collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.  (Read 1459 times)

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
Re: 3-5-2 or 3-4-3.
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
We certainly have the centre-backs and wing-backs to play 3-5-2.

remember when Bruce tried to play it with Tommy Elphick and Nathan Baker as two of the three?

Oh dear!!!

Christ it's easy to forget fringe players once they move on. How are they doing?

Baker is a squad player. Elphick was regular but made a few errors leading to goals (nothing new there) and he got a bad injury a few weeks ago.

Online Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
Whilst yesterday was a success it might not be good news for smith in the long term.

As I understood it the club wanted a defined philosophy so they could tailor coaching and recruitment. Switching from a back 4 to a back 3 is a pretty big change if all scouting/planning has been undertaken based on variations of 4231 and 433.

Whilst pragmatism was needed I do not think Smith is the ideal man for chopping and changing tactics as hes a purist who has faith  in a particular, his, system.

There's no reason why we can't go back to the preferred formation when we have the personnel to play it effectively.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »
It shouldn't have taken this long for the manager to adopt a new system. Dean should have open to a number of systems and tactical approaches throughout the season. So let's hope this gives him the confidence and belief to try different things vs other opponents as needed.

We have not had the opportunity to play three at the back with Mings being out since the Leicester match. Prior to that match, things were not going to bad for a promoted side. Having said that, both Engels and Hause have been out injured at one time or another which has limited the opportunity to test this, even in training.

When things started to go wrong, we were also being hit by injuries, making it difficult to change things. I think the manager has been trying different things but this has centred on midfield and the wide players. There is no doubt that not bringing in an extra forward in the summer has rely caught us out.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 29.07.2019
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 01:51:51 PM »
You can have principles without needing to dogmatically stick to a certain formation. I don't see how it massively affects our transfer strategy beyond potentially needing an extra centre half.

I think it is a bit more subtle that that.  A CB in a back three needs to be a better passer and comfortable filling in as full back so ideally pacy.  Similarly do you scout wingers, inside forwards or wing backs as these are different roles which could be redundant if we switch between systems too often.

Online Ad@m

• GM : 01.02.2020
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2020, 07:27:29 PM »
You can have principles without needing to dogmatically stick to a certain formation. I don't see how it massively affects our transfer strategy beyond potentially needing an extra centre half.

I think it is a bit more subtle that that.  A CB in a back three needs to be a better passer and comfortable filling in as full back so ideally pacy.  Similarly do you scout wingers, inside forwards or wing backs as these are different roles which could be redundant if we switch between systems too often.

Regardless of the formation, having centre backs who are quick and can pass is clearly the preference. And we've been signing versatile full backs and wingers for years already.