collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 12:01:33 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:01:08 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by AV82EC
[Today at 12:00:49 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by The Edge
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:59:29 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by chrisw1
[Today at 11:59:03 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Rigadon
[Today at 11:58:39 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by OCD
[Today at 11:57:52 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jonathan Kodjia - SOLD  (Read 258149 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Jonathan Kodjia - CONFIRMED
« Reply #1485 on: August 15, 2019, 02:01:05 PM »
Dean Smith on Kodjia: “We don’t welcome any offers. We’re happy with him.” [avfc]

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1486 on: August 15, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »
He said those words, but he didn’t seem totally convinced

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #1487 on: August 15, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
I think we’ve got someone lined up to replace that are currently a free agent

Who ?

The only ones available are either too old (Llorente), too injured (Sturridge) or too bonkers (Balotelli)

Transfermarkt

Presuming there is no Frankenstein Llolotellidge plan, is there any yoof near to stepping up?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1488 on: August 15, 2019, 02:07:58 PM »
Dean Smith on Kodjia: “We don’t welcome any offers. We’re happy with him.” [avfc]

So it sounds like we have had some ;)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1489 on: August 15, 2019, 02:11:02 PM »

Who ?

The only ones available are either too old (Llorente), too injured (Sturridge) or too bonkers (Balotelli)

Transfermarkt

I wouldn't be totally against Llorente for a year if Kodjia wants to go, I think Wesley and Davis could learn a lot from him.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1490 on: August 15, 2019, 02:11:31 PM »

So it sounds like we have had some ;)

Oh no doubt. And I think if our transfer window closed at the end of the month we would consider selling him. So unless we have a free agent lined up (none of which I am convinced offer any more than Kodjia) then I don’t see him leaving. Because it would be utter madness if that happened without a replacement in place.

Online KRS

« Reply #1491 on: August 15, 2019, 04:18:10 PM »
SSN reporting JK is out for 10-12 days with an ankle injury picked up in the Spurs game. I don’t recall him touching the ball let alone on the receiving end of any hard tackles.

We are now down to just Wes and Davis as our forward options.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1492 on: August 15, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »
SSN reporting JK is out for 10-12 days with an ankle injury picked up in the Spurs game. I don’t recall him touching the ball let alone on the receiving end of any hard tackles.

We are now down to just Wes and Davis as our forward options.

Trezeguet, Jota and El Ghazi are also effectively playing as wide forwards though when we et forwards. So it isn't as if we are completely bereft up front. I actually think Davis will do well in this system, as he is very good at holding the ball up and bringing wide forwards into play.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1493 on: August 15, 2019, 05:08:00 PM »
I reckon you could play Grealish as a deep striker with AEG and Trez either side and then SJM, Marvelous and Douglas as a proper 3 in behind, if we were short of options. It'd mean playing the ball into feet but Grealish has the ability to hold on to the ball for people to move around him and he'd draw plenty of fouls. Would need the wingers and McGinn hitting the box early though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1494 on: August 15, 2019, 05:11:15 PM »
I reckon you could play Grealish as a deep striker with AEG and Trez either side and then SJM, Marvelous and Douglas as a proper 3 in behind, if we were short of options. It'd mean playing the ball into feet but Grealish has the ability to hold on to the ball for people to move around him and he'd draw plenty of fouls. Would need the wingers and McGinn hitting the box early though.

I agree he could play that role, and do it well, but then you'd lose our main passing outlet from midfield.  Obviously I don't know yet if Marvelous or Luiz could replace that.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1495 on: August 15, 2019, 05:31:09 PM »

I agree he could play that role, and do it well, but then you'd lose our main passing outlet from midfield.  Obviously I don't know yet if Marvelous or Luiz could replace that.

I agree, but as an 'in a pinch' strategy I think it could work well.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1496 on: August 15, 2019, 05:43:03 PM »

Who ?

Transfermarkt

Go for the "what could have been" partnership in the relegation season of Adebayor and Doumbia.

As it is, if anyone wants to give us any sort of fee for a 29 year old Ivorian who isn't as good as he was before he got injured - just take the money and get like for like with Wilfried Bony.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #1497 on: August 15, 2019, 06:02:25 PM »
Letting him go would seem a poor decision at this stage. I admit that he did nothing on Saturday, but we aren't writing off Wesley on the back of one performance against one of the top teams in the top division, so we should be evaluating Kodjia by the same criteria.

Interestingly, if he were to go, that would be over 40% of our goals from last season with Abraham gone as well. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1498 on: August 15, 2019, 06:32:08 PM »
It makes no sense to sell him now.

It's the position most people agree we are lightest on.
We don't need the money.
I guess we could sell if stupid money was involved, but that's not going to be the case.
Kodjia surely will want to take a shot at the Prem after all these years rather than immediately go back to a lesser league.
All well and good if we thought he was any good, but he'd never recovered from his injuries and has a questionable attitude.
We have other squad options, as Paul_e says.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1499 on: August 15, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »

Who ?

Transfermarkt

Go for the "what could have been" partnership in the relegation season of Adebayor and Doumbia.

As it is, if anyone wants to give us any sort of fee for a 29 year old Ivorian who isn't as good as he was before he got injured - just take the money and get like for like with Wilfried Bony.

That's not in any way like for like. Kodjia just played in the Premier League. Bony can't get a go for Newport. Bony is finished. Kodjia, hopefully, isn't.

My one concern going into the season was not signing another striker, I hope it doesn't turn out to be Smith's "fuck it I don't need any defenders we've got Jedinak" mistake.

Letting Kodjia go when we have so few options up front would be madness. He can leave in January when we have signed a replacement and not before.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal