collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:25:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:29:50 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:25:41 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 12:22:43 AM]

Jhon Durán - signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:39 AM]

Cheeee-co-o-o-o-o-o by Steve kirk
[May 22, 2024, 10:35:14 PM]

Kits 24/25 by VillaTim
[May 22, 2024, 10:23:10 PM]

Season Tickets by London Villan
[May 22, 2024, 10:09:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 244478 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #450 on: October 02, 2016, 07:39:04 PM »
Silver linings and all that, but this might be a good thing because at least this guy will be appointed with Round at the club and will be joining with a structure in place and (hopefully) to suit Round's philosophy.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #451 on: October 02, 2016, 07:42:52 PM »
I would like a workaholic manager.  One who takes a leaf out of Shankly's book and phones up other managers even when he does not need to speak to them.  Always on the case.  Bobby Charlton tells the story that Bill Shankly used to phone him up early every Sunday morning just to talk about the previous day's games.  That sort of manager will do me.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #452 on: October 02, 2016, 07:46:17 PM »
I agree that's probably the big risk. It might take him till next season to get his ideas across.

I'd wait though. If it meant having a real identity. And he did have a good immediate impact last season I think?

Think he took over when they were in the relegation zone or near enough and they finished 20th so not huge but he used that time to start getting his ideas across and draw up a squad.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #453 on: October 02, 2016, 07:48:53 PM »
Rowett would make our match in a few weeks very interesting

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #454 on: October 02, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »
I agree that's probably the big risk. It might take him till next season to get his ideas across.

I'd wait though. If it meant having a real identity. And he did have a good immediate impact last season I think?

Think he took over when they were in the relegation zone or near enough and they finished 20th so not huge but he used that time to start getting his ideas across and draw up a squad.

Would like to see Jedinak playing his Gegen-pressing style!

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #455 on: October 02, 2016, 08:14:58 PM »
Lee Johnson has been mentioned in the press.  Not sure if it's too sin for him but interesting idea.  Re Bruce being past it, he got Hull promoted 5 months ago with arguably a weaker side.  He is the surest route to promotion of the options.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #456 on: October 02, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »
have to admit I'd never heard of Rowett before he went to blues

But I do remember they were in crisis, no money, shit players, joke performances owner in jail etc
he's made them competitive and turned them round, it's an unbelievable the job he's done there in the circumstances

He must have some idea of what hes doing to even attempt to polish that turd

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2016, 08:28:53 PM »
Rowett won't come and our board won't try for him but I agree he's done a great job there. 

Whoever comes has a genuinely good squad to work with.  We are a midfielder and experienced keeper short but overall there is easily enough to make up the gap to the top 6 and even the top 2 over 35 games.  Giving the likes of Lyden a run in midfield to give us legs around Jedinak and playing players in their natural roles would help no end though.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #458 on: October 02, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »
Rowett won't come and our board won't try for him but I agree he's done a great job there. 

Whoever comes has a genuinely good squad to work with.  We are a midfielder and experienced keeper short but overall there is easily enough to make up the gap to the top 6 and even the top 2 over 35 games.  Giving the likes of Lyden a run in midfield to give us legs around Jedinak and playing players in their natural roles would help no end though.

why wouldnt rowett come?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #459 on: October 02, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »
has the shit fest of the past six years passed you by?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #460 on: October 02, 2016, 08:52:23 PM »
There's definitely a good argument for an experienced and proven manager. And not someone who's retired like houllier.

Bruce does fit the bill in that respect. Surely he'd come.

I definitely don't want Pearson

Offline Taylor

« Reply #461 on: October 02, 2016, 08:55:13 PM »

why wouldnt rowett come?
Because he manages a team currently pushing the play off places and Villa are 2 points off relegation. I realise that we are a big club with huge potential, but with that comes massive risk and an expectant fan base. I'm afraid to say it but only out of work managers would take the job on.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #462 on: October 02, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »
has the shit fest of the past six years passed you by?

you could apply that rationale to literally every manager, we are a basket case so why would any manager want to come?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #463 on: October 02, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »
No to Rowett for me, not at this stage.  No matter how much of a mess the Blues were when he walked in there it's nothing compared to the state of the Villa.  Plus, expectation at the Blues is always minimal whereas we've seen the last four managers crack under the pressure of the Villa job.

I know Allardyce is a twat but he'd sort the club out from top to bottom and I would be extremely confident he'd not only get us promoted this year but have us playing in a way that would be good to watch.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #464 on: October 02, 2016, 09:02:06 PM »
Aston Villa is a huge name in English football and a huge draw for any manager. Let's not understate the club and write ourselves off in this next managerial search...it needs to be the right man, with the right experience and knowledge of the game. We don't need another Lambert, Sherwood, Garde or RDM...we need someone with a proven track record of getting consistent results and performances out of the players. No more fuckin about with these charlatans.
If it is such a big attraction, how come we have ended up with a string of such uninspiring failures?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal