collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Ross Barkley - signed by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:43:03 AM]

Happy Relegation Day! by Rory
[Today at 12:26:28 AM]

Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome by Nunkin1965
[Today at 12:02:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by robbo1874
[April 16, 2021, 11:04:59 PM]

Jack Grealish - for life? by Deano's Mullet
[April 16, 2021, 10:16:35 PM]

Other Games - 2020/21 by Deano's Mullet
[April 16, 2021, 10:07:40 PM]

Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by Holte132
[April 16, 2021, 09:48:44 PM]

Champions League restructuring by algy
[April 16, 2021, 09:39:52 PM]

April 09, 2021, 07:47:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 678 | Comments: 14

1967: Preston North End and...
April 03, 2021, 09:55:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1489 | Comments: 27

ďMental pain is...
April 01, 2021, 01:09:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 263 | Comments: 0

In the fifties it used to be t...
March 30, 2021, 12:00:59 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 443 | Comments: 5

Over the years, Villa Park has...
March 26, 2021, 01:56:48 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 574 | Comments: 9

On the principle that if you c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Andre Green - on loan at PNE  (Read 84259 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Andre Green - on loan at PNE
« Reply #690 on: January 15, 2021, 11:37:17 AM »
I agree, has the attributes to be a very good player if his mind is focussed.  Maybe the time out of the game without a club will make him appreciate just how precarious life can be as a footballer and he will kick on. 

Plus, the goal against Sheffield Utd is still one of my favourites from the promotion season - it might not have been part of the long unbeaten run, but I do think it had an effect on the players in terms of showing we were always in games.  For years up until that season we always seemed to be on the end of late winners or equalisers.  It might be selective memory, but ever since that game it feels like we are more often than not the one's scoring the late heartbreakers.

Certainly this season where we just seem fitter and certainly younger than the opposition. Late winners against Leicester and Wolves and more recently Man United celebrating like they had won a trophy when Bailly blocked Davis in injury time. The Southampton manager commenting that we had wore his time down in the second half comeback. Long may it continue.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #691 on: January 15, 2021, 12:26:18 PM »
I like Green and think he's a very technically gifted player but he never kicked on because of some mental block that meant he never even tried to be the player he was as a 17 year old when he was playing in the first team. At other teams he never seemed to feel the pressure so much so hopefully he can show what he can do now, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes his way back to the premier league in a few years.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #692 on: January 15, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »
He was good when he first broke though. That bad injury early in 17/18 did him. Lacked confidence when he returned but I still think we might've kept him as squad player in premier league. However he was terrible in the second game at WBA when he started so think that said to DS that he wouldn't step up to prem if he was freezing in a high presure match to get up.

Surprised he didn't sign for anyone in the summer.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #693 on: January 15, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »
He was good when he first broke though. That bad injury early in 17/18 did him. Lacked confidence when he returned but I still think we might've kept him as squad player in premier league. However he was terrible in the second game at WBA when he started so think that said to DS that he wouldn't step up to prem if he was freezing in a high presure match to get up.

I'd agree that the injury seemed to be the breaking point, he never had the same confidence with the bal lat his feet afterwards and then he just withdrew more and more when things weren't going for him. I'm not that surprised he didn't get a club until now, I can imagine that he decided to take a few months to get his head right because lets not forget this is a guy who, at 16, was being linked with some of the biggest clubs in Europe and talked up as a future England player and now as a 22 year old was being released on a free.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #694 on: January 15, 2021, 02:38:48 PM »
According to The Athletic he had quite a few Championship teams interested in him in the summer, not just the dross but sexy ones too (Brentford). If he shows his talent he won't be long at the factory of sadness that is Hillsborough (formerly Villa Park as we know). I wonder would he have met Barry Bannan (now at Weds) during their time at VP. There is an age difference obvs but maybe the taller yet younger Andre once ruffled Baz's hair once when exiting the Academy or something.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #695 on: January 15, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »
Just shows how quickly careers can turn for players. Didn't he come on in the playoff final for us? Already getting close to the last chance saloon career wise for him

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
« Reply #696 on: January 15, 2021, 03:13:33 PM »

I'd agree that the injury seemed to be the breaking point, he never had the same confidence with the bal lat his feet afterwards and then he just withdrew more and more when things weren't going for him. I'm not that surprised he didn't get a club until now, I can imagine that he decided to take a few months to get his head right because lets not forget this is a guy who, at 16, was being linked with some of the biggest clubs in Europe and talked up as a future England player and now as a 22 year old was being released on a free.

There have been loads over the years. It's easier to dominate at a younger age, but I can think of dozens of "next big things" that turned out to be anything but. Delfouneso and Crowley to name but two off the top of my head.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #697 on: January 15, 2021, 03:20:25 PM »

There have been loads over the years. It's easier to dominate at a younger age, but I can think of dozens of "next big things" that turned out to be anything but. Delfouneso and Crowley to name but two off the top of my head.

Of course there have, but for each of them as individuals it must be a hard thing to deal with. I suspect the injury to Green and the struggle for form that followed and led to here has played on his mind heavily, that's all.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2022
« Reply #698 on: January 15, 2021, 03:39:06 PM »
Yes of course, wasn't disagreeing with you. One minute he's part of a team that has a joyous promotion, then not long after he sees his mates like Grealish and McGinn tearing Liverpool apart while he's sat at home wondering if his career is over or not.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #699 on: January 15, 2021, 04:51:56 PM »
Good for him really pleased he's got another contract, thanks for that 96th minute joy.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #700 on: January 15, 2021, 07:35:09 PM »
He's far too good to be disguarded to the professional game.  If only his crossing was better quality.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 21.03.2022
« Reply #701 on: January 15, 2021, 11:54:43 PM »
Just shows how quickly careers can turn for players. Didn't he come on in the playoff final for us? Already getting close to the last chance saloon career wise for him

He's only 22 and has just signed for a club in one of the biggest and richest leagues in Europe!

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #702 on: January 16, 2021, 10:25:25 AM »
He's far too good to be disguarded to the professional game.  If only his crossing was better quality.

Thatís his problem. He is a winger who canít cross consistently. He is never going to play at anywhere near the top level with that problem

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #703 on: January 16, 2021, 11:18:39 AM »

Thatís his problem. He is a winger who canít cross consistently. He is never going to play at anywhere near the top level with that problem

His left foot is only for standing on, touch very wooden....has a lot to work on let's be honest. But can't really fathom how no championship club took a punt on him last summer and only a real crisis club this month. Hope it works out.

Wonder if a centre forward could be made out of him? Big unit and a good shot.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #704 on: January 16, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
Hopefully that arthritis problem has been sorted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal