collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 11:03:05 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by brontebilly
[Today at 11:02:28 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 11:00:38 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Risso
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh

Robin Olsen by Goldenballs
[Today at 10:28:09 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Ads
[Today at 10:04:48 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 11:03:05 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by brontebilly
[Today at 11:02:28 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 11:00:38 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by pablo_picasso
[Today at 10:56:36 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Risso

Re: Ollie Watkins by andyh

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:53:04 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 10:52:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stiliyan Petrov - update  (Read 157551 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Stiliyan Petrov - update
« Reply #855 on: October 31, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »
Stiliyan Petrov explains why he's disappointed with Aston Villa

Aston Villa legend Stiliyan Petrov has expressed his disappointment at the club for his treatment during the summer.

Speaking to Sky Sports' show Goals on Sunday, the midfielder said that he was not given an explanation after failing to win a contract in the summer.

Petrov, who joined the the club in 2006, was diagnosed with acute leukaemia in 2012. He recovered from the cancer and returned to the club in July, heading out to Austria for pre-season training but wasn't offered a deal at the end of his trial.

He said: "I managed to do that. I thought then I'm on the right role, I'm getting closer, but they've told me that I won't get anything at the club as a player.

"They offered me a role as a coach in the youth system, I didn't want it. Not yet. I wanted to finish as a footballer. I didn't have a chance and I think I've lost my heart after that because I've put so much work in.

"I said before I was ready just to finish as a player. I didn't want a pay off, I didn't want to twist their hands about contracts or anything else. I just wanted to finish as a footballer because it was taken away from me.

Petrov added: "They didn't need to make that decision so early. They didn't give me a reason. If Di Matteo had turned round and said 'you know what, you're not good enough, you're not fit enough, you're too old', then I would have accepted it."

Offline FatSam

« Reply #856 on: October 31, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »
Difficult one this.

I've always been one of his biggest supporters, even when he has come in for criticism during his playing days. However, there is no room for sentiment, and the task in the summer was to build a group to get promoted from this division. If RDM didn't think Stan had a role to play either on the pitch, or behind the scenes, then he wasn't obliged to offer him terms. It sounds like the reasons behind the decision weren't  communicated to him very well.

Subsequent events haven't given me any faith though that RDM made the right call. I can't help thinking that having Stan around could have helped, especially given how many new faces there were.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #857 on: October 31, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »
he was offered a role in the youth set up but didnt want it so am not sure want more he wants

fine that he wants to carry on playing but he isnt up to doing that with us

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #858 on: October 31, 2016, 07:08:54 PM »
he was offered a role in the youth set up but didnt want it so am not sure want more he wants

A reason for why he wasn't offered a contract and better communication.

Absolutely fair enough if RDM didn't feel he could offer us anything as a player, but it seems the decision could have been communicated better.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #859 on: October 31, 2016, 07:47:53 PM »
Very disappointed in Stiliyan. Particularly given at the time he talked about "I just want to try out."

He could have walked over to RDM or a staff member and asked them why not if he had a question. The answer is obvious and was at the time.

Its not hard to figure out why the club didn't give a 37 year old who had not played for years a midfielder contract in the Championship. I am sure he knows exactly why. But if he doesn't - he was no where near good enough. Thats the fact of the matter. Sorry but if he wants the blunt truth there it is.

Whats the point in deciding to air this in the press? Stiliyan is the one who could have communicated better.

The club have treated him better than just about any ex player I can remember. I think these comments are particularly ungrateful in the context of everything the club & fans have done to support him.

Celtic, the club he preferred to have his farewell charity match at instead of Villa did not offer him a trial or a contract either. Why is he not upset at them?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:56:03 PM by ciggiesnbeer »

Offline The_ads

« Reply #860 on: October 31, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Totally agree and he is beginning to get right on my tits. The club do not owe Stiliyian Petrov a living and I'd like to think the club have been more than supportive. The fact he continues to air this story about not getting a contract does not sit well with me

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #861 on: October 31, 2016, 08:27:36 PM »
Totally agree and he is beginning to get right on my tits. The club do not owe Stiliyian Petrov a living and I'd like to think the club have been more than supportive. The fact he continues to air this story about not getting a contract does not sit well with me

Sadly, I agree. Stan's been an inspiration and the club deserve nothing bit praise for the way they've treated him. This sort of thing does him no good and gives ammunition to the feeble-brained to abuse us.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:21:16 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #862 on: November 01, 2016, 11:14:15 AM »

Sadly, I agree. Stan's been an inspiration and the club deseerve nothing bit praise for the way they've treated him. This sort of thing does him no good and gives ammunition to the feeble-brained to abuse us.

Couldn't agree more

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #863 on: November 01, 2016, 04:31:22 PM »

Sadly, I agree. Stan's been an inspiration and the club deserve nothing bit praise for the way they've treated him. This sort of thing does him no good and gives ammunition to the feeble-brained to abuse us.

Absolutely agree.

Not to mention if the club were the bad boys there would have been a queue round the block to offer him trials / contracts.

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #864 on: November 01, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »
Or RDM didn't want him around?

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #865 on: November 01, 2016, 04:41:15 PM »
Maybe everyone could see it except Stan himself.  It happens to us all in some capacity or another, that unassailable fact that we just aren't as good as we used to be.  Give him time and he will come to realise this.  He will always be that inspiration that gives people the courage to overcome adversities, and that more than anything,  far outweighs anything he achieved playing football, IMO.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #866 on: November 01, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »
He probably answered a straight question with a straight answer.  He was understandably dissapointed after setting his heart on a come back.  Whilst I agree with the comments above, it sounds like communication could have been handled better.  Let's not make too much of this or let it sour feelings towards him too much.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #867 on: November 01, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »
I did see the interview and it comes across worse in that post than it was on screen, he didn't make a statement but was asked a question and answered it. He said that he could have looked at other offer but regarded Villa as his club so wanted to finish as a player with us. A six month contract to see how things worked out would probably have been a decent solution.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #868 on: November 01, 2016, 04:44:32 PM »
It's a shame he's gone public with this, even a rabid Villa hating, blue nose hating mate of mine complimented Villa on how they supported Stan and gave him the opportunity to have some sort of a role at the club. It was a great, heartwarming story when the news broke of him trying to earn a contract but sadly the reality was that it was highly unlikely after so long out of the game with such a serious illness and given his age. Surprised he turned down the coaching opportunity.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #869 on: November 01, 2016, 05:32:19 PM »
I did see the interview and it comes across worse in that post than it was on screen, he didn't make a statement but was asked a question and answered it. He said that he could have looked at other offer but regarded Villa as his club so wanted to finish as a player with us. A six month contract to see how things worked out would probably have been a decent solution.

This.

The only thing that shocked me with Stan's interview on Sunday is his love for the club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal