collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who'd take Pulis now?  (Read 22510 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Who'd take Pulis now?
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »
I'm not sure you can compare the two anyway. Pulis is way out there on his own when it comes to mind numblingly dull football.

you can compare the two,
Tuesday night was every inch a Pulis type performance

Two peas in a pod for me, along with Alardyce, Moyes, McLaren etc

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
The way I look at our style of play is that yeah it could be better, but at the moment the aim is to get promoted.  Its different with West Brom and Pulis because they had a couple of solid seasons of sustaining a mid-table finish (or not far off) under him.  I can understand their fans now wanting a bit more .  We're in a different position.  When Bruce took over we were in a mess, more likely to drop down another division than return to the top flight (it happened to Leeds, it can happen to us).  His first job was to make us solid and compete again.  He's done that.  Now the job is to get us back up.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2017, 05:37:42 PM »
I'm not sure you can compare the two anyway. Pulis is way out there on his own when it comes to mind numblingly dull football.

you can compare the two,

By the same contrast, we've played some decent football. We should have had 4 or 5 against QPR. Pulis has spent all season playing three holding midfielders.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »

you can compare the two,

By the same contrast, we've played some decent football. We should have had 4 or 5 against QPR. Pulis has spent all season playing three holding midfielders.

Pulis has finished in the top half of the prem and is up against very a different class of opposition than we are playing
he plays shit football to try and stay in that league we play shit football to try and get out of ours

There really isn’t a lot of difference between the two, we have no reason to laugh at a Pulis for his crappy rubbish football when we have our own man doing exactly the same

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »

you can compare the two,

Pulis has finished in the top half of the prem and is up against very a different class of opposition than we are playing
he plays shit football to try and stay in that league we play shit football to try and get out of ours

There really isn’t a lot of difference between the two, we have no reason to laugh at a Pulis for his crappy rubbish football when we have our own man doing exactly the same

There's a few teams in the prem who attempt to play better football than Pulis who are also trying to stay im the prem and do so effectively and without the need to play 7-8 defensive minded players.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:59:27 PM by Clampy »

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
Please let them appoint Mclaren to pay "Albion" style football. Their fans are so delusional about the way they should play and how huge a club they are. Plus was detestable and I would happily never see a side of his face a rugby field again.

We can't really mock Albion fans in regards to the demand about the style of football, all you need do is look at the Bruce Out thread and you'll see that we have a fair share of fans with the same mindset.

Indeed. Football fans wanting to watch decent football. Outrageous.

Winning football is more important for me, as lets face it that's all that matters.  No points are handed out for good football.

No, but as has been argued here exhaustively, playing good football gives a better chance of winning.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »
You would if the neutral was a player undecided about coming to us or a sponsor undecided about investing in us.  In this day and age image is everything.  It should not be but that is the reality. 

You could argue that it didnt stop Nacer Chadli or Barry signing for Pulis. They could have done a lot better for themselves.
How do you know that?

What, how do i know they couldn't play for a bigger club than Albion and a manager who played better football?
That they had better offers at that time, you don’t.

Maybe they didnt but they could have stayed where they were but they chose to play for Pulis.
OMG

You're missing my point. Brian commented on how a manager who plays drab football could put good footballers off signing for hin. In this case, it did'nt.
Who can take a sunrise.
Sprinkle it with dew,
Cover it with chocolate
And a miracle or two
Cause he mixes it with love and the world tastes good.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2017, 07:41:54 PM »
You on cake?

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2017, 08:12:53 PM »
I read somewhere that Pulis has never got more than 50 points in the PL. 40 points is his target, that's the extent of his ambition, and playing boring footy.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2017, 10:35:35 PM »
You on cake?

It's a fucking disgrace!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »
You on cake?

It's a fucking disgrace!

It explains a lot. He only thinks Bruce's football is dull because all the cake he takes has affected his Shatners Bassoon.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #161 on: November 25, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
Not really much difference between Bruce and Pulis IMO. If we're playing this sort of football in the Championship where we are relatively big fish with a decent squad of players compared to the opposition, what are we going to be playing at WBA's level? I for one am not expecting anything more than Pulis produced IF we get promoted

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #162 on: November 25, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
Not really much difference between Bruce and Pulis IMO. If we're playing this sort of football in the Championship where we are relatively big fish with a decent squad of players compared to the opposition, what are we going to be playing at WBA's level? I for one am not expecting anything more than Pulis produced IF we get promoted

At least Bruce is farily amiable, Pullis would drain the life out of a hyperactive bat encassed in emphatamines.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #163 on: November 25, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »
well a manager can be as dour and miserable as he likes, as long as he doesn't play football that way. To me Pullis and Bruce have their instincts which is not to lose and be hard to beat and it's serves them well upto a point. I think Bruce made the point that losing had become a habit for us and he had to change that, so fair play for doing that i guess. The trouble is, once they have a defensively decent set-up its a case of "what now?" I'm not surprised Pulis couldn't push on and make them a bit more adventurous and pleasant to watch and unfortunately Bruce's record is much the same.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
Pardew for the Bitters? - hope so, he always causes chaos and it usually ends in tears.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal