collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211823 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Paul Lambert (R)
« Reply #1290 on: April 14, 2019, 09:01:54 AM »
Consecutive Years in division before TSM mk2 appointed
Yes danno. Ended Stokes’ 10 year stay in PL and Ipswich’s 17 years in the Championship.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1291 on: April 14, 2019, 09:11:39 AM »
the charlatans of charlatans.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1292 on: April 14, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »
The thing that gets forgotten about Lambert is that when he was here, after his first (unimpressive) year, he retained huge levels of support from our fans. There was a huge amount of patience for what he was trying to do.

I think the mistake he made was becoming a poster boy for the austere times Lerner was inflicting on us. Once he made that change it was like he accepted and defended mediocrity, on the basis that he could get away with it.

In the 40 plus years I've been watching us, I've seen some pretty fucking depressing things at villa park but nothing, not even McNeill or McLeish tops the sheet austere grimness of looking at our bench and seeing Lambert and Roy Keane sat there, grim faced with matching unkempt beards, looking like a pair of piss soaked tramps thinking about chucking themselves under a bus to make it all end.

Lambert had all that goodwill and he threw it away.

Is this the image you're referring to, Paulie?

Yes

God, how depressing.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1293 on: April 14, 2019, 01:06:47 PM »
You are correct Paulie.  His defining mistake was to cap doff to Randy Lerner and grovel his way to survival.  He failed.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1294 on: April 14, 2019, 01:20:45 PM »
Apologies.  Double post.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1295 on: April 14, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »
I was one of the very last to turn on him. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #1296 on: April 14, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »

And me. I was with him right up to that Hull game. I was done after that and, luckily, so was the board.

Offline danno

« Reply #1297 on: April 14, 2019, 03:12:12 PM »
Signing players that we can develop and improve isn't a bad idea in itself. Westwood Bacuna Lawton Bennett are all (just about) still in the premier league.

The problem was we didn't supplement them with really good senior pros and some simply weren't ready. I had another look at some of our transfer windows, its not pretty.

One for the forgot he played for us thread, but I didn't know he'd signed Simon Dawkins for Ipswich. They must have the same agent or something.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #1298 on: April 15, 2019, 02:28:10 PM »
Well done Mr Mumbles on getting Ipswich relegated .Am listening to a Ipswich fan on Talksport  who blames him for getting them relegated Has been in charge for 28 games and won just 3 That is relegation form in any league .

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1299 on: April 15, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »
Signing players that we can develop and improve isn't a bad idea in itself. Westwood Bacuna Lawton Bennett are all (just about) still in the premier league.

The problem was we didn't supplement them with really good senior pros and some simply weren't ready. I had another look at some of our transfer windows, its not pretty.

One for the forgot he played for us thread, but I didn't know he'd signed Simon Dawkins for Ipswich. They must have the same agent or something.

Is that the same Dawkins who appears in the media and reckons there isn't a God? It was during Lambert's reign at Villa that I became convinced there wasn't a God either.

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #1300 on: April 15, 2019, 10:57:08 PM »

Is that the same Dawkins who appears in the media and reckons there isn't a God? It was during Lambert's reign at Villa that I became convinced there wasn't a God either.

Nope, here he is, up in heaven, looking benevolently upon us from above:

His son Brian walks on water.

Offline CpF

« Reply #1301 on: April 15, 2019, 11:06:55 PM »

And me. I was with him right up to that Hull game. I was done after that and, luckily, so was the board.

Same here. I admit I thought he was a better manager than his subsequent career suggests. On the other hand I'm not sure that having the fans on his back was helpful in any way - the real problem was RL pulling the plug on Villa to fund his divorce. If not for that we'd have had a better manager than Lambert in the first place, as well as a far better squad.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1302 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »

Same here. I admit I thought he was a better manager than his subsequent career suggests . On the other hand I'm not sure that having the fans on his back was helpful in any way - the real problem was RL pulling the plug on Villa to fund his divorce. If not for that we'd have had a better manager than Lambert in the first place, as well as a far better squad.

Me too. To be fair though, the damage he did to his reputation with us ensured that he was only ever going to get impossible jobs (I don't know whether Wolves was pre or post the arrival of the money) unless he went back to the third tier and repeated what he did with Norwich, which was a fine achievement by him and them.

Thank fuck for Dean Smith, is my conclusion.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1303 on: April 15, 2019, 11:25:15 PM »
I have already listed his career in detail on H&V in the past. Basically apart from Norwich he has been a failure everywhere else.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1304 on: April 15, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
I have already listed his career in detail on H&V in the past. Basically apart from Norwich he has been a failure everywhere else.

I get that, but if you're only going to have one success then consecutive promotions followed by a mid-table PL finish is a good one to pick!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal