collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Bernie
[Today at 04:45:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Bernie
[Today at 04:44:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by dubont
[Today at 04:44:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by TopDeck113
[Today at 04:41:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:41:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by TopDeck113
[Today at 04:41:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 04:40:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ducksworthy
[Today at 04:40:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham Taylor  (Read 102569 times)

Online villabear

Re: Sir Graham Taylor has died
« Reply #375 on: January 13, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »
Apperently and unfortunately it is going to be a minutes applause with the two captains and some ex players laying flowers from what has come out from Wolves today.

I agree with andyh that the silence would be more appropriate and a fitting tribute to a caring, kind and dignified man.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #377 on: January 13, 2017, 07:04:53 PM »
Read a lovely story on Twitter today from former Watford player, Gifton Noel-Williams.

He was a young lad at Watford when SGT took over for the second time. He got called into SGT office and had recently become a young father and was worried that SGT was gonna give him a bollocking. SGT sat him down and asked if he was ok for money, did he need anything for the baby? Noel - Williams said he needed about 300 pounds worth of things for the baby. SGT got out his own personal cheque book and wrote a cheque for a grand to give to Noel-Williams. Told him not to worry about money and concentrate on his football and when he is at home, his young child.

We we're so lucky to have him as a part of the Villa family.

That's just made me weep like a baby

You're not alone mate, I was like that earlier when I first read it.

Offline supertom

« Reply #378 on: January 13, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »
Nicely covered on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today. A couple of touching stories, no doubt have been mentioned on this thread. Needless to say I was getting misty eyed at work listening to it. Seems that virtually everyone who met him thought he was a thoroughly good bloke.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #379 on: January 13, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »
There will be tributes at Halesowen Town tomorrow prior to the match against Whitby. Sir Graham is remembered fondly by many Yeltz folk.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #380 on: January 13, 2017, 08:26:38 PM »
It's been bittersweet to read all the memories of Sir Graham on here and round and about. You just get the impression of a fantastic person who cared about other people, and if we came across folk like that more often, life would be a much nicer place. Not just for his achievements but for just being Graham Taylor means he'll be greatly missed.

I never met him, but my granddad Bill used to drink in the Hardwick Arms in Streetly. On the odd occasion Villa players would pop in, and so would Sir Graham. One day I came home from school to be handed a set of Villa's published accounts for the season with his autograph on the front. My granddad explained that I was Villa mad, and Sir Graham said it was the only thing he had on him that had anything Villa on it that he could sign. In the subsequent years I recieved signed footballs and other bits and bobs, and would still treasure them if I hadn't lost them in a house fire some years ago. Bill used to get Christmas cards from the whole squad. Losing Sir Graham makes me feel like I've lost another piece of my granddad. It sucks.

RIP, Sir. You'll be greatly mourned.

Online Steve kirk

« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
So many Sir Graham's stories have had me having a little weep but Jon Croft's tale was the most moving, got a little story of my own, when SGT returned the 2nd time he was on a Radio WM phone in back when it was a decent sports station, Graham mentioned that he had always tried to personally reply to as many fans as possible so I got in touch, I wrote the letters from Steve, David and Sean Kirk ( My 2 sons), we would sit down and decide what to ask him about the club, transfer targets etc etc, had 3 or 4 replies which went into great detail about the players we mentioned and his opinions of them and his ideas on how to get team performing better during that difficult season, but he would also always ask how we all were and how the boys were doing at school etc, made us feel very special.
God Bless Sir Graham Taylor

Offline trevor fisher

« Reply #382 on: January 13, 2017, 11:39:37 PM »
the reaction to SGT passing has been truly remarkable. Wonderful tributes all over, especially on this site, and in the proper papers. GOrdon Cowans in the Guardian and quotes from Paul McGrath very excellent.

But lets try to make this more than a one day wonder. The man was exceptional, so his passing should be marked by a publication which gathers as many stories and passes them on so future generations will know how we regarded him. Might even set a standard for some to aspire to.

There is enough expertise and contacts in this fan base to make a special publication possible, and if it were sold to raise money  for Acorns or a charity of the families choice, perhaps the heart foundation, then I am sure reproduction fees would be waived. It would show the world that English fans are about more than money and success.

So how about it? THis site has some wonderful stuff. So can we get the authors to agree to let their copyright material be made available as a first step? Then get a publishing operation together and go for it. The talent is there if the will is displayed.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2017, 12:28:29 AM »
In 1999, I watched the play off final between Watford and Bolton and shouted for Watford all afternoon. At the scene of some of SGT's worst nightmares, was one of his greatest triumphs in taking Watford back to the top flight. His face at the end of the match was a picture to behold. Beat SHA in the semis as well.

As for Villa, it's all been mentioned. Saved us from oblivion after the Turner/McNeill debacles, memorable away days culminating with promotion at Swindon, hitting Everton for six, the Christmas triple, White Hart Lane, the magical day at Goodison, brought Sid back, made McGrath a legend, made Ian Ormondroyd believe he was a footballer, spotted David Platt and bought Dwight Yorke for £10,000.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2017, 01:41:17 AM »
Can a subscriber to the Guardians Fiver email copy and paste yesterday's edition? I seem to have become unsubscribed and would be interested in their reporting of SGT's death.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2017, 01:51:30 AM »
Sorry I'm late to this and also sorry if this has been posted already.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkq4Agl3yo8

Some see this as his worst hour. I see it as his best.  Because we can all have grace and charm when life is good.  Here is true grace when it's hardest not to be graceful.

RIP Sir Graham

Offline dave17

« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2017, 04:59:16 AM »
I was at a dinner with him once.  His honesty and Yorke anikdotes were the highlights but such a nice bloke. Very sad.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #387 on: January 14, 2017, 07:47:16 AM »
Not much of a story compared to some on here but still - as my old man prepped me for the Holte my first Villa game was a pre-season match at Moor Green with a Villa XI (it was 4-3, in case you're wondering). As a kid I hung around outside the dressing room afterwards in search of autographs and found myself getting the seemingly 9ft tall Ian Ormondroyd's scribe when SGT burst out of the door. Like most he could have bolted for the coach but he made a point of greeting everyone who had waited. I'll never forget him looking me in the eye and telling me my dad had done well and I should be proud to support such a great football club. He also told me I'd grow to be as tall as 'Sticks'.

He got one part right.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2017, 11:28:49 AM »
Very rarely watch Football Focus , but today's programme has a tribute to Graham Taylor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bcgd8

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #389 on: January 14, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »
In 1999, I watched the play off final between Watford and Bolton and shouted for Watford all afternoon. At the scene of some of SGT's worst nightmares, was one of his greatest triumphs in taking Watford back to the top flight. His face at the end of the match was a picture to behold. Beat SHA in the semis as well.

As for Villa, it's all been mentioned. Saved us from oblivion after the Turner/McNeill debacles, memorable away days culminating with promotion at Swindon, hitting Everton for six, the Christmas triple, White Hart Lane, the magical day at Goodison, brought Sid back, made McGrath a legend, made Ian Ormondroyd believe he was a footballer, spotted David Platt and bought Dwight Yorke for £10,000.

I also went to that Wembley match with my then young lad,
it's a short train journey for me and we went just to shout for GT

he had a bumpy ride at times with the press and was treated dreadfully at times so it's lovely to see the outpouring of goodness towards him from football people everywhere

but he will always be truly revered at two clubs

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal