collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The FA Cup  (Read 3495 times)

Offline castlefields_villan

The FA Cup
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:56:18 PM »
I read earlier today of plans/proposals to move the 4th and 5th round of the FA Cup to midweek :

What with getting rid of quarter final replays (as I think is the case from this year as well as semi final replays) and moving the Final kick off time to 5.30pm you can't help but think sometimes the FA Cup is an unwanted hindrance.

Is it just me - I still love the FA Cup and although I was minus 3 months last time we won it - I've watched every final (except one, in 2002) since I got into football just before the 1966 World Cup - indeed the first ever live match I saw was the FA Cup Final that year, Everton 3, Sheffield Wednesday 2 (back in the days when the FA Cup Final was the only live game televised).

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: The FA Cup
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:58:28 PM »
What they should do is give Villa a bye to the Final, because we came up with the idea of the League, and require the team that we meet in the final to play a 5-a-side team against our XI. That way we might finally win the sodding thing.

When we aren't involved I am not interested, but when we are still in it then it means everything. I would give a vital organ to see us win the FA Cup just once. 

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 03:07:58 PM »
Ha ha  - I like it Richard.

On a serious note though, having been brought up on us winning the most times as was the case for so long, 45-50 years ago I never imagined I would be at least almost 60 before we won it again.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:17:43 PM »
I like it and in particular the early rounds with upsets and non-league teams in it. It's exciting when we get to the 5th Round onwards, as I start to think we might just in it.

Usually watch the final unless it's a really dull one like Manure V Chelsea or something.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 11:15:24 PM »
Would keep FA cup replays for rounds 3 and 4 for sure.

Once we get to the 5th round though it should be about the glory of actually getting to Wembley (only two rounds away) rather than wanting a big money spinner at a big away ground.

There's not that many lower league teams by that stage anyway.

Don't have a huge problem with these proposals.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 07:05:13 AM »
I read earlier today of plans/proposals to move the 4th and 5th round of the FA Cup to midweek :

What with getting rid of quarter final replays (as I think is the case from this year as well as semi final replays) and moving the Final kick off time to 5.30pm you can't help but think sometimes the FA Cup is an unwanted hindrance.

Is it just me - I still love the FA Cup and although I was minus 3 months last time we won it - I've watched every final (except one, in 2002) since I got into football just before the 1966 World Cup - indeed the first ever live match I saw was the FA Cup Final that year, Everton 3, Sheffield Wednesday 2 (back in the days when the FA Cup Final was the only live game televised).

Like you Castlefields I was born the year after we last won it and I would dearly love to see us win it before I pass on even if it has been devalued in recent years.
I remember my first FA Cup tie which was against Millwall in the Third Round in 1967/68.
I used to go to most games with my mate from school and his Dad.
We were coming home from the league game before this game and my mate's Dad said that we would have to leave a bit earlier for the next game as it was in the FA Cup and VP would be packed.
I didn't realise how big the FA Cup was until I went to that game.
We were in the 2nd division then as were Millwall and although we had played them in the league at VP not long before the crowd was a lot larger and there was a terrific atmosphere.
We won and then went out to Rotherham in the next round but it left a lasting impression on me.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 07:28:02 AM »
Thank fcuk it goes to penalties these days - else at this rate we'd still be playing a 3rd round replay, replay, replay, replay in March.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal