collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 300042 times)

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1845 on: January 20, 2021, 01:13:45 PM »
anyway, echo all the comments here. conor has been a great professional for villa and given he worked his way up through the leagues, he clearly appreciated what it meant to play for a club like us. hope he does well at swansea.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1846 on: January 22, 2021, 01:16:54 AM »
All the best for the future, Conor, and thanks for everything, especially your contribution to our promotion, and us staying up last season! X
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 01:18:30 AM by Behind Bluenose Lines »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1847 on: January 22, 2021, 01:51:09 AM »

From Swansea City's website:

Conor Hourihane hopes he can be part of something special at Swansea City having sealed his loan move from Aston Villa, subject to international clearance.

The 29-year-old will spend the rest of the 2020-21 season at the Liberty Stadium, and adds to Steve Cooper’s midfield options following the recalls of Morgan Gibbs-White and Kasey Palmer.

Hourihane is a proven top-level performer, and has played a key role in two promotions having helped Barnsley and Aston Villa go up via the play-offs.

He has made 150 appearances for the Villans, scoring 29 goals, including one at the Liberty in a 1-0 win on Boxing Day 2018.

And the Republic of Ireland international, known for his energy and threat from set-pieces, has made clear he wants to make a big impact with the Swans challenging near the top of the Championship table.

“I am delighted to be here. It is great to get it done early in the window, I am really excited and I want to get stuck into it,” said Hourihane.

“The gaffer has been great with me when we have spoken, he made it clear he wanted me here and I have heard so many good things about the style of play and what it’s like to live in the city.

“It just ticked all the boxes and it made the decision quite easy.

“I am desperate to play, I could have sat around at Villa for the rest of the season, but I want to play. I hope I can bring some experience as I have had a couple of promotions in my career.

“But I want to add quality too, in terms of goals and assists my numbers have been pretty good in seasons where I have played, so I hope I can bring that here.

“The lads have put themselves in a great position, it’s going to be a fantastic run-in and I hope I can help them along over the second half of the season and achieve what we all want to achieve.

“I am excited by the challenge, and I want to come down here and achieve.

“I wanted to get out there and have another challenge, I want to be part of something. I want to cement the side high up the table and try and provide a bit extra over the rest of the season.”

Hourihane also revealed how a former Swan, now on the books at Villa, had left him with only positive impressions of his former club, and left him in no doubt as to what was the right move for him despite interest from elsewhere.

“Yeah, Neil Taylor is a good friend of mine, we actually signed for Aston Villa during the same January window four years ago,” added Hourihane.

“We have been good friends ever since, we talk all the time and he has been telling me about Swansea City, and hearing good things from him helped me to come down.”

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #1848 on: January 22, 2021, 06:58:52 AM »
Good luck Conor.

Swansea have got themselves a fine player.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1849 on: January 22, 2021, 12:04:02 PM »
He's on Talksport soon.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1850 on: January 22, 2021, 12:19:13 PM »
What stood out to me is where he says "It is great to get it done early in the window" when it's the 22nd. It probably says more about the January window than it does of his awareness of time.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1851 on: January 22, 2021, 08:35:51 PM »
Conor Hourihane-Wales Online

"It was tough leaving Villa to be honest with you," he explained.

"It’s a fantastic football club and I’ve had four fantastic years there. I signed there four years ago this January. It was a difficult decision but it came down to game-time and I feel good.

"It’s been disappointing, there is no doubt about that. I’ve worked ever so hard to get to that level.

"My first year, last year, I played a lot of the games and was heavily involved which was great. For whatever reason the club has gone in another direction and moved away from myself. That’s life and that’s football.

"They’ve brought in a lot of quality and spent a lot of money. I’m 30 next month and your career passes by very, very quickly. When there was an opportunity for me to go out on loan I snapped it up."

Online FatSam

« Reply #1852 on: January 22, 2021, 08:45:16 PM »
You can’t fault his attitude. I wish you could say the same for Lansbury.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1853 on: January 22, 2021, 08:52:49 PM »
Great attitude and has been an important player.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Conor Hourihane - good luck abroad
« Reply #1854 on: January 22, 2021, 09:24:54 PM »
Interesting that his comments suggest he is resigned to not playing for Villa again whereas Dean says it's a great opportunity for him to get more game time before coming back in the summer. I guess he has to say that.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1855 on: January 22, 2021, 10:59:53 PM »
An instrumental and important part in our resurrection, thanks Conor

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #1856 on: January 23, 2021, 07:39:21 AM »
Good man and good luck

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #1857 on: January 23, 2021, 09:52:49 AM »
He could be quiet in games, but then pop up with a cracking finish or a splendid set piece. Not quite at the level we're aiming for, but probably too good for the Championship.

Best of luck to him.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1858 on: January 23, 2021, 10:27:58 AM »
Great attitude and has been an important player.

100%. Good luck Conor.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1859 on: January 23, 2021, 02:30:41 PM »
Starts for Swansea today. BT Sport Extra 3 if anyone wants to see how he gets on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal