collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Holte L2
[Today at 06:16:35 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211487 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Paul Lambert (R)
« Reply #1395 on: March 02, 2021, 08:59:19 PM »
Lambert was manager when Benteke was signed, but he was spotted and scouted by McLeish. That I do know.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1396 on: March 03, 2021, 12:07:15 AM »
Didn’t Dempsey turn us down on deadline day?  Or was it Dempsey from Dempsey and Makepeace?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1397 on: March 03, 2021, 08:40:22 AM »
I always had a soft spot for Alex McLeish ever since he was part of the Abderdeen squad that stayed here in Dawlish for a pre-season. They were a great bunch, really friendly. Jim Bett, Willer Miller, Jim Leighton, Dave Dodds. Ian Porterfield had just taken over from Ferguson and was a real gent. At the time Dawlish Town managed to get decent teams coming down for pre-season. They would play here as well as Torquay and Exeter City. Aberdeen though really made the most of our Football Club, staying behind using the facilities and getting to know everyone here.
My mom washed their kit for them between matches and gave them lifts from the hotel to town, or to our club. As a 12 year old mad on football it was fantastic. When they played Exeter, Jim Bett was injured and in the stands, he shouted over to my mom and gave her a wave. It was really ace!

McLeish was a great bloke, I just wish he was not given the job here. He was completely the wrong choice of football brain for us and nothing to do with managing that lot.

Who’s results should I keep an eye on and who should I go and watch if I need a footy fix down here then Ian, non league and league.

The Gulls should be back in League 2 next season, derby day v Exeter and of course the Carlisle home game for the well travelled Cumbrians.

It's a real shame but my local side Dawlish Town finally folded in 2011. My dad was heavily involved with them from the moment we moved here in 83. They were a big part of my life, playing for the kids set-up and eventually captaining the seconds. I was fortunate enough to be in the squad for a Wembley Cup Final, The Carlsberg Pub Cup in 96. We won so I got to do the Wembley steps and enjoy being part of the whole weekend. Dawlish were a pretty good force down here for years in the Western League and had a good history.

Typical story though, a few bad owners and debts. before folding.

I'm a bit out of the loop with local football and I haven't been for years but I always did enjoy watching Exeter City at St James Park the most. It's a really lovely City too. Lots of character with the Roman walls and old Tudor buildings. They also have the Quay down on the river. I really like Exeter.

Torquay United was ok, the atmosphere was never quite as good as City though. Plymouth Argyle has changed a lot since I've been there, I have heard it's not too bad and quite a good ground to go to. The Barbican Centre there is fantastic as well. I haven't actually been to a match there since we beat them in 3-1 while Taylor was boss.

As regards non league Buckland Athletic, near Newton Abbot have a great set-up now. They are doing very well worth watching. They are just off the main bypass between Newton and Torquay in Kingskerswell.

Thanks Ian, some good stuff here.
Disappointed to see another Blues shirt yesterday in Topsham, that’s 2 I’ve seen now in the past 6 weeks in the Teign/Exe area.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1398 on: March 03, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »
If you’re ever chatting away with other Villa fans about the bad old days try playing the Hobsons choice managers game
Guaranteed to liven up proceedings

you have to take one to come back and manage
which one do you go for ?

Alex McLeish
Paul Lambert
Steve Bruce

it’s not easy but i always go for McLeish
Decent bloke
Won stuff as a manager
More likeable than the other two imo
talked just a bit less bullshit than the others
Had respect for the fans
Never said ‘ off with me Hed‘ or ‘ we go again‘

But in a race to the bottom there is not much in it really

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1399 on: March 03, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »
I always had a soft spot for Alex McLeish ever since he was part of the Abderdeen squad that stayed here in Dawlish for a pre-season. They were a great bunch, really friendly. Jim Bett, Willer Miller, Jim Leighton, Dave Dodds. Ian Porterfield had just taken over from Ferguson and was a real gent. At the time Dawlish Town managed to get decent teams coming down for pre-season. They would play here as well as Torquay and Exeter City. Aberdeen though really made the most of our Football Club, staying behind using the facilities and getting to know everyone here.
My mom washed their kit for them between matches and gave them lifts from the hotel to town, or to our club. As a 12 year old mad on football it was fantastic. When they played Exeter, Jim Bett was injured and in the stands, he shouted over to my mom and gave her a wave. It was really ace!

McLeish was a great bloke, I just wish he was not given the job here. He was completely the wrong choice of football brain for us and nothing to do with managing that lot.

Who’s results should I keep an eye on and who should I go and watch if I need a footy fix down here then Ian, non league and league.

The Gulls should be back in League 2 next season, derby day v Exeter and of course the Carlisle home game for the well travelled Cumbrians.

It's a real shame but my local side Dawlish Town finally folded in 2011. My dad was heavily involved with them from the moment we moved here in 83. They were a big part of my life, playing for the kids set-up and eventually captaining the seconds. I was fortunate enough to be in the squad for a Wembley Cup Final, The Carlsberg Pub Cup in 96. We won so I got to do the Wembley steps and enjoy being part of the whole weekend. Dawlish were a pretty good force down here for years in the Western League and had a good history.

Typical story though, a few bad owners and debts. before folding.

I'm a bit out of the loop with local football and I haven't been for years but I always did enjoy watching Exeter City at St James Park the most. It's a really lovely City too. Lots of character with the Roman walls and old Tudor buildings. They also have the Quay down on the river. I really like Exeter.

Torquay United was ok, the atmosphere was never quite as good as City though. Plymouth Argyle has changed a lot since I've been there, I have heard it's not too bad and quite a good ground to go to. The Barbican Centre there is fantastic as well. I haven't actually been to a match there since we beat them in 3-1 while Taylor was boss.

As regards non league Buckland Athletic, near Newton Abbot have a great set-up now. They are doing very well worth watching. They are just off the main bypass between Newton and Torquay in Kingskerswell.

Thanks Ian, some good stuff here.
Disappointed to see another Blues shirt yesterday in Topsham, that’s 2 I’ve seen now in the past 6 weeks in the Teign/Exe area.

Fetch the elephant gun

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1400 on: March 04, 2021, 01:01:35 PM »
If you’re ever chatting away with other Villa fans about the bad old days try playing the Hobsons choice managers game

Alex McLeish
Paul Lambert
Steve Bruce

Decent bloke
Won stuff as a manager
Had respect for the fans

Jesus what a question, more highs under Lambert but he's the one I disliked the most by the end.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1401 on: March 07, 2021, 09:54:49 AM »
So  much of this has that feeling of "here he goes again"

There is suddenly cautious excitement among supporters but the club’s next manager has to first bring a fractured squad back together. “The mood within the club has been terrible,” says one well-placed source. “It’s been a car crash.”

The Athletic has been told Lambert gradually lost friends within the dressing room due to his abrasive man-management style. “He trots out the stuff about playing for Dortmund and Celtic,” said one source. “But respect should be earned not given.”
Lambert fell out with players Kayden Jackson and Jon Nolan when they objected to him questioning their commitment, and it is thought he might have been reluctant to select either for the remainder of the season. Jackson, who finished as top scorer last season and attracted unsuccessful bids from Championship side Bournemouth in the summer, has not featured since getting a straight red card in a 1-0 loss at home to Sunderland last month.

“Lambert wouldn’t talk to him,” said one source. “He wouldn’t even make eye contact with him.” Another dressing room figure to speak to The Athletic says the absence of clear communication from Lambert became an increasing problem during his final weeks in charge.

Last Tuesday’s 1-0 win away to Hull and then Saturday’s 2-1 home victory over Doncaster will do nothing to alter perceptions of Lambert. “I’ve never known the fanbase to be so united in one position, which is effectively against the manager,” says Joe Fairs of the Ipswich-focused Blue Monday podcast. “Most clubs would’ve sacked him three times over.”

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1402 on: March 07, 2021, 10:48:33 AM »
So  much of this has that feeling of "here he goes again"

There is suddenly cautious excitement among supporters but the club’s next manager has to first bring a fractured squad back together. “The mood within the club has been terrible,” says one well-placed source. “It’s been a car crash.”

The Athletic has been told Lambert gradually lost friends within the dressing room due to his abrasive man-management style. “He trots out the stuff about playing for Dortmund and Celtic,” said one source. “But respect should be earned not given.”
Lambert fell out with players Kayden Jackson and Jon Nolan when they objected to him questioning their commitment, and it is thought he might have been reluctant to select either for the remainder of the season. Jackson, who finished as top scorer last season and attracted unsuccessful bids from Championship side Bournemouth in the summer, has not featured since getting a straight red card in a 1-0 loss at home to Sunderland last month.

“Lambert wouldn’t talk to him,” said one source. “He wouldn’t even make eye contact with him.” Another dressing room figure to speak to The Athletic says the absence of clear communication from Lambert became an increasing problem during his final weeks in charge.

Last Tuesday’s 1-0 win away to Hull and then Saturday’s 2-1 home victory over Doncaster will do nothing to alter perceptions of Lambert. “I’ve never known the fanbase to be so united in one position, which is effectively against the manager,” says Joe Fairs of the Ipswich-focused Blue Monday podcast. “Most clubs would’ve sacked him three times over.”

"An absence  of clear communication from Lambert". I am shocked, I always thought of him as the great orator.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1403 on: March 07, 2021, 11:20:14 AM »

Alex McLeish
Paul Lambert
Steve Bruce

Decent bloke
Won stuff as a manager
Had respect for the fans

McLeish just wasn't good enough but at least he was honest and came across as if he really did want the best for us.

Lambert lost it and spent months trying to get himself sacked.

Bruce left us with the weakest squad I think I've ever seen at Villa, if we hadn't been promoted when we were I suspect we'd have struggled for a few years whilst Smith built up a squad similar to the one he had at Brentford, largely on the back of the money we got for Grealish and McGinn.

Offline basavfc

« Reply #1404 on: March 09, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »

Are you mad

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1405 on: March 09, 2021, 12:20:36 PM »

Are you mad
Eh?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1406 on: March 09, 2021, 12:48:39 PM »
Alex McLeish
Paul Lambert
Steve Bruce

Decent bloke
Won stuff as a manager
Had respect for the fans

I cannot get over McLeish's vanity purchase of Charles and the team he put out against Spurrrrrrrs.
Bruce was pure bullshit.
Lambert probably suffered most from crap Board support and lack of guidance from the owner ... but still mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1407 on: March 09, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
The head scratcher for me was how somebody could relegate Small Heath and then walk into the Villa job.
I can't see an Everton manager ever taking them down and then immediately getting the Liverpool job.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1408 on: March 09, 2021, 01:03:21 PM »
The head scratcher for me was how somebody could relegate Small Heath and then walk into the Villa job.
I can't see an Everton manager ever taking them down and then immediately getting the Liverpool job.

Didn't Lerner's checklist at the time for the Villa manager's job include the requirement to "know the area"?  I wonder how much Klopp knew about Liverpool or Guardiola knew about the cotton village before they got their respective jobs.  It was when we knew for certain Lerner was nuts.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1409 on: March 09, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »

Didn't Lerner's checklist at the time for the Villa manager's job include the requirement to "know the area"?  I wonder how much Klopp knew about Liverpool or Guardiola knew about the cotton village before they got their respective jobs.  It was when we knew for certain Lerner was nuts.

First I've heard of it. I've always thought that after being shafted by managers twice in twelve months he wanted someone who would be more straightforward. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal