collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211848 times)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Paul Lambert (R)
« Reply #1365 on: March 01, 2021, 04:01:52 PM »
Mcleish also ‘got’ the club and never had running verbal battles with fans. I remember TSM2 giving it large after going ahead in a game, like we had been over critical. I couldn’t understand a word he said, the scruffy twat.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1366 on: March 01, 2021, 04:15:50 PM »
Alex McLeish for all his managerial failings, was a decent man who "got", that is respected Villa.  Lambert is a self serving, wage robbing, incompetent chancer.  What you would be left with if Sherwood had a cockney by pass operation.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #1367 on: March 01, 2021, 04:24:14 PM »
https://youtu.be/rphCEiJ7cuk

I still think this is absolutely spot on

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1368 on: March 01, 2021, 07:45:48 PM »
https://youtu.be/rphCEiJ7cuk

I still think this is absolutely spot on

I started off amused as it is a great impression but then all the memories of Lambert as our manager came flooding back and got me wound up.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #1369 on: March 01, 2021, 08:27:00 PM »
FMOB! It's March 2021. We're 9th with two games in hand; the best squad we've had since O'Neill; the most gifted attacking midfielder in the country and (apparently) sensible owners! Why are you torturing yourselves? Lambert's been gone for six years - he should be a medium-to-difficult pub quiz answer by now!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1370 on: March 01, 2021, 08:31:59 PM »
FMOB? Is that like the SWMBO acronym beloved of BE ?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1371 on: March 01, 2021, 09:24:02 PM »
Because, James, they are interesting topics.  They are club history.  We are a club with a lot of history.  Why Didn't Barry Take The Penalty? and Who is the African Car Reverser? and What did Doug Ellis say to Karren Brady?  are what makes us what we are.  The fans of other massively inferior clubs ask about what TV channel their game is on..

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #1372 on: March 01, 2021, 10:55:04 PM »
Alex McLeish for all his managerial failings, was a decent man who "got", that is respected Villa.  Lambert is a self serving, wage robbing, incompetent chancer.  What you would be left with if Sherwood had a cockney by pass operation.

Totally agree - Eck never said a bad against the club and admitted he should have given it a lot more thought. He was shit for us and any sane person could foresee it and would have got us relegated but he had integrity unlike Lambert and Sherwood.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #1373 on: March 01, 2021, 11:00:07 PM »
I am amazed that Lamberk lasted as long as he did at Ipswich .I bet he did.nt see that coming and will go again

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #1374 on: March 01, 2021, 11:14:22 PM »
I wonder if Norwich fans refer to Lambert as Agent Lambert? Because having been a success with them he truly has done a spectacular hatchet job on their closest rivals.

I have a Naarwich supporting mate of 30 years. Hates him - did a great job but never ever wanted him back.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1375 on: March 01, 2021, 11:20:56 PM »

With you on every point here, Brian. Spot on.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1376 on: March 02, 2021, 08:51:31 AM »

McLeish was Lerner's first suicide attempt for the club but I never thought anything less than respect for McLeish for how he acted throughout.  Yes he was limited, but I remember stories of how he attended most youth teams games and really tried to engrain himself in the club.  Lambert and O'Leary were something else in charge of us.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1377 on: March 02, 2021, 09:12:50 AM »
McLeish wasn't a bad bloke - he just wasn't the right bloke.
At the time Lambert probably was the right bloke - but Lerner had other ideas, and didn't give Lambert enough to turn the club into what we all wanted it to be.

Never mind.

We're getting there now.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1378 on: March 02, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
I am amazed that Lamberk lasted as long as he did at Ipswich .I bet he did.nt see that coming and will go again

I didn't realise he was still there. I assumed he got the chop when they got relegated.

That said, credit where it's due, Lambert still knows how to unite the fans - picked up this from a BBC article a couple of weeks ago...

Supporter Amy Downes is a regular on the Talking Town podcast and believes fans are on the same page over the issue.

"In all the 30 years I've supported them I've never seen our fan base so united in wanting our manager to go," she told BBC Sport.

"Lambert's tenure has been a series of mistakes and a story of Ipswich fans giving him a chance. We are a nice, patient fan base - we don't jump on people's backs, it takes a while for us to turn."

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1379 on: March 02, 2021, 09:35:40 AM »
I always had a soft spot for Alex McLeish ever since he was part of the Abderdeen squad that stayed here in Dawlish for a pre-season. They were a great bunch, really friendly. Jim Bett, Willer Miller, Jim Leighton, Dave Dodds. Ian Porterfield had just taken over from Ferguson and was a real gent. At the time Dawlish Town managed to get decent teams coming down for pre-season. They would play here as well as Torquay and Exeter City. Aberdeen though really made the most of our Football Club, staying behind using the facilities and getting to know everyone here.
My mom washed their kit for them between matches and gave them lifts from the hotel to town, or to our club. As a 12 year old mad on football it was fantastic. When they played Exeter, Jim Bett was injured and in the stands, he shouted over to my mom and gave her a wave. It was really ace!

McLeish was a great bloke, I just wish he was not given the job here. He was completely the wrong choice of football brain for us and nothing to do with managing that lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal