collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony's Tweets  (Read 541534 times)

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

Re: Tony's Tweets
« Reply #1170 on: September 12, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »
I'm pissed off that our manager couldn't see something so basic as to put an extra man in midfield to protect our lead so god knows what our chairman feels. He shouldn't be tweeting it though (if that was his point).

If you straight hit the post and it doesn't go in that simply isn't unlucky, it's inaccurate. I'm not sure how that can be argued. Deflections, bobbles etc are different obviously.

he did see it. Jedinak was stripped and ready to come on when Forest got their equaliser. 2 minutes too late maybe

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1171 on: September 12, 2016, 09:51:12 AM »
I'm pissed off that our manager couldn't see something so basic as to put an extra man in midfield to protect our lead so god knows what our chairman feels. He shouldn't be tweeting it though (if that was his point).

If you straight hit the post and it doesn't go in that simply isn't unlucky, it's inaccurate. I'm not sure how that can be argued. Deflections, bobbles etc are different obviously.
Why have people got a bee in their bonnet over the phrase unlucky.  A shot from 25 yards missing it's target by 5 cm is of course strictly inaccurate, but it is also a little unfortunate.  Unlucky if you will.  We certainly haven't had the rub of the green or the results out performances have deserved in my opinion.  Of course if you prefer to take a more accountant like 'black & white' view, then there is arguably rarely any luck in a game.  Forest scored twice and so did we - fair result?  I don't buy it, but it is your prerogative to think that way.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1172 on: September 12, 2016, 10:18:22 AM »

he did see it. Jedinak was stripped and ready to come on when Forest got their equaliser. 2 minutes too late maybe

Gestede scored on 74 minutes.  They equalised on 87.  It took him 13 minutes to realise that they would come at us full hammer and we were wide open in midfield.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1173 on: September 12, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
I really like RDM and I hope he's very successful for us, and is around for years to come.  But yesterday was a cock up, no two ways about it, and people in the match thread were calling for him to tighten up the midfield.  There's a long way to go yet of course, but if we don't start getting a proper run together soon we'll have it left too late for this season I reckon.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #1174 on: September 12, 2016, 10:34:30 AM »
I really like RDM and I hope he's very successful for us, and is around for years to come.  But yesterday was a cock up, no two ways about it, and people in the match thread were calling for him to tighten up the midfield.  There's a long way to go yet of course, but if we don't start getting a proper run together soon we'll have it left too late for this season I reckon.

A late surge can always get you in the playoffs, but you're right we need to start going on a run, it's clear to me that we are improving, Jedinak and tsibola will make a difference

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1175 on: September 12, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
Thing is we are Villa, we can never just go on an early season run and cap it off in style around April time to see us promoted.  No, we have to stutter to 17th place, lose 12 points from our opening 18, have a shaky midfield and defence and then pile pressure on ourselves to go on panic stricken unbeaten run to scrape into the play offs or at least be sweating between 7th and 6th going into the last game of the season.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1176 on: September 12, 2016, 12:30:04 PM »

I think by October we have to be at the edge of the playoff positions of not in them. Newcastle will have too much in the end especially given their start and current momentum. We have too much about us going forward not to be in the running and our quality will start to come through up front. What have to be is disciplined though  in seeing out games. Do that we will be fine. But as usual right now, and I was saying it before, we are our own biggest enemy. Stop that most of the teams in this division won't be able to compete with us.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #1177 on: September 12, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »
Huddersfields goal was fucking lucky.
No it was sheer incompetence by Gollini.
Can't agree with you, if you replay that scenario 99 out of 100 times that would have ended up somewhere other than our net he was given no choice but to come out and clear the ball for it to ricochet off the huddersfield player on the full into our net was just pure fluke. Ok he was at fault for the Sheff Weds goal but Huddersfield was just unlucky.

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #1178 on: September 12, 2016, 01:26:07 PM »

Gestede scored on 74 minutes.  They equalised on 87.  It took him 13 minutes to realise that they would come at us full hammer and we were wide open in midfield.

takes a while for Jedinak to get those old legs warmed up :-)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1179 on: September 12, 2016, 01:42:43 PM »
I'm pissed off that our manager couldn't see something so basic as to put an extra man in midfield to protect our lead so god knows what our chairman feels.

But there is an alternative view that we were playing well and had five goalscorers on the field and a third goal shouldn't have been too hard to find, a deserved thumping win could have done wonders for confidence.

I would have bought on Jedianak for McCormack straight after our second and hindsight would have proved me right but I'm not going to be too hard on RDM for being far braver and more positive.

I'm still pretty optimistic about the season, the only side I've seen who I've been impressed with are Brighton and that seemed to be a one off. We'll be OK.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:47:26 PM by PeterWithe »

Offline exigo

« Reply #1180 on: September 12, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
I'm pissed off that our manager couldn't see something so basic as to put an extra man in midfield to protect our lead so god knows what our chairman feels.

But there is an alternative view that we were playing well and had five goalscorers on the field and a third goal shouldn't have been too hard to find, a deserved thumping win could have done wonders for confidence.

I would have bought on Jedianak for McCormack straight after our second and hindsight would have proved me right but I'm not going to be too hard on RDM for being far braver and more positive.

I'm still pretty optimistic about the season, the only side I've seen who I've been impressed with are Brighton and that seemed to be a one off. We'll be OK.

Exactly. If he'd brought Jedinak on and then they'd equalised, we'd have criticised him for not keeping the team out who'd just turned things around. Sometimes these gambles pay off, sometimes they don't. Only hindsight lets you call it 100% right.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1181 on: September 12, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »

I disagreee, for 5-10 mins after Gestede's goal we continued to hammer them and a couple more chances, then I think it dawned on him to tighten up maybe only a couple of minutes too late.  He was right to leave it as it was as we were so on top a third looked likely.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1182 on: September 12, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
I'd agree with that.  After 2 quick goals with them on the ropes giving it 10 minutes to see if we could finish it was the right decision.  The issue was he needed to make the change when there was the little ruckus just before the goal.  That fired a couple of them up so a sub to take the sting out it slightly would've been the right move but it might be that the officials didn't let him make the change.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #1183 on: September 12, 2016, 02:20:11 PM »
Yeah I think the bigger problem was that we just didn't take enough chances.  Think we'd had enough good ones to have not been worrying about having to fight back.  I do think we need more protection in midfield but don't know if I'd say that was our downfall yesterday.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1184 on: September 12, 2016, 04:09:13 PM »
Huddersfields goal was fucking lucky.
No it was sheer incompetence by Gollini.
Can't agree with you, if you replay that scenario 99 out of 100 times that would have ended up somewhere other than our net he was given no choice but to come out and clear the ball for it to ricochet off the huddersfield player on the full into our net was just pure fluke. Ok he was at fault for the Sheff Weds goal but Huddersfield was just unlucky.
Well we will have to disagree. He did not deal with the ball properly in that situation and took a chance with his action that could result in the way it did and that therefore is not competent play.  There was a safe and sound way to deal with that situation and he did not do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal