collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hillsborough  (Read 41756 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Hillsborough
« Reply #360 on: April 02, 2020, 10:37:51 PM »
Absolutely it was.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #361 on: April 03, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »
For those of us old enough to remember Peter Jones he was the doyen of radio broadcasters. Similar to Richie Benaud he seemed to have just the right words, phrasing, tempo to bring the listener along with him without needing to hype up what you were seeing.

With all the great broadcasters you were always in their company for a game. A much lost art.

Online Nev

« Reply #362 on: April 03, 2020, 08:38:55 AM »
For those of us old enough to remember Peter Jones he was the doyen of radio broadcasters. Similar to Richie Benaud he seemed to have just the right words, phrasing, tempo to bring the listener along with him without needing to hype up what you were seeing.

With all the great broadcasters you were always in their company for a game. A much lost art.

Absolutely. The current vogue for empty headed, shouty banter as a way of conveying sports events and opinion on sport is crushingly depressing. It makes terrible assumptions of the listener and what they want to hear or are capable of processing.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2021
« Reply #363 on: April 03, 2020, 08:58:29 AM »
He always described exactly what he saw without too much personal opinion and delivered it with a professional eloquence.  There is no one today that comes anywhere near him, do you hear me Alan Green?

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 09.02.2021
« Reply #364 on: April 03, 2020, 09:10:36 AM »
Just to echo what has already been said about Peter Jones. A master wordsmith who just happened to commentate on football.

Progress doesn't always mean for the better, sports commentary and football in particular being a case in point.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #365 on: April 03, 2020, 08:25:47 PM »
I just read that Peter Jones, the BBC broadcaster, died 30 years ago today.

I can't hear his name without thinking back to this. What a stunning, dignified, heart-wrenching piece of broadcasting. I wonder if this was the day he 'started' to die.

Even all these years later watching and listening to that literally made me shiver.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #366 on: April 04, 2020, 12:56:14 AM »
I just read that Peter Jones, the BBC broadcaster, died 30 years ago today.

I can't hear his name without thinking back to this. What a stunning, dignified, heart-wrenching piece of broadcasting. I wonder if this was the day he 'started' to die.

Even all these years later watching and listening to that literally made me shiver.

Me too watching it last night.

The thing about Hillsborough is, everyone who went to matches - especially as an away fan - before Hillsborough, will have experienced conditions and treatment of the type that led to that happening, the "it could easily have been me" factor. Along with the lingering suspicion that had it happened to you, it would have been your fault anyway.

After the 1990 World Cup football became fashionable and everything changed, quickly.

It's what i believe they call a tipping point.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #367 on: April 04, 2020, 01:48:54 AM »
West Ham LC Qtr final
Notts Forest away 1989
Blues away Dec 1987
Swindon away last game 1988
Any away game at Highfield Rd Coventry

All could have been us moments.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #368 on: April 04, 2020, 07:37:50 AM »
The Baseball Ground at Derby was another potential death trap.

Offline nodge

• GM : 26.01.2021
« Reply #369 on: April 04, 2020, 09:10:10 AM »
West Ham LC Qtr final
Notts Forest away 1989
Blues away Dec 1987

Ironically Hillsborough in 1977, the League Cup Final replay. We were late arriving like a lot of people due to traffic problems. We entered through the furthest left aisle as you faced the pitch. I think Iím right in saying we were in the Kop end?  Someone on here will verify. The crush getting in was horrendous, I remember a woman screaming to the police/stewards at the front by the pitch that children were getting crushed. I was only 12 and my feet werenít touching the floor.  My arms were by my side and I couldnít move them.  It seemed to last for ages but it was probably only minutes but eventually the adults got us to the front as they used to in those days so that we could see. The stewards/police lifted us over the barrier and put us in the middle behind the goal where there was loads of room but for a while it was pretty scary.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2021
« Reply #370 on: April 04, 2020, 09:23:44 AM »
Nodge, I was at that game and we were indeed at the Kop end.  Oddly,. We felt no crush at all and were comfortable throughout the match.  We stood approximately 1/4 of the way up from the front in line with the outside edge of the six yard box.  We weren't late arrivals mind.

I remember the heaving masses there for the 1958 FA Cup semi-final against Forest.  I was ten and there with my Dad in the days of no segregation and we were at the Kop end which from memory was mainly Forest.  Like your experience, I was getting crushed and couldn't see the pitch, next thing I knew these Forest fans had me lifted up and passed over their heads down to the front and they all made way as tight as it was for the Old Man to follow me.  Decent people.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #371 on: April 04, 2020, 04:55:43 PM »
West Ham LC Qtr final
Notts Forest away 1989
Blues away Dec 1987

The West Ham LC QF at Upton Park in 1989 and Forest away in 1989 are the only two times I have gone to a game and not got in. The biggest crushes outside a ground I have been involved in before eventually getting in were the first and last games of the 1987-1988 season at Portman Road and The County Ground Swindon.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #372 on: April 04, 2020, 04:58:36 PM »
While the Swindon end was half empty.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #373 on: April 04, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »
I think many of us grew up with Peter Jones who was just so consummately professional and succinct  without the need for hyperbole. As Dave mentions above I think it was his wife who said she felt he suffered PTSD after that match and he was dead within I think about 18 months. Very very sad.

Iíve mentioned before but considering Alan Green learnt at his knee so to speak what on earth happened. Radio commentary hasnít really been the same since.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #374 on: April 09, 2020, 04:48:43 PM »
West Ham LC Qtr final
Notts Forest away 1989
Blues away Dec 1987

The West Ham LC QF at Upton Park in 1989 and Forest away in 1989 are the only two times I have gone to a game and not got in. The biggest crushes outside a ground I have been involved in before eventually getting in were the first and last games of the 1987-1988 season at Portman Road and The County Ground Swindon.

Man Utd away in late 80s early 90s as well......

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal