collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Greatest  (Read 10456 times)

Offline LTA

Re: The Greatest
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2016, 07:42:41 AM »
Ali was the first sportsman to really go from the back pages to the front.  Even those who dislike boxing had their lives touched by thus man in some way.

So sad that he continued to fight on long after he should have called time,  though that was probably as much to do with the people around him as himself.  If only he'd heeded the warnings of his doctor Ferdie Pacheco.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2016, 08:07:58 AM »
He was beautiful in every sense of the word and the world is a sadder place for his going.

Take it easy, Ali. You were, are and always will be, The Greatest.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2016, 10:03:02 AM »
Sadly missed.  Fantastic sportsman.

Never sat right with me, the build up to the Frazier fight in Manilla, that went beyond trash talk.  Still a unique personality we won't see the like of again.

Agree with that. Also arguably the Foreman fight with his talk of uncle toms and all that. He was a great sportsman who did a lot of good but no saint either.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2016, 10:11:34 AM »
Also, if you haven't read it yet it's well worth getting hold of the fight by Norman Mailer. Easily the best book written on the subject of sport IMO. I read it before I saw full footage of the Kinshasa fight which I then watched straight afterwards, and it adds so many dimensions. Gives you a taste of the magnitude of the fight, and the outcome, at the time.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2016, 10:16:18 AM »
Also, if you haven't read it yet it's well worth getting hold of the fight by Norman Mailer. Easily the best book written on the subject of sport IMO. I read it before I saw full footage of the Kinshasa fight which I then watched straight afterwards, and it adds so many dimensions. Gives you a taste of the magnitude of the fight, and the outcome, at the time.

Couldn't agree more. It's a great read.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2016, 06:30:58 PM »
A slight tangent but I have a recollection as a kid in the 80's of a programme called "Who is the Greatest" which essentially had 2 celebrities arguing over who was better in that chosen sport. I am sure one was Ali vs Marciano and Ted Rogers was batting for Marciano.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2016, 06:36:13 PM »
Dusty Bin for Ali?

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
A slight tangent but I have a recollection as a kid in the 80's of a programme called "Who is the Greatest" which essentially had 2 celebrities arguing over who was better in that chosen sport. I am sure one was Ali vs Marciano and Ted Rogers was batting for Marciano.

Didn't Jimmy Greaves present it ? I have vague memories of the programme too.

Offline art1225

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
The Greatest- Muhammad Ali

A true sporting icon.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2016, 10:30:44 AM »

This?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Fight

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2016, 02:50:27 PM »
Alas, we were never allowed to see The Great Man at his best...

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2016, 05:58:12 AM »

Didn't Jimmy Greaves present it ? I have vague memories of the programme too.

It was shit. They had Brian Moore hosting and Eamonn Andrews represented Marciano as he had commented for Beeb RRadio for some of his latter fights. Can't remember who did Ali.
Ali won.

They did others Laver v McEnroe was another. Maybe Botham v Sobers (which bearing in mind Sober batting record was a non starter and he was also a more varied bowler)

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2016, 06:17:35 AM »

This?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Fight

I think Marciano won. 13th round ko but it was shown after his death

Not sure if it's an urban myth but when Marciano died in the plane crash none of his bones were broken and he died of a heart attack.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal