collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:27:04 AM]

Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:26:05 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:27:04 AM]

Re: FFP by Simon Page
[Today at 10:26:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:26:05 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Simon Page
[Today at 10:20:43 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:08:20 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Herbert Ellis  (Read 33708 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Herbert Ellis
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2017, 04:47:41 PM »
It's also worth remembering that Tony Barton was sacked by Ellis for being a 'failure'. In his 2 full seasons we finished 6th and 10th, reached a EC QF, an FAC QF, a LC SF, won the ESC and obviously in his first part season the EC. And all that despite Ellis dismantling the 80-82 side, having 2 of the best players in the country crocked, although I have little doubt Ellis would have sold them if they'd been fit as he was getting rid of pretty much anything to do with 80-82 that he could. Pretty sure that within about 3 years of Ellis returning only 3 of the 80-82 side were left, plus Shaw whose career was all but over.
Still, at least we had a lot of success under the manager of Shrewsbury.

Don't get me started on 'The manager of Shrewsbury' unless you want to hear a lot of swear words. Not being wise after the event but from day one, even as a teenager I thought it was a barmy decision. Firstly to sack Tony Barton and then to appoint that bloke.

Offline Cliftonville Villain

« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »
The last few pages have been a real eye-opener...I didn't know any of this (thanks Dave). His name needs to come off that stand now while he's still alive to see it, and replaced with Ron Saunders', again while he's still alive to see it. Disgraceful.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2017, 07:20:16 PM »
I was radicalised towards Doug by the pages of this wonderful fanzine as a wide eyed 13 year old, and I'm glad I was.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2017, 07:45:33 PM »
The last few pages have been a real eye-opener...I didn't know any of this (thanks Dave). His name needs to come off that stand now while he's still alive to see it, and replaced with Ron Saunders', again while he's still alive to see it. Disgraceful.

This would be a dream come true.

Where do I sign up?

When do we march?

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »

This would be a dream come true.

Where do I sign up?

When do we march?

Whilst I agree with nearly all the sentiment on this thread re our egotistical Herbert we'd be stooping lower than
His level to act in this way. If Dr Tony is true to his word we will see ground redevelopment which will be a perfect time to reconsider stand names and allow us to act in a way we'd like to think is synonymous with our
Aston Villa.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:56:15 PM by brentastonb6 »

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2017, 09:14:45 AM »
To take his name of the stand we be fixing a wrong. Off all the great people & legends associated with Aston Villa and have his name on one of the 4 stands is ridiculous.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »

100%

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2017, 12:00:43 PM »
It's a real moral dilemma. It would be churlish and petty to change it while he's alive and seem disrespectful to do it after he's dead. There's also the problem that many of our supporters still believe him to be good old Deadly, who did a grand job and who loves the Villa.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »
many of our supporters still believe him to be good old Deadly, who did a grand job and who loves the Villa.

*tugs forelock

Offline Pete

« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »
Sacking Tony Barton a few days before his son's wedding leaves a sour taste in the mouth too. The reception was booked for Villa Park, by the way.

Shit! What did they do? Did they still have the reception at Villa Park?

I had to look it up, found an interview with Mrs Barton in the Mail:

So dignified was Barton that he encouraged Gary, the second of his three sons, to push ahead with plans to hold his wedding reception at Villa Park just five days after he had been ousted.

Rose said: “A lot of the big hotels in Birmingham contacted us to say they would happily host the reception if Tony didn’t want it to be at Villa Park.

“But he was keen not to leave under a cloud and wanted it to be at the ground.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
Doug was, apparently, quite put out that he wasn't invited.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »
Sacking Tony Barton a few days before his son's wedding leaves a sour taste in the mouth too. The reception was booked for Villa Park, by the way.

Shit! What did they do? Did they still have the reception at Villa Park?

I had to look it up, found an interview with Mrs Barton in the Mail:

So dignified was Barton that he encouraged Gary, the second of his three sons, to push ahead with plans to hold his wedding reception at Villa Park just five days after he had been ousted.

Rose said: “A lot of the big hotels in Birmingham contacted us to say they would happily host the reception if Tony didn’t want it to be at Villa Park.

“But he was keen not to leave under a cloud and wanted it to be at the ground.

Wow! Speaks volumes about both. One of the (supposed) best days of your (son's + families) life. FFS! Horrible, horrible man. Regardless of any moral dilemma his name needs to come off the stand. Hopefully when if not regardless of Tony redeveloping.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2021, 08:36:23 PM »
For those of you with subscriptions to the Athletic, there's a good article about HDE today - https://theathletic.com/2580890/2021/05/16/deadly-doug-ellis-the-aston-villa-years-hiring-firing-and-haggling-over-broccoli?source=user-shared-article

Seems like lots of research gone in to what he was really like.

Spoiler - turns out he really was as tight and as self-centred as we all thought!!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2021, 09:02:50 PM »
I'm not going to pay to read the article.
He probably gets a percentage of the subscription.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2021, 09:30:59 PM »
For those of you with subscriptions to the Athletic, there's a good article about HDE today - https://theathletic.com/2580890/2021/05/16/deadly-doug-ellis-the-aston-villa-years-hiring-firing-and-haggling-over-broccoli?source=user-shared-article

Seems like lots of research gone in to what he was really like.

Spoiler - turns out he really was as tight and as self-centred as we all thought!!

Thanks for the headsup. Some of that was painful to read and discover. Remembering that period of the early 90s when we were close, still leaves me with a feeling of what could have been.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal