collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 240 | Comments: 1

These days a ten year old is l...
November 20, 2020, 12:28:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 423 | Comments: 3

In the euphoria of the resumpt...
November 18, 2020, 11:57:57 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 402 | Comments: 2

By Christmas 1936 those who ex...
November 05, 2020, 12:10:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1141 | Comments: 8

This weekend sees the thirtiet...
October 28, 2020, 02:06:34 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1021 | Comments: 8

[url=https://ibb.c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Henri Lansbury - SIGNED  (Read 72606 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
Re: Henri Lansbury - SIGNED
« Reply #750 on: October 28, 2020, 09:26:01 PM »
Given when we bought him, I now find myself reckoning it was because he was seen as a better option than Grealish.

Bruce effectively swapped out Gardner and Westwood for Hourihane and Lansbury if I recall correctly. I was at a horrible away day in Cardiff a few years back where Gardner and Westwood were taken off at half time I think, Tshibola came on and did well. Not sure if they played much or at all for us again. Both Hourihane and Lansbury's contracts were running out at their respective clubs and Bruce got them in that January best of the championship blitz with Hogan.

Lansbury was dreadful for us in the championship and from very early on it looked a big mistake. Think he played 10 at Forest but Bruce tried him at 6 or 8. Was utterly useless anyway. Noone forced the club to give him his current contract though. I don't think he'll play much again post Villa.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #751 on: October 28, 2020, 09:35:05 PM »
I could never understand the reluctance to play Tshibola. He always looked decent when he got a game.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #752 on: October 28, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »
Given when we bought him, I now find myself reckoning it was because he was seen as a better option than Grealish.

Bruce effectively swapped out Gardner and Westwood for Hourihane and Lansbury if I recall correctly. I was at a horrible away day in Cardiff a few years back where Gardner and Westwood were taken off at half time I think, Tshibola came on and did well. Not sure if they played much or at all for us again. Both Hourihane and Lansbury's contracts were running out at their respective clubs and Bruce got them in that January best of the championship blitz with Hogan.

Lansbury was dreadful for us in the championship and from very early on it looked a big mistake. Think he played 10 at Forest but Bruce tried him at 6 or 8. Was utterly useless anyway. Noone forced the club to give him his current contract though. I don't think he'll play much again post Villa.

Bruce did what he does and signed 3 midfielders in a couple of days of each other with no thought of how they'd play together or how to use them all within the existing squad. It became clear pretty quickly that Lansbury and Bjarnason were a bit pointless because neither looked like nailing down a regular spot in the team. If you're going to sign people to sit on the bench they need to be at most about 24. Players older than that who can't get a start in your best team guarantee a drop in quality if they have to play and/or prove a nightmare to get rid if a couple of years later when they've dropped even further down the pecking order behind the academy prospects you're trying to get involved with the first team.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #753 on: October 28, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
My music teacher at school was a Mr Lansbury. Nobody messed about in his class as he was a right mentalist. I was watching a Villa UEFA Cup game one afternoon in the pub and I got talking to a Villa fan who had to shoot off early to go to his daughter's parents evening at my old school. He said he wasn't looking forward to meeting his old music teacher Mr Lansbury as he was just as scared of him at parents evenings as he was as a pupil.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #754 on: October 28, 2020, 10:20:47 PM »
I could never understand the reluctance to play Tshibola. He always looked decent when he got a game.

Agreed. What happened to him?

5m. Ouch

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #755 on: October 28, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »
Currently at Kilmarnock for a 3rd time after a couple of clubs abroad.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #756 on: October 28, 2020, 11:11:18 PM »

It's true Jack wasn't a regular starter in 16/17 until pretty late on in the season. Given he was still playing up off the field early part of that side the maturity he (usually) now has wasn't there. And we were also loaded upfront with Ayew, Adomah, McCormack, Kodj, Gestede etc.

Our midfield options were dire though even in Bruce team. It was Westwood-Gardner-Jedinak and Bacuna ended the season playing central midfield IIRC which says it all so we were desperate for midfield creativity and so Lansbury and Hourihane turned up.

I'm not too bothered about the wages as he was on a decent whack at Forest as their captain but what on earth where we smoking handing out 4 and a half year deals to him, Hogan and Taylor. Made them all virtually unshiftable and it's not like Lansbury was some young prospect, 3 year deals for them all would've made sense as we could've got rid of them last summer without any fuss.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #757 on: October 29, 2020, 12:27:37 AM »

It's true Jack wasn't a regular starter in 16/17 until pretty late on in the season. Given he was still playing up off the field early part of that side the maturity he (usually) now has wasn't there. And we were also loaded upfront with Ayew, Adomah, McCormack, Kodj, Gestede etc.

Our midfield options were dire though even in Bruce team. It was Westwood-Gardner-Jedinak and Bacuna ended the season playing central midfield IIRC which says it all so we were desperate for midfield creativity and so Lansbury and Hourihane turned up.

I'm not too bothered about the wages as he was on a decent whack at Forest as their captain but what on earth where we smoking handing out 4 and a half year deals to him, Hogan and Taylor. Made them all virtually unshiftable and it's not like Lansbury was some young prospect, 3 year deals for them all would've made sense as we could've got rid of them last summer without any fuss.

I don't think that's right, he started 8-9 of the games under RDM and generally played the home games for the first few months under Bruce but was only trusted with cameos from the bench in the aways.

It was the second half of the season where he barely played because he got a red (for 2 yellows if i remember right) in early February and then was barely seen until Easter.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #758 on: October 29, 2020, 08:18:07 AM »

That is a good point - I only remember him fleetingly but he seemed to have good technique

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #759 on: October 29, 2020, 08:25:50 AM »
Every time I see this thread I'm hoping it's going to be the news that Lansbury has been released. Never mind, one day.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #760 on: October 29, 2020, 05:37:17 PM »

Agreed. What happened to him?

5m. Ouch

We can thank Steve Clarke for that.

Online john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #761 on: October 29, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »
He came down to my local team MK Dons and started of very well,
I only know this because I have friends including my son in law who support MK

He was on loan at the time so I was interested because as Dave has said I also thought there was  something there
anyway after a few rave reviews he stared acting up and ended up a liability I think they sent him back

I can only presume he is one of a long line of players gifted with ability but no application, discipline, desire call it what you will

I wonder how many players at all levels wake up in there mid to late 30's thinking if only I had my time again
in fairness my own Son is one of them
I fear Tshibola will be another

Offline Fingers

• GM : 28.01.2021
« Reply #762 on: October 29, 2020, 07:54:19 PM »
Currently at Kilmarnock for a 3rd time after a couple of clubs abroad.
Says it all really.  Had no legs at all for the Championship.  Thought he was poor. 

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 02.03.2021
« Reply #763 on: October 29, 2020, 09:16:38 PM »

Could be worse, Chelsea still have Drinkwater for 2 more years on 100k a week. Will have cost them 60m in total.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2021
« Reply #764 on: October 29, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »
I think we signed him on the back of the 2-2 draw with Forest when we battered them but Hurrah Henri scored the equaliser.  He seemed a decent buy back them but it just hasn't worked out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal