that the posters were watching Antiques Roadshow repeats on Dave and were just expressing their pre-conceived opinions. :)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #577 on: February 01, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »
Match thread comments are of no value.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #578 on: February 01, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »
TV I am sure you remember Des Bremner? He was never rated as a footballer by many but was such an effective part of our team at that time. I hope Barny keeps on improving and become a key cog in our wheel.
the other one I thought of was Frank Carrodus, never standout but was very important for the team

Oh yes please either of those two

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #579 on: February 01, 2018, 07:38:04 PM »
I don't know. "Fffffyeeeeefapfapfapyeaharrgghh!!!" is quite informative.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #580 on: February 01, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »

Au contraire,  I find that because they're given without really having time to consider them properly, they're usually the most honest and accurate comments on the site.  The first half was utter shite.  The second half was a fair bit better, but the last minute winner obviously elevated that by a factor of several times.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #581 on: February 01, 2018, 08:28:44 PM »

Au contraire,  I find that because they're given without really having time to consider them properly, they're usually the most honest and accurate comments on the site.  The first half was utter shite.  The second half was a fair bit better, but the last minute winner obviously elevated that by a factor of several times.

We appeared to get stronger as the second half went on, which must be the first time I've thought that of a Villa side for what seems like decades.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #582 on: February 01, 2018, 09:05:24 PM »
I thought we got better in the second half which given how the first half went shouldn’t have been much to ask. The cup game might have taken its toll on them a little but also credit Bruce and his team for making adjustments at the break. And probably having a word also about upping our game.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #583 on: February 12, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »
Did he leave the field quickly because of petulance or did he need a wee? 

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #584 on: February 12, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
Did he leave the field quickly because of petulance or did he need a wee?
I mentioned this in the post match thread but I wonder if he was 100% - he looked a bit peaky to me...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal