collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 299934 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #870 on: December 02, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »
The ridiculous thing is that pretty much the only time Hourihane has been played in his natural position he scored a hat trick.

Come on Brucie, it's not that hard.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #871 on: December 03, 2017, 12:02:17 AM »
I think with Terry missing we are having to protect the back 4 a little more so the centre of midfield plays a little deeper, particularly away from home against the better sides. That is why he is getting forward less.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #872 on: December 03, 2017, 12:06:26 AM »
A central midfielder has to defend as well, think Conor was off the pace last night but like him. He has to show his class, like others

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #873 on: December 03, 2017, 12:32:22 AM »
I think he is being asked to play a role that does not come naturally to him.
He is a creative midfield player yet he is being asked to run and close gaps along side Whelan.
The way Bruce sets us up we are often getting over run in midfield.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #874 on: December 03, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
We were overrun in the second half at Wolves but I cannot recall that happening since.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #875 on: December 03, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
We were overrun in the second half at Wolves but I cannot recall that happening since.

First half against Leeds.  30% possession and second by miles to every ball.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #876 on: December 03, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »

True they dominated us at the start but the difference from Wolves was that they looked a threat whereas Leeds only managed one shot on target.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #877 on: December 03, 2017, 09:39:52 AM »

True they dominated us at the start but the difference from Wolves was that they looked a threat whereas Leeds only managed one shot on target.

This. Did Johnstone make a save all game against Leeds? Wolves were miles better than us though but they've been miles better than most teams.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #878 on: December 03, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »
I think he is being asked to play a role that does not come naturally to him.
He is a creative midfield player yet he is being asked to run and close gaps along side Whelan.
The way Bruce sets us up we are often getting over run in midfield.

I thought at Barnsley that he played the role of the deep lying playmaker as part of a sitting 2? I think we look a lot more compact with 2 sitting midfielders but agree it's impacted Hourihane's performances. As others have said, swapping Onomah and Hourihane might work better, even for parts of games.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #879 on: December 03, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »

First half Blose, I am trying to point out that we are often 2 v 3 in the centre mid and Hourihane is being asked to spend more time defending.
Of course because this Is taken as  a criticism of the manager it gets jumped on by the usual suspects.
Sad we can not even debate team set up.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #880 on: December 03, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »

First half Blose, I am trying to point out that we are often 2 v 3 in the centre mid and Hourihane is being asked to spend more time defending.
Of course because this Is taken as  a criticism of the manager it gets jumped on by the usual suspects.

Bollocks. You get as much chance to debate as anyone else does. You've never been prevented, you've never been stopped and as for being "jumped on" it's getting a bit tiresome when the "Poor me" bit is wheeled out yet again. If you don't want anyone to ever disagree with you or if you're not happy on here, go somewhere else.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #881 on: December 03, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »

Bollocks. You get as much chance to debate as anyone else does. You've never been prevented, you've never been stopped and as for being "jumped on" it's getting a bit tiresome when the "Poor me" bit is wheeled out yet again. If you don't want anyone to ever disagree with you or if you're not happy on here, go somewhere else.
I was genuinely trying to have a discussion about the player on the thread and the way the manager sets the team up and said impact on the player and the team.
That’s all.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #882 on: December 03, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »

First half Sheff Weds. They had us chasing shadows.

I agree with Bronté. We have options in midfield and see Whelan as a better defensive midfielder, Omanah better deeper but with some freedom and Hourihane (and Lansbury) further up the pitch or at least going box to box. Until we get the midfield functioning to their strengths and potential we'll continue to have the 3rd best defence but only the 9th best attack. Even with our striker injuries there's plenty of goals in this side and it's something we need to improve.

It's still early days but I honestly believe once we do click we'll smashing a few teams.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #883 on: December 03, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »

I was genuinely trying to have a discussion about the player on the thread and the way the manager sets the team up and said impact on the player and the team.
That’s all.

And you got one.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #884 on: December 03, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »

First half Sheff Weds. They had us chasing shadows.

I agree with Bronté. We have options in midfield and see Whelan as a better defensive midfielder, Omanah better deeper but with some freedom and Hourihane (and Lansbury) further up the pitch or at least going box to box. Until we get the midfield functioning to their strengths and potential we'll continue to have the 3rd best defence but only the 9th best attack. Even with our striker injuries there's plenty of goals in this side and it's something we need to improve.

It's still early days but I honestly believe once we do click we'll smashing a few teams.

I think our best set up in midfield would be a three with Whelan and Jedinak holding and with Onomah and Hourihane pushed further up like they were against Norwich.  The problem with that formation is when you come up against a side who also play with a holding midfielder (Brentford at home this season is a good example).  Not only did Davis get very isolated because they had a player in front of him, but Onomah and Hourihane ended up getting pushed back and Whelan ended up picking up no one. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal