collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:25:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 04:25:12 PM]

[Today at 04:22:39 PM]

[Today at 04:21:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 04:20:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 04:19:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 04:18:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 04:17:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 303222 times)

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1380 on: May 29, 2019, 04:00:53 PM »
On Ashley Westwood winning Burnley's POTS:
"... I want to kick on and now do even better in a claret shirt."
Well done to the boy.

I mean it.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1382 on: May 29, 2019, 04:44:35 PM »
On Ashley Westwood winning Burnley's POTS:
"... I want to kick on and now do even better in a claret shirt."
Well done to the boy.

I mean it.

Agreed.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1383 on: May 29, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »
Conor is in enigma to me, as I suspect he is to most of us.

His quality on certain occasions is undeniable. I take great comfort from the fact that he didn't choke on the big day this year and was one of our best players at Wembley. But the same fixture last year, he was at the other end of the scale - one of the guiltiest parties in an overall lacklustre (just being polite here) performance.

His overall season stats are always impressive - 8 goals 11 assists this season, 11 goals 2 assists last year. He's obviously worked on the delivery side of his game and it shows, but I can't help but feel the stats have flattered to deceive at times. In some games he looks way off the pace, incapable of tackling at all and certainly not the best passer on the pitch.

But at Wembley... my god, he looked like a different player? His pass completion rate was great, he covered a lot of ground, he was tenacious out of possession, he looked a proper midfielder. It looks to me as if he could be anything he wants to be. On the flip side, you never know which Conor you're going to get, which makes me wonder if it's a mentality issue.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1384 on: May 29, 2019, 04:52:43 PM »

His quality on certain occasions is undeniable. I take great comfort from the fact that he didn't choke on the big day this year and was one of our best players at Wembley. But the same fixture last year, he was at the other end of the scale - one of the guiltiest parties in an overall lacklustre (just being polite here) performance.

His overall season stats are always impressive - 8 goals 11 assists this season, 11 goals 2 assists last year. He's obviously worked on the delivery side of his game and it shows, but I can't help but feel the stats have flattered to deceive at times. In some games he looks way off the pace, incapable of tackling at all and certainly not the best passer on the pitch.

But at Wembley... my god, he looked like a different player? His pass completion rate was great, he covered a lot of ground, he was tenacious out of possession, he looked a proper midfielder. It looks to me as if he could be anything he wants to be. On the flip side, you never know which Conor you're going to get, which makes me wonder if it's a mentality issue.

There was only one guilty man last year, and he was thereabouts (though not, again, there) this season too.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1385 on: May 29, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »

Thought he had a good game at Wembley and thought it was between him and McGinn for Man of the Match.  Not sure he will be good enough for the top flight, but worth keeping as a squad player for next season.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1386 on: May 29, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
Credit where it’s due, he has played well during the run in and contributed in the play offs.
I can’t forget how poor he was for many g Ames this season and particularly during the time Jack was out.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1387 on: May 29, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »
I really like Hourihane. He scores regular belters, was first on the scene when Grealish was assaulted, as well as communicating to those Leeds pricks - using the necessary level of force - a thing or two about sportsmanship.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1388 on: May 29, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
I thought he played really well in a different role in the play-off final.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1389 on: May 29, 2019, 06:22:59 PM »
Has been very good all the way through our unbeaten run, and was one of our best players in all three playoff matches.

Like most of the team he looks better when Jack is playing, and like all our midfield he played better in front of a better defence. He certainly deserves a place in the squad next season, and it would not surprise me to see him cement a place in the team even after we recruit a few more players.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1390 on: May 29, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »
Has been very good all the way through our unbeaten run, and was one of our best players in all three playoff matches.

Like most of the team he looks better when Jack is playing, and like all our midfield he played better in front of a better defence. He certainly deserves a place in the squad next season, and it would not surprise me to see him cement a place in the team even after we recruit a few more players.

That’s how I see it, when the team is unbalanced players have to worry about things other than their own job. Get it functioning as a unit and you can properly judge their individual qualities.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1391 on: May 29, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »

That’s how I see it, when the team is unbalanced players have to worry about things other than their own job. Get it functioning as a unit and you can properly judge their individual qualities.

Yeah, you only have to look at how many players that were terrible for Villa in our relegation season but have done well elsewhere to see how the overall team effects performance.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1392 on: May 29, 2019, 07:57:50 PM »
He's an upgrade on Westwood so if Westwood can become an established Premier League player, Hourihane will have no trouble.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1393 on: May 29, 2019, 07:59:28 PM »
Lovely first time pass in to space for the first goal.  SJM's dummy was extravagant!

Offline KRS

« Reply #1394 on: May 29, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »
With the outgoing midfielders (which should be Jedinak, Whelan, Lansbury and BB) we’ll need to sign at least 2 more in the summer to compliment Jack and SJM, and Conor has shown enough in the last half of the season that he can at least contribute to the squad. We all know he has his faults at times but I expect him to hold his own in the Premier League (particularly against mid table opposition), and his improvement in attitude, tenacity and confidence is clear for all to see now, so fairplay to him for getting his head down and turning his season around. With continued good coaching and playing alongside better players, we will hopefully see more to come from Conor.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal