collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299832 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Conor Hourihane - good luck abroad
« Reply #1995 on: May 18, 2021, 05:12:25 PM »
He's one of my favourite Villa players but he's not good enough for a top 10 Prem team which is where we want to be.

Thanks for everything Conor, especially helping to get us out of the Championship, and best of luck getting Swansea promoted.

Agree entirely about Conor, but it would be nice to see a new team in the PL. I've seen enough of Swansea and Bournemouth

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1996 on: May 18, 2021, 06:38:48 PM »
Must have felt odd for him last night playing against his old team and the fans who loved him at Barnsley.

If you'd have told him a year ago that Barnsley would be in the play-offs and he'd be playing against them at Oakwell, well... he would have told you to lay-off the Beamish.

Online Olof's Beard

« Reply #1997 on: May 18, 2021, 06:58:02 PM »
Still love Conor but I think there are a few rumbles from Swansea fans about him. He seems to have tailed off significantly after a stupendous start. There's not better proof of their discontent that the fact he had the lowest rating of any starting player on the BBC 'rate the players' thingy last night.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1998 on: May 19, 2021, 01:39:58 PM »
Still love Conor but I think there are a few rumbles from Swansea fans about him. He seems to have tailed off significantly after a stupendous start. There's not better proof of their discontent that the fact he had the lowest rating of any starting player on the BBC 'rate the players' thingy last night.

I had a look on the Swansea forum when he signed, and they came across as a right bunch of morons, so fuck their opinion.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1999 on: May 30, 2021, 02:10:20 AM »
Lost out in the play-off final at Wembley today (he must have mixed feelings about that place!) with Swansea. I wonder what the future holds for him now with his loan spell up.

Since he's gone to Swansea, Barkley has tailed-off and is now gone; Sanson has come and cameo'd before getting crocked; Luiz has flattered to deceive; Nakamba has been mostly on the periphery yet played a key role in two season-ending wins over scab-six sides; Ramsey has got more game time under his belt; Meatball continues to be Deano's fave of the lot and now Chuck W is the next contender.

That's a hell of a lot of competition. Whatever Dean said at the time about looking forward to having Conor back in the summer, I can't see a future for him here despite the year left on his contract. Is his goose cooked? 

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2000 on: May 30, 2021, 02:48:50 AM »
Like Elmo I have a lot of respect for him, came in when we were a basket case, got the club and played a big part in were we are now. For me  I will always have a big fondness for him but its time to move on now and at 28/29 he still has an awful lot to offer to the right club.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2001 on: May 30, 2021, 04:27:09 AM »
I think he will end up in the Championship at a side that is aspiring to come up. And in a full season he will have great stats at that level. Some screaming goals and a number of assists. He’s just no longer an effective PL level player.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #2002 on: May 30, 2021, 07:10:30 AM »
He’ll end up at WBA

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2003 on: May 30, 2021, 07:22:30 AM »
He's just another one of those Bruce players that we signed for promotion. Quality at Championship level, squad man in the Premiership. Nothing wrong with that given the crap we came down with and he's repaid his transfer fee many times over. I would think they'd be a queue of Championship clubs looking at him unless wages are a big problem.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2004 on: May 30, 2021, 07:47:57 AM »
He’ll end up at WBA

Poor chap.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2005 on: May 30, 2021, 07:48:59 AM »
I would be amazed if he ever kicked a ball for us in a premier league game

Watched a bit of that game yesterday he was poor, did not even sprint back to help there defence for the 2nd goal, it was the Connor jog and a shrug of the shoulders

If he does not get a loan or a move this summer at least next season he will have every weekend off - enjoy your last season on good money from next July he will struggle to get a championship team interested in him

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2006 on: May 30, 2021, 07:53:43 AM »
I think he will end up in the Championship at a side that is aspiring to come up. And in a full season he will have great stats at that level. Some screaming goals and a number of assists. He’s just no longer an effective PL level player.

I think he is. Not at the level we aim to be at, but he'd be fine at the likes of Burnley.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2007 on: May 30, 2021, 08:08:49 AM »

I think he is. Not at the level we aim to be at, but he'd be fine at the likes of Burnley.
Yeah, I'm of a similar opinion. I think he's actually a pretty decent Premier League player, the main issue is that he doesn't really suit our style under Dean Smith.

I'd be inclined to say that in the right set up, he'd do really well. We play a really high intensity, attacking game, whereas I think Conor would probably suit a more defensive  side. Thinking sides like England whose game plan revolves around set pieces.

He's a bit of a one trick pony - but his trick is scoring goals, and he's extremely good at it.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2008 on: May 30, 2021, 08:14:38 AM »
Trouble is at Premiership level the goals dry up.

Online Olof's Beard

« Reply #2009 on: May 30, 2021, 08:31:44 AM »
The opinion of Swansea fans is overwhelmingly negative from any glance at their forums. He's a lot more loved at Villa but he's not going to play and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

This from a Swansea fan doesn't reflect the Conor we know:

I'llot mince words here -a Ive had a few drinks.Houlihane is the biggest coward ,biggest disgrace to our fine club we have ever had. An appalling professional and one we should have simply accepted was a mistake.
Lacking in energy,committmen t,courage and skill ,he was a stain on our shirt.And he started today folks. He started.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal