collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211981 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Paul Lambert (R)
« Reply #1380 on: March 02, 2021, 01:08:10 PM »
I always had a soft spot for Alex McLeish ever since he was part of the Abderdeen squad that stayed here in Dawlish for a pre-season. They were a great bunch, really friendly. Jim Bett, Willer Miller, Jim Leighton, Dave Dodds. Ian Porterfield had just taken over from Ferguson and was a real gent. At the time Dawlish Town managed to get decent teams coming down for pre-season. They would play here as well as Torquay and Exeter City. Aberdeen though really made the most of our Football Club, staying behind using the facilities and getting to know everyone here.
My mom washed their kit for them between matches and gave them lifts from the hotel to town, or to our club. As a 12 year old mad on football it was fantastic. When they played Exeter, Jim Bett was injured and in the stands, he shouted over to my mom and gave her a wave. It was really ace!

McLeish was a great bloke, I just wish he was not given the job here. He was completely the wrong choice of football brain for us and nothing to do with managing that lot.

Great attitude, Willer Miller. Always just seemed to want it more!

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1381 on: March 02, 2021, 01:27:33 PM »
I always had a soft spot for Alex McLeish ever since he was part of the Abderdeen squad that stayed here in Dawlish for a pre-season. They were a great bunch, really friendly. Jim Bett, Willer Miller, Jim Leighton, Dave Dodds. Ian Porterfield had just taken over from Ferguson and was a real gent. At the time Dawlish Town managed to get decent teams coming down for pre-season. They would play here as well as Torquay and Exeter City. Aberdeen though really made the most of our Football Club, staying behind using the facilities and getting to know everyone here.
My mom washed their kit for them between matches and gave them lifts from the hotel to town, or to our club. As a 12 year old mad on football it was fantastic. When they played Exeter, Jim Bett was injured and in the stands, he shouted over to my mom and gave her a wave. It was really ace!

McLeish was a great bloke, I just wish he was not given the job here. He was completely the wrong choice of football brain for us and nothing to do with managing that lot.

Who’s results should I keep an eye on and who should I go and watch if I need a footy fix down here then Ian, non league and league.

The Gulls should be back in League 2 next season, derby day v Exeter and of course the Carlisle home game for the well travelled Cumbrians.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1382 on: March 02, 2021, 04:33:52 PM »

Great attitude, Willer Miller. Always just seemed to want it more!
That team they had back then was a really good side.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1383 on: March 02, 2021, 04:42:59 PM »
Lambert replaced at Ipswich by Paul Cook. Great upgrade for them.

Online Ian.

« Reply #1384 on: March 02, 2021, 04:53:07 PM »

Who’s results should I keep an eye on and who should I go and watch if I need a footy fix down here then Ian, non league and league.

The Gulls should be back in League 2 next season, derby day v Exeter and of course the Carlisle home game for the well travelled Cumbrians.

It's a real shame but my local side Dawlish Town finally folded in 2011. My dad was heavily involved with them from the moment we moved here in 83. They were a big part of my life, playing for the kids set-up and eventually captaining the seconds. I was fortunate enough to be in the squad for a Wembley Cup Final, The Carlsberg Pub Cup in 96. We won so I got to do the Wembley steps and enjoy being part of the whole weekend. Dawlish were a pretty good force down here for years in the Western League and had a good history.

Typical story though, a few bad owners and debts. before folding.

I'm a bit out of the loop with local football and I haven't been for years but I always did enjoy watching Exeter City at St James Park the most. It's a really lovely City too. Lots of character with the Roman walls and old Tudor buildings. They also have the Quay down on the river. I really like Exeter.

Torquay United was ok, the atmosphere was never quite as good as City though. Plymouth Argyle has changed a lot since I've been there, I have heard it's not too bad and quite a good ground to go to. The Barbican Centre there is fantastic as well. I haven't actually been to a match there since we beat them in 3-1 while Taylor was boss.

As regards non league Buckland Athletic, near Newton Abbot have a great set-up now. They are doing very well worth watching. They are just off the main bypass between Newton and Torquay in Kingskerswell.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #1385 on: March 02, 2021, 05:15:43 PM »
Great stuff Ian.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1386 on: March 02, 2021, 05:32:02 PM »
Lambert, ok. Not a great manager but some of the view on here towards are pretty extreme. He kept us up as the club the board / owner didn't give a f**k. He left then not long after he went down. Basically,  I don't think he was that bad in the circumstances.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1387 on: March 02, 2021, 05:57:15 PM »
Lambert did as he was told by the person paying his wages. You can't really blame him for that.

Also, the principle of buying young players with promise isn't inherently flawed either.

The issue with Lambert is he was all or nothing. At first we had a bunch of journeymen and players coming to the wrong end of their career, then at the drop off a hat he stuck them all in the bomb squad and expected a team of kids to pick up the slack on their own.

Also, and he's not alone in recent Villa managers here, almost without exception he didn't develop any of our promising young players. The fact the likes of Lowton, Westwood, Clark, etc have all gone on to have decent Premier League careers shows they were good enough. Lambert just didn't know what to do with them to make them better.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1388 on: March 02, 2021, 06:41:43 PM »
Lambert, ok. Not a great manager but some of the view on here towards are pretty extreme. He kept us up as the club the board / owner didn't give a f**k. He left then not long after he went down. Basically,  I don't think he was that bad in the circumstances.

Randy gave him money to sign Clint Dempsey at his peak, Lambert said "No, don't worry, you're grand. I can get by with...Westy and whichever other average fcuk we had in midfield. He ostracised Albrighton, he played sideways back-pass football to get the possession percentage up, he sounded like a complete dullard, taking Villa fans for mugs and earned millions for the privilege of being our manager. As with O'Neill, their careers post-Villa have seen the mask slip. A fucking chancer.

Online Ian.

« Reply #1389 on: March 02, 2021, 07:02:25 PM »
He bloody pulled the wool over most of our eyes. There was us thinking we had the next hot managerial prospect also armed with his working knowledge of German football. Definitely a chancer and it wouldn’t surprise me if gets another decent job.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1390 on: March 02, 2021, 07:06:15 PM »
Lambert did as he was told by the person paying his wages. You can't really blame him for that.

Also, the principle of buying young players with promise isn't inherently flawed either.

The issue with Lambert is he was all or nothing. At first we had a bunch of journeymen and players coming to the wrong end of their career, then at the drop off a hat he stuck them all in the bomb squad and expected a team of kids to pick up the slack on their own.

Also, and he's not alone in recent Villa managers here, almost without exception he didn't develop any of our promising young players. The fact the likes of Lowton, Westwood, Clark, etc have all gone on to have decent Premier League careers shows they were good enough. Lambert just didn't know what to do with them to make them better.

He went from buying young players with potential (some of which like Benteke were very successful) to complete dross like Joe Cole and Senderos.

The bomb squad idea was idiotic but that's where an experienced sporting director could have helped. Lambert's instincts were certainly correct for example that Darren Bent was finished but there's a way to managing players out of clubs and it's not putting them in a bomb squad.

He surrounded himself with utter clowns like Culverhouse and Keane too. I think most people's problem with him is the shite he came out with after he left about constraints etc when he signed a contract extension in the middle of it. He also sorted a very costly contract for Gabby near the end.

That was a truly dreadful Villa team. Just circling the relegation drain until the inevitable ending of a disinterested regime.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #1391 on: March 02, 2021, 08:10:47 PM »
I thought he was excellent - I really did.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1392 on: March 02, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »

Randy gave him money to sign Clint Dempsey at his peak, Lambert said "No, don't worry, you're grand. I can get by with...Westy and whichever other average fcuk we had in midfield. He ostracised Albrighton, he played sideways back-pass football to get the possession percentage up, he sounded like a complete dullard, taking Villa fans for mugs and earned millions for the privilege of being our manager. As with O'Neill, their careers post-Villa have seen the mask slip. A fucking chancer.

Clint Dempsey. He did sign Benteke, I know which one I'd rather have.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1393 on: March 02, 2021, 08:28:52 PM »
Lambert replaced at Ipswich by Paul Cook. Great upgrade for them.

The noses will be gutted. The Small Time Alliance posters had Cook down as their new saviour.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:32:35 PM by Damo70 »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1394 on: March 02, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »

Clint Dempsey. He did sign Benteke, I know which one I'd rather have.

It wasn't either/or as far as I remember.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal