collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sir Graham Taylor  (Read 102372 times)

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
Re: Sir Graham Taylor has died
« Reply #510 on: February 09, 2017, 07:42:26 AM »
I wonder if the time will come when I can read about Graham without tears in my eyes. Thank you to everyone who has articulated how many of us are feeling. 

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #511 on: February 09, 2017, 07:43:06 AM »
The memories are as clear as if they happened last year and not 30 years ago. Thanks for posting them. I never met Sir Graham but felt that he "got" us and understood what the Villa was all about.

If I had met him, I think I'd have been reduced to a babbling, speechless wreck and no doubt this fine human being would have put me at ease. He's up there with McGregor, Ramsay and Saunders as one of the most significant people in our history.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #512 on: February 09, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
He had the indefinable quality that made you feel as though you knew him even though you'd never met and if you met him once you thought of him as a friend. Ironically, the only other man I'd say the same about was Terry Weir.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #513 on: February 09, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »
He had the indefinable quality that made you feel as though you knew him even though you'd never met and if you met him once you thought of him as a friend. Ironically, the only other man I'd say the same about was Terry Weir.

So very true Dave - both absolute Gentlemen

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #514 on: February 09, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »
Absolutely.  Graham and Terry were two of the few people associated with Villa, or in life in general,  that there is no 'but' about - as in 'he's great bloke but...'. They were just great.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #515 on: February 12, 2017, 03:41:06 AM »
the one other living person who I  would rank  up  there with Terry Weir and   Graham Taylor would  be Steve Stride - a true gent and villain.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #516 on: February 12, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »
the one other living person who I  would rank  up  there with Terry Weir and   Graham Taylor would  be Steve Stride - a true gent and villain.

He's gone, but Tony Barton for me as well

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #517 on: March 02, 2017, 11:36:37 PM »
Brum Mail

Aston Villa will play Watford in a friendly as part of a tribute to the late Graham Taylor.

The two clubs have agreed to face each other in memory of their former manager who sadly passed away in January.

A date has not yet been set but is expected to be confirmed for this summer during the pre-season period.

Taylor worked wonders at both clubs during an exceptional managerial career where he also led the England national team.

His Watford side finished second in the First Division in 1983 and reached the FA Cup final in 1984.

After 10 years at Vicarage Road the ex-boss moved to Villa in 1987 where he first won promotion to the top flight and then two seasons later claimed a second‑place finish.

Details of the game and where it will be played will be announced by both clubs later this year.

It’s expected to draw a big crowd as fans of both clubs, as well as Taylor’s friends, family and former work colleagues, all helped push for the arrangement.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #518 on: March 03, 2017, 05:52:26 PM »
I'd expect the game to be at Vicarage Road as we're planning to rip up our pitch over the summer.

Offline exigo

« Reply #519 on: March 03, 2017, 08:10:38 PM »
Yep, the club have already said there won't be any home pre-season friendlies.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #520 on: March 03, 2017, 09:44:32 PM »
We're not doing the pitch til the following season now, but we still aren't having any home friendlies.

It was said at the Trust AGM last night.

I think it's right to have it at Watford anyway - we have already established that he was an even bigger deal to them than us.

Online spangley1812

« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2017, 09:52:20 PM »
No pre-season friendlies I am pretty sure is because of the work being done to remove the seats from the back of the lower North so the disabled facilities can be upgraded to what they should be 

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #522 on: March 07, 2017, 12:08:05 AM »

I think it's right to have it at Watford anyway - we have already established that he was an even bigger deal to them than us.

Imagine just how that could be possible!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #523 on: March 07, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »
Happy for it to be at Watford. Hopefully we ditch our irritating recent habit of having away friendlies on stupid days. Get it played on a Saturday and get the big support that SGT deserves.

Offline The_Rev1

« Reply #524 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:16 PM »
https://www.watfordfc.com/club/graham-taylor-matchday-confirmation

Match day announced as Saturday 29th July, 3pm.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal