collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andre Green - on loan at PNE  (Read 68017 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 17.02.2021
Re: Andre Green
« Reply #390 on: January 22, 2019, 05:03:25 PM »
He was unlucky to get that bad hamstring tear just after hed broken into the team as well as before that hed really shown some ability.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2019, 08:36:53 PM »
Our defence is terrible

Trying a winger who's unproven, as  a left back..

Well it's brave. I'll give you that

Gidman, Swain and Gibson were all converted wingers, so it can work.

Fortune favours the brave  ;)

I heard something like that mentioned on the MOMS podcast. I also heard Michael Cox on the Totally Football podcast saying that all/ most of the best centre backs in recent years have been converted midfielders - I can't remember all of the names now, but there were several examples, and it sounded quite compelling.

I've long considered full back/ wing back as the most important position on the pitch. The success of teams does seem anecdotally to depend on the quality of the players they have in these positions. Quite simply an enormous amount of the play goes through them. In this sense its not surprising that Man City have spend so much money on full backs, or that our success under MON was held back by the paucity of our options in these positions. Carlos Cuellar FFS.

I do wonder whether someone like Green, who has not quite made the breakthrough yet, either because he is not quite good enough, or hasn't had a consistent run in the side, might be a good candidate to be converted into a full back. Having an attacking player's mindset, and quality on the ball, might overshadow his immediate defensive inexperience.

This is obviously where good coaching can make all the difference. He would need to be taught how to play the position, and it wouldn't necessarily come naturally to him.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
The reason for that is that at youth level, in most countries, centre backs are expected to be able to defend and then give the play to other people who can actually play. If they're not coached to be comfortable with the ball they end up being severely limited players at senior level. Players like Baker are a perfect example of the problem.

For full backs I think converted wingers can work at the very highest level but once you get down to even the bottom half of the premier league you'll find that central midfielders are more easily converted (and vice versa).

Offline Villa75

« Reply #393 on: January 22, 2019, 10:18:56 PM »
If the club is really not that fussed about promotion any time soon, I would much rather we gave some of our youngsters a real run in the side. Not just the odd game here or there, but a real good run to prove themselves.

We're very unlikely to get relegated with the points we already have. So let's fuck off all the loan players - unless we have first option to buy - and see what our youngsters are really made of.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2019, 10:23:31 PM »
I have asked previously as I do not know what his key attributes are

Heading - no
tackling - no
Pace - not really
Dribbling / tricks - not seen any
Crossing - no evidence of any real ability or previous assists
Shooting - to be fair he has had a few decent efforts I remember

I like the guy and his enthusiasm but wonder if he will make it and in which position

That's harsh....there is goals in this kid. Very much a right sided option though.

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2019, 10:25:45 PM »
If the club is really not that fussed about promotion any time soon, I would much rather we gave some of our youngsters a real run in the side. Not just the odd game here or there, but a real good run to prove themselves.

We're very unlikely to get relegated with the points we already have. So let's fuck off all the loan players - unless we have first option to buy - and see what our youngsters are really made of.

I agree 100%
but I also know its not going to happen

I also think we would have just as much chance of the play offs with our younger players than with useless bunch we keep playing every week bar a couple

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2019, 11:39:22 PM »

That's not accurate. Purslow said it wasn't imperative this season. I have no doubt at all that will be the goal next season.

Online SheffieldVillain

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2019, 01:44:23 AM »

Bolasie / Moreira - already gone/going.
Hause - option to buy.
El Ghazi - option to buy.
Tuanzebe - longish term injury.

So by "fucking off all the loan players who we haven't first option on", basically you're saying we should send back our top scorer Tammy Abraham who we've just spent the last month trying to keep? Great plan.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 05:55:16 AM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline Villa75

« Reply #398 on: January 23, 2019, 11:59:16 AM »

Hause - option to buy.

So by "fucking off all the loan players who we haven't first option on", basically you're saying we should send back our top scorer Tammy Abraham who we've just spent the last month trying to keep? Great plan.

Yes. If they're not good enough or staying long term, get rid.

If we're not going up, and we've no chance of keeping him, what's the point in paying Abraham's wages and? Unless you think we're capable of being relegated?

I, for one, don't want to be going through the same shit next season. If there's a long term feasible plan, let's start seeing it and stop pissing about.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2020
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2019, 12:02:24 PM »

Hause - option to buy.

Yes. If they're not good enough or staying long term, get rid.

If we're not going up, and we've no chance of keeping him, what's the point in paying Abraham's wages and? Unless you think we're capable of being relegated?

I, for one, don't want to be going through the same shit next season. If there's a long term feasible plan, let's start seeing it and stop pissing about.
Do you not think we are capable of getting in the play-offs?  To give up on that right now would be madness.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:56 PM »
It matters not what I think.

Our owners aren't too bothered, the manager and players don't look like they think so, some fans reckon we've got a turd of a squad and/or not ready for the top division, and our recent results would point to it being unlikely.

I'll go with the flow and, especially with the lack of activity in trying to correct our failings in this window, I'll say it's extremely unlikely.

So. Let's see this long term plan now. Not wait until this time next season when we're saying the same things again, or coming out with get more excuses why we should wait another year.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »

Our owners aren't too bothered, the manager and players don't look like they think so, some fans reckon we've got a turd of a squad and/or not ready for the top division, and our recent results would point to it being unlikely.

I'll go with the flow and, especially with the lack of activity in trying to correct our failings in this window, I'll say it's extremely unlikely.

So. Let's see this long term plan now. Not wait until this time next season when we're saying the same things again, or coming out with get more excuses why we should wait another year.

I have seen you make this point about a dozen times recently, to the effect that it has now become something repeated as if true.

The owners did not say they were not bothered about promotion this year - that is a totally different point to the one they made, which was that we are not in a 'get promoted or bust' situation.

Why on earth you have spun that to mean they don't really give much of a shit, so what's the point even trying is beyond me.

In fact, that's not all you've done, you've started to extrapolate from that that the players therefore do not give a shit either.

Isn't there enough other stuff to get miserable about without blatantly making stuff like this up?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #402 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:25 PM »

If what you think doesn't matter, why say you want to see a long term plan?

Which flow are you going with? I've not heard anyone say they don't want promotion, and I've seen that we've so far signed a goalie, centre back, recalled a centre back and a winger/attacking player in terms of improving our squad.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »

If what you think doesn't matter, why say you want to see a long term plan?

Which flow are you going with? I've not heard anyone say they don't want promotion, and I've seen that we've so far signed a goalie, centre back, recalled a centre back and a winger/attacking player in terms of improving our squad.

You want to try reading things in context.

I was asked "did you not think we are capable of being in the play offs". My initial comment was a reply to that direct question.

What I think has no bearing. What the owners, manager, and players think does.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #404 on: January 23, 2019, 01:59:58 PM »
From the bits I have seen of him so far in his career, he has looked far more effective coming off the bench in the latter stages (as have most of our wide options so far this season).  Bolasie leaving means he will be in contention to start, but I can't recall him ever being that convincing when he has started for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal