collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211965 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Paul Lambert gets another P45.
« Reply #1230 on: February 12, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
At the time we got him Martinez and Rodgers were available and we all thought we got the best one........oh how we laughed.

I remember at the time I very much wanted Rodgers. I wasn't massively keen on Lambert but I did however prefer him to Martinez at the time.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1231 on: February 12, 2019, 05:56:44 PM »
At the time we got him Martinez and Rodgers were available and we all thought we got the best one........oh how we laughed.

I remember at the time I very much wanted Rodgers. I wasn't massively keen on Lambert but I did however prefer him to Martinez at the time.

I still think it was a decent enough appointment at the time.  He stock was pretty high at the time and he was a young, up and coming manager.  He started off badly though and things took a real turn for the worse over the Christmas period and into the new year.  We did pick up at the end of that season though and ended quite strongly, culminating in that demolition of Sunderland. 

We started the next season well, winning at Arsenal and running Chelsea very close at Stamford Bridge.  It couldn't be maintained though and we were a shambles by the end of that season both on and off the pitch (his backroom team, Karsa and Culverhouse, being sacked for their behaviour) and he should have gone then.  I still believe the decision to keep him on that summer inflicted real damage on the club.

In short, seemed like a decent enough choice at the time and did OK in short patches, but was kept on far too long when it was obvious he was out of his depth.         

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1232 on: February 12, 2019, 06:40:39 PM »

Rodgers had gone to Liverpool.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Paul Lambert (currently ensuring Ipswich get relegated)
« Reply #1233 on: February 12, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »
According to my dad who supports Colchester Lambert still has the highest win percentage in their history even though he didn't last very long. They hate him for leaving for Norwich.
We hate him for leaving Norwich

Applauds. Very good.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1234 on: February 12, 2019, 07:22:50 PM »
Theres been a few posts on social media regarding the incident at Norwich, interested in the opinions of the Ipswich fans regarding Lambert I decided to delve into the comments. Very surprised to see the majority are buying into them being excellent and unlucky. They seem to like him.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1235 on: February 12, 2019, 08:11:52 PM »

I still think it was a decent enough appointment at the time.  He stock was pretty high at the time and he was a young, up and coming manager.  He started off badly though and things took a real turn for the worse over the Christmas period and into the new year.  We did pick up at the end of that season though and ended quite strongly, culminating in that demolition of Sunderland. 

We started the next season well, winning at Arsenal and running Chelsea very close at Stamford Bridge.  It couldn't be maintained though and we were a shambles by the end of that season both on and off the pitch (his backroom team, Karsa and Culverhouse, being sacked for their behaviour) and he should have gone then.  I still believe the decision to keep him on that summer inflicted real damage on the club.

In short, seemed like a decent enough choice at the time and did OK in short patches, but was kept on far too long when it was obvious he was out of his depth.       

Whilst Lambert wasn't my first choice at the time he did seem a decent choice after back to back promotions with Norwich and then stabilizing them fairly comfortably in his one Premier League season with them.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1236 on: February 12, 2019, 08:14:02 PM »
I spoke at length with a Norwich fan shortly after he was appointed. The general view was that he was an excellent manager, would do really well for us and the majority of his Norwich supporting friends were gutted he was leaving.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1237 on: February 12, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »

Rodgers had gone to Liverpool.

Rodgers went to Liverpool just three days before we appointed Lambert. So whether or not we did so we would certainly have had an opportunity to speak him before then. Although obviously if he was already aware Liverpool wanted him, which he probably was we wouldn't have got him anyway.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1238 on: February 12, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »
I spoke at length with a Norwich fan shortly after he was appointed. The general view was that he was an excellent manager, would do really well for us and the majority of his Norwich supporting friends were gutted he was leaving.

Yes, Lee.
He was well regarded at the time by most analysts and there were times when many of us thought he would move the club forward, but it was not to be.
In the end, by his own admission, he was presiding over a deleveraging operation at the behest of Randy Lerner and mumbling incessant gobbledygook, to our justified chagrin.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #1239 on: March 09, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »
Paul's thoughts on his team today against Baggies, according to bbc sport page: I thought the whole team was excellent.

Well there's a surprise!

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1240 on: March 09, 2019, 08:40:47 PM »

Yes, Lee.
He was well regarded at the time by most analysts and there were times when many of us thought he would move the club forward, but it was not to be.
In the end, by his own admission, he was presiding over a deleveraging operation at the behest of Randy Lerner and mumbling incessant gobbledygook, to our justified chagrin.
He doesn't  deserve some of the shit he gets on here IMO.  Manager over a awful ownership, did the best he did but nowhere near good enough. It happens

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1241 on: March 09, 2019, 08:42:16 PM »
Paul's thoughts on his team today against Baggies, according to bbc sport page: I thought the whole team was excellent.

Well there's a surprise!

He's probably right for once. 20 odd shots and battered them according to my Baggies mate.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1242 on: March 09, 2019, 09:11:22 PM »

Well there's a surprise!

He's probably right for once. 20 odd shots and battered them according to my Baggies mate.

funny thing is if you're an Ipswich fan, hadn't heard the score this afternoon, only his post match comments you'd be convinced the score was 5-0 to Albion.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1243 on: March 09, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »
It says a lot when failing to beat a Paul Lambert team is grounds for dismissal!

Offline LowerNorthStand

« Reply #1244 on: March 09, 2019, 09:26:22 PM »
I quite liked Lambert  :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal