collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
June 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 274 | Comments: 0

It is not unknown for us to le...
June 07, 2021, 11:24:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 578 | Comments: 3

The money had almost run out b...
May 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1241 | Comments: 10

It’s forever been a myst...
May 11, 2021, 12:03:49 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1035 | Comments: 4

I was not at all surprised whe...
April 20, 2021, 07:06:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1351 | Comments: 5

It is 19th April 2021 and I fe...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hillsborough  (Read 53100 times)

Offline JD

• GM : 11.01.2022
Re: Hillsborough
« Reply #390 on: April 18, 2021, 02:31:23 AM »
Totally agree Amfy. If they had been honest from the start and said they didn't know how to react to the situation there would have been a lot more sympathy for their actions.
The fact they tried to blame it on the fans and tarred them as hooligans still annoys me even now, all those years later.

You are also right Gareth, it was an accident waiting to happen, the way fans were treated  I can think of many ocassions I was in crowds and felt uncomfortable with the number of fans crammed in. West Ham away was probably the worst.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #391 on: April 18, 2021, 05:28:23 PM »
As I've said several times on here, a leading FSA member told me many years ago, "We don't want anyone in jail. We don't even want them convicted. We just want someone to stand up and say 'I'm sorry. I made a mistake'." Admittedly this was said before the justice campaign really kicked off but I do wonder that if only Duckinfield, and one of two others, has been a bit more conciliatory, the situation might have been resolved.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #392 on: April 19, 2021, 12:18:21 AM »
SY police had done their bit to stick the boot into the miners in the great strike just four years before. Presumably, large numbers were still in the SY force at the time of the Hillsborough atrocity.

As there were no prosecutions for the police riot at Orgreave, many must have thought they were untouchable, ie irresponsible.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #393 on: May 26, 2021, 10:56:35 AM »
The trial has collapsed. There's a surprise.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• GM : 28.06.2021
« Reply #394 on: May 26, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
The trial has collapsed. There's a surprise.
Funny handshakes involved...

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #395 on: May 26, 2021, 01:38:39 PM »
Yeah hear about the threat of trials collapsing due to media and, in particular, social media discussion on the subject.  Is this what has happened here?

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #396 on: May 26, 2021, 01:44:51 PM »
Yeah hear about the threat of trials collapsing due to media and, in particular, social media discussion on the subject.  Is this what has happened here?

No, it was on a point of law.

It's not my area but I don't really understand why the point in question wasn't determined at the outset of the trial as it does not appear to have arisen unexpectedly from the evidence as far as I can tell.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #397 on: May 26, 2021, 01:54:37 PM »
From what I can see it's collapsed because the type of enquiry it was meant that it wasn't a criminal offence for the police to alter the statements, so they could cover their arses for decades. Comforting to know.

For fucks sake.

Offline dr.chekov

« Reply #398 on: May 26, 2021, 02:39:17 PM »
The 2016 inquest said that no misbehaviour by Liverpool fans contributed to the disaster, yet we’re still hearing fucking shit like this today…

https://twitter.com/DavidEasson/status/1397530787113840644

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #399 on: May 26, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
Those comments warrant a complaint to the Bar Standards Board for bringing the profession into disrepute.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 02:55:10 PM by Richard E »

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 14.05.2022
« Reply #400 on: May 26, 2021, 02:52:18 PM »

No, it was on a point of law.

It's not my area but I don't really understand why the point in question wasn't determined at the outset of the trial as it does not appear to have arisen unexpectedly from the evidence as far as I can tell.

I can't believe it wasn't known to be an insurmountable problem from the outset.  Someone said to me ages ago that they couldn't see why they were going to trial, and we both agreed we must be missing something.

I can only think they wanted to try regardless (it's common law after all so knows?), and for the judge to take the flak.

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 14.05.2022
« Reply #401 on: May 26, 2021, 05:39:00 PM »
The Beeb:

The Crown Prosecution Service knew about this technicality long before the trial began - because a previous judge involved in the Hillsborough saga had made exactly the same point in 2018.

So prosecutors had pinned their hopes on convincing a jury that although the accounts were prepared for the Taylor inquiry, everyone involved would have known that other formal proceedings were coming - inquests, criminal investigations or damages cases.

But the judge has said the CPS simply could not prove that case to a jury.

"The problem is that there is little or no evidence about those other proceedings and/or there is no basis upon which to say that anything done by any of these defendants had a tendency to pervert the course of public justice in relation to other proceedings," said Mr Justice William Davis in his ruling ending the case against the three men.

"I have concluded that there is no case fit for the jury's consideration."

Judges must follow the letter of the law - and whatever the actions of the three defendants back in 1989, they are all innocent of perverting the course of justice.

Their lawyers say the Crown Prosecution Service has serious questions to answer - labelling the entire affair a multi-million pound "witch-hunt" that should never have happened because there was no case against any of the men.

Some say there is an urgent need to change the law to ensure that a future and similar criminal case could be considered by a jury.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #402 on: May 26, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »
Great. So we're still at a point, over thirty years later, where I believe the only criminally culpable person was the SWFC secretary, on a charge of not having enough turnstiles. Something which logically you'd think would prevent a crush inside the ground.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #403 on: May 26, 2021, 05:55:22 PM »
Have I got  this correct - it has been established that 96 people were illegally killed but no crime was committed?

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 09.04.2022
« Reply #404 on: May 26, 2021, 07:50:06 PM »
I have 5live on at work and they were completely focused on the Dominic Cummings questioning.

They broke away for a minute to hear the verdict and then went back again when Adrian Chiles let this thermo nuclear c**t spout the same bullshit we’ve heard since April 1989 without questioning.

I turned it off and have only just found out that Chiles apologised 30 minutes later after a barrage of complaints.

They just interviewed a couple of family members who looked beyond drained. One said they knew they’d never get any closure to this and it would live with them until they died.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal