collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony's Tweets  (Read 541199 times)

Offline Jimbo

Re: Tony's Tweets
« Reply #3885 on: January 11, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »
So in order to have a transport infrastructure that's fit for purpose, do we have to give up our human rights? Probably not. Like I said, we need to find a balance, one that would allow us to find a way to invest in infrastructure and build cutting-edge technology like high-speed maglev, and be world leaders in that technology (and be able to sell that expertise abroad), without starving or whipping our people to death. Call me crazy, but I'm sure that's possible.

Getting back to the point, as Pat mentioned above, there's certainly a can-do attitude in Asia, which is what I think Our Tone was referring to in his Tweets. He'll want that attitude to run through Villa like the writing in a good old British stick of rock (probably made in China), and that might just be possible without violating anybody's human rights. It might mean we can't saw Micah Richards' nipples off for being a twat, but that's the price of progress.   

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3886 on: January 11, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »
now that really does give me a dilemma- is it possible to harbour christian values and want to saw Mica's nipples off? I hope so.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #3887 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
now that really does give me a dilemma- is it possible to harbour christian values and want to saw Mica's nipples off? I hope so.

Perhaps Tim Farron can help us with this one?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #3888 on: January 11, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
I am a wee bit uncomfortable linking giving up human rights to get the trains running on time.....

I'm with you.

I know China could probably build a turbo-charged escalator to the moon in the time it will take us to finish HS2, but I'd rather live in a country where this stuff takes longer and we've got our freedoms and rights than in a totalitarian state like China.

Although obvs, this country is fast turning into a proto-fascist hell hole, right kids?

What I think tends to happen is yes they build tremendous infrastructures and I have visited China but they suffer a much higher defect rate   

I am at the moment dealing with a Chinese company trying to get them to manufacture football silk scarves they are a nightmares to deal with, with me simply trying to get prices etc

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3889 on: January 11, 2018, 12:17:40 PM »
I am a wee bit uncomfortable linking giving up human rights to get the trains running on time.....

I'm with you.

I know China could probably build a turbo-charged escalator to the moon in the time it will take us to finish HS2, but I'd rather live in a country where this stuff takes longer and we've got our freedoms and rights than in a totalitarian state like China.

Although obvs, this country is fast turning into a proto-fascist hell hole, right kids?

What I think tends to happen is yes they build tremendous infrastructures and I have visited China but they suffer a much higher defect rate   

I am at the moment dealing with a Chinese company trying to get them to manufacture football silk scarves they are a nightmares to deal with, with me simply trying to get prices etc

Maybe the children working in the scarf factory have got to do their homework first?

This is exactly the point about hypocrisy - we can't complain about the Chinese regime at the same time as encouraging them to carry on doing it by taking their exports.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #3890 on: January 11, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
I believe the Spanish Inquisition had a degree of success in such instances. That could be an avenue worth exploring?   

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3891 on: January 11, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
I believe the Spanish Inquisition had a degree of success in such instances. That could be an avenue worth exploring?   

I wasn't expecting that

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #3892 on: January 11, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »

I wasn't expecting that

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3893 on: January 11, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »
well, Diablo certainly did.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #3894 on: January 11, 2018, 06:49:13 PM »

I'm with you.

WW, that may simply be due to volume. Chinese manufacturers are used to dealing in colossal volumes so if this seems unlikely from your interactions they will show very little interest.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #3895 on: January 11, 2018, 07:24:12 PM »
Re points raised above by Jimbo and Brian respectively:

1. Can do attitude. Chinese social media has been awash this week with the story (and mainly the photos where he looks like he is wearing a white punk wig) of a primary school boy ("Ice Boy") who walked 3 miles to school on Monday in snow and -9c temperatures in rural Yunnan province.  The trek takes 1 hour each way but he was determined not to miss exams. The school has no heating, though they do provide breakfast and lunch. He didn't seem dressed for the weather. His mom and dad work in a city to earn money so he lives with his sister. He scored 99/100 and the story has gone nationwide re raising money for poor kids. That kid will go far.

2. political aspirations: I never once had a discussion with a Chinese person who was bothered about the political system. All they wanted was good education, a career and the chance to earn enough money to get a house, car and some of the consumer goods we have taken for granted for a while. While tens of millions of people are being taken out of poverty and quality of life continues to improve the colossal majority do not give a hoot about the single party system.

There was a lot of small scale civil unrest in China when I lived there, unreported in the west, usually relating to peasants losing land or factory closures and job losses. These invariably followed a cycle of short term violence, negotiation and then compensation (new land / houses / jobs / money). This unrest was always focused on the immediate basics of housing and livelihood, not on the system itself.

My Chinese friends who have been here reckon that people under 30 in the UK seem to be less wealthy than their parents. In China the reverse is true.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #3896 on: January 11, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »
It's not really about whether the Chinese want our system. If they are happy to live and work in what they have good luck to them. But when it's suggested we can replicate the Chinese the question remains would you like HS2 et al built quickly or the rights we enjoy? It's not going to be both for the poor fckrs who have inconsiderately got their house in the way of HS2. I don't really fancy living in a country where they turf you out and then, if you throw a rock, they'll negotiate a bit.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3897 on: January 11, 2018, 09:12:29 PM »
He has made some very telling comments on his Twitter feed that show the difference in mindset. One was something like: "In China everything is difficult but possible, but in Europe everything is easy but nothing's possible."

... the prevailing attitude among everyday people there was "we'll fucking well find a way", which should be worrying for people in the faltering west.

Actually, I recognise that. It’s the Newham local authority spirit, exemplified through its Children’s services.
*film of people running at sunrise through cherry trees, to the Dambusters theme*

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #3898 on: January 11, 2018, 11:04:52 PM »
I know it appears off topic but Tony has released quite a few tweets this evening. I'll post them on the 'Construction Monthly' thread.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3899 on: January 11, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
I know it appears off topic but Tony has released quite a few tweets this evening. I'll post them on the 'Construction Monthly' thread.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a fab ceviche recipe for the Construction Monthly lads.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal