collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa's ludicrous £50m transfer spree ripped to shreds  (Read 15733 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Aston Villa's ludicrous £50m transfer spree ripped to shreds
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2016, 06:31:14 AM »
He will score goals but there must be a reason he scored 20 season in season out at Fulham and yet they never came close to making the play offs...same at Leeds.

I really don't get how you can blame a striker who scores 20 goals a season for the rest of the team's inability.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2016, 02:35:21 PM »
He will score goals but there must be a reason he scored 20 season in season out at Fulham and yet they never came close to making the play offs...same at Leeds.

I really don't get how you can blame a striker who scores 20 goals a season for the rest of the team's inability.

It's a bit like Bent to me.

Scores his goals but does little else with the team regarding link up play and stretching defences so is overall to the detriment unless you're looking at things very black and white.

McCormack is better at that but of the two I'd rather go with Kodjia as he's quicker, can play the channels and has shown he too can score regularly in this division at his previous club.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »

Scores his goals but does little else with the team regarding link up play and stretching defences so is overall to the detriment unless you're looking at things very black and white.

McCormack is better at that but of the two I'd rather go with Kodjia as he's quicker, can play the channels and has shown he too can score regularly in this division at his previous club.

Confused.
McCormack has impressed a number of us with his link up play, movement and creating chances for others.  That's why he keeps getting touted to  play alongside Kodija.
He's certainly not coming across as Bent MkII.

Offline Jockey Randall

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2016, 03:30:44 PM »

Confused.
McCormack has impressed a number of us with his link up play, movement and creating chances for others.  That's why he keeps getting touted to  play alongside Kodija.
He's certainly not coming across as Bent MkII.

He got 9 assists in each of his last 2 seasons with Fulham as well so he definitely creates chances as well as scoring.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2016, 03:54:31 PM »
Coincidence doesn't prove causality.  If anything, the fact McCormack has scored 20 goals in shit Fulham and Leeds teams is more impressive than doing so in a team up around the top of the division.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2016, 04:03:01 PM »
It's a bit like saying Benteke banged them in for us but it's his fault we struggled each season. It's not like Leeds and Fulham were top 6 before or after Ross.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2016, 05:34:35 PM »
It's a bit like saying Benteke banged them in for us but it's his fault we struggled each season. It's not like Leeds and Fulham were top 6 before or after Ross.

Ah but Benteke was a miles better all round player than Bent.

I think personally Kodjia brings more to the table than McCormack...he is quick, strong and can stretch defences. He needs to be played through the middle.

I just think McCormack was a luxury signing...as we've seen he's not the easiest to fit into a team structure...you can play him just off kodjia but then where do you play Ayew?

He's 30 next month isn't he? So if we don't go up this season or not he's another we're going to have to write off a fair bit on him. At least with the other signings we can get money back for them.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2016, 06:18:29 PM »
Did someone say McCormack may be like Bent? In that they are both humans? I can't think of any other way they are similar, apart from goals too.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2016, 06:22:35 PM »
I really like McCormack. He's Villa's number 10 for me. I'd have Ayew or Kodjia up front as a partner - we'd score loads.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2016, 07:34:53 PM »

McCormack has created more chances than anyone this season for us. Holds the ball up well, passes well, and is a good finisher too. He would only benefit from playing up with Kodjia. If that means dropping Ayew, so be it. Team and all that.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2016, 08:06:26 PM »
First of all I think Murphy is a very good pundit and too good to degrade himself by appearing for Talkshite.

Second, I don't think there was much wrong with the strikers we've signed its just that the last manager weren't playing to their strengths. 

I do think we might have over spent and that making so many changes so quickly wasn't the smartest move.   But now that we have a decent manager those players can truly be judged.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2016, 08:10:54 PM »

McCormack has created more chances than anyone this season for us. Holds the ball up well, passes well, and is a good finisher too. He would only benefit from playing up with Kodjia. If that means dropping Ayew, so be it. Team and all that.

What's the basis for the first claim? No idea which is true, but the same claim was made on here about Ayew a few days ago.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2016, 08:14:35 PM »
I think our two strikers should Rudy and Ross.  Their both experienced Championship players with consistent scoring records and their constrasting styles compliment each other well. 

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:53 PM »
Don't like Gestede as a starter.

Rarely for us has he been effective from the start, much better as an impact sub.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2016, 10:41:31 PM »
Don't like Gestede as a starter.

Rarely for us has he been effective from the start, much better as an impact sub.

Gestede's only scored 8 league goals for us and at least four of those have been when he's started (Liverpool last year, Rotherham this).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal