collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 211940 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Paul Lambert gets a new job.
« Reply #795 on: May 09, 2018, 01:21:25 PM »

Based on the job he did at Norwich he was highly rated and rightly so concerning what he did there. My concern was the bang average to poor jobs he had done everywhere else he had been at before Norwich. And that has continued ever since Norwich.

I've said it before, he was incredibly fortunate to inherit Grant Holt, who as a goalscorer was too good for League 1 and the Championship.  If you take almost any side and stick a top class (for the relevant level) in it, it will make the rest of the side and the manager look better.  Look at Brendan Rodgers with Suarez.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #796 on: May 09, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
Lambert rode in at the point of TSM leaving following on from the most boring, defensive load of shite I had ever witnessed.
After McCleish anyone with a little bit of previous momentum would have been good.

You know a punch in the head is better than a kick in the balls etc.
I know Lerners money dried up but I lost patience with him when he just kept telling us how good we were when we all knew we were shit

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #797 on: May 09, 2018, 01:32:12 PM »
If you take almost any side and stick a top class (for the relevant level) in it, it will make the rest of the side and the manager look better.  Look at Brendan Rodgers with Suarez.

yep - and it was only Benteke that stopped us from being relegated much sooner

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #798 on: May 09, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Watching his antics on Saturday on TV, with him track-suited up waving his arms around like a plane propeller taking occasional sips of water, pointing at nothing in particular - all the actions of someone uncomfortable in what they were doing trying to convince us otherwise. He's Stoke's problem now but won't be for much longer I'm sure.

Reminds me of this......

At least Sherwood had the decency to wear a suit.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #799 on: May 09, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
I lost patience with him when he just kept telling us how good we were when we all knew we were shit

When he delivered his post-match lies every week, exactly who were his intended audience?

Couldn't have been us, we'd just witnessed the drivel first hand.

The team, perhaps trying to shield them? Well, I like to think that even he communicated personally with the players, and wasn't relying on them watching MOTD in order to get his message across.

The media? They're in the same position we are, they've just seen the bollocks. They should have called him out on it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #800 on: May 09, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
Great image from Stoke on Saturday

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/07/paul-lambert-stoke-manager-future-contract-clause#img-1

Remember the 8-0 at Chelsea, mate? I'll never forgive him for that. He should have been fired the next day.

Should MON have been fired for the 7-1 defeat there with a much better side?

Hindsight is great but at the time it was our first defeat in 7, we'd just smashed Liverpool at Anfield, and were in a cup semi final with a near bye to the final.

But the big picture is that the Chelsea defeat under MON came in a run of three consecutive top six finishes. Under Lambert we finished 15th twice and were 18th when he was sacked. So the contexts of the Chelsea defeats under each manager were totally different.

None of those Lambert finishes had happened yet so that's hindsight. The context is what I said as that was the only info we had at the time.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #801 on: May 09, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »
Lambert is or has been the latest 'fashion manager'.  By that I mean he is or rather was the latest new thing. A successful playing career with Celtic and then with Dortmund which resulted in the big cup.  Obviously with this playing experience he learnt a thing or two at what was the latest 'fashion club' - Dortmund and the Dortmund way of playing.  As a manager he would bring some of that style combined with his own experience to any managerial role.  We know this because he mumbled it so. We were all sucked in by it because of his middling success at Norwich.  "If he can do that with them just think what he could do for us with a bit of cash"? That's what we thought and that's what Lerner thought. The club would now be in safe hands at last.  Lerner wouldn't need to attend games to see what was actually going on because he had a trusted steed who would report back that we were often "brilliant"/"excellent" even "outstanding" despite the results and the many humiliations.  We muddled on he mumbled on meaning we probably muddled that bit more. 

Watching his antics on Saturday on TV, with him track-suited up waving his arms around like a plane propeller taking occasional sips of water, pointing at nothing in particular - all the actions of someone uncomfortable in what they were doing trying to convince us otherwise. He's Stoke's problem now but won't be for much longer I'm sure.

He was a fashionable manager at the time of his appointment and had done very well at Norwich getting back-to-back promotions and a solid season in the top flight.  On that basis, I don't think his appointment was a bad one, but he soon got found out and should have gone far sooner than he did.

Based on the job he did at Norwich he was highly rated and rightly so concerning what he did there. My concern was the bang average to poor jobs he had done everywhere else he had been at before Norwich. And that has continued ever since Norwich.

Together with Roberto Martinez and Brendan Rogers Paul Lambert was meant to be the new "Golden Generation" of managers.

As regards the jobs Paul Lambert had done elsewhere was he not very good in the post he had before Norwich?

Immediately before Norwich he had a season with Colchester. They finished in mid table. Before that he was at Wycombe where he qualified for the league two play offs but lost out on promotion. Before that he managed Livingston and won just two league games in his eight months there.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #802 on: May 09, 2018, 04:01:13 PM »
What's the big attraction with our last manager but three?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #803 on: May 09, 2018, 04:24:15 PM »
I suppose he's become the most recent measurement stick for managerial utter shitness and that we're mainly being proved correct in our assumptions after his latest efforts. Also, it's fairly obvious that those humiliations are still with us like some sort of PTSD for those that witnessed them so it's probably some form of therapy to remind ourselves.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #804 on: May 09, 2018, 08:44:50 PM »
Lambert is or has been the latest 'fashion manager'.  By that I mean he is or rather was the latest new thing. A successful playing career with Celtic and then with Dortmund which resulted in the big cup.  Obviously with this playing experience he learnt a thing or two at what was the latest 'fashion club' - Dortmund and the Dortmund way of playing.  As a manager he would bring some of that style combined with his own experience to any managerial role.  We know this because he mumbled it so. We were all sucked in by it because of his middling success at Norwich.  "If he can do that with them just think what he could do for us with a bit of cash"? That's what we thought and that's what Lerner thought. The club would now be in safe hands at last.  Lerner wouldn't need to attend games to see what was actually going on because he had a trusted steed who would report back that we were often "brilliant"/"excellent" even "outstanding" despite the results and the many humiliations.  We muddled on he mumbled on meaning we probably muddled that bit more. 

He was a fashionable manager at the time of his appointment and had done very well at Norwich getting back-to-back promotions and a solid season in the top flight.  On that basis, I don't think his appointment was a bad one, but he soon got found out and should have gone far sooner than he did.

Together with Roberto Martinez and Brendan Rogers Paul Lambert was meant to be the new "Golden Generation" of managers.

As regards the jobs Paul Lambert had done elsewhere was he not very good in the post he had before Norwich?

He did o.k at Wycombe, got them in the play offs. Other jobs were in Scottish lower leagues.

I was in two minds over his appointment. A bit worried as even though Norwich were exciting to watch they couldn't defend at all in their first season up (as anyone could see with the goals they conceded at VP when we beat them 3-2). However after a year of McLeish I just want to see some decent football again.

I was also a little worried we were going to be his second season in the premier league. How often have we seen managers come up with teams, surprise everyone first year up and then they get found out in the second season when opponents wise up.

I imagine at the back of his mind he probably thought that would happen at Norwich given how they overachieved so couldn't wait to jump ship to us.

I'd have prefered Brendan Rodgers but Liverpool snapped him up pretty quickly that summer so wasn't an option. Weren't we heavily linked to Solskjaer that summer?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #805 on: May 09, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »
Yep, Randy sent a plane for him. I remember Dave W being pretty disappointed on here when it fell through - I think we all wanted someone young and a bit different after Big 'eck.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #806 on: May 09, 2018, 10:20:28 PM »
What's the big attraction with our last manager but three?

For me personally I can't stand him. Those awful scoreless and winless runs under him, and there were several, were utterly soul destroying. He may have gone by the time of the relegation year but he'd most definitely sown the seeds of it.

Only other former manager I have such antipathy towards is DO'L and I would welcome any thread on his current professional shortcomings if he hadn't been unemployed for a decade.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #807 on: May 09, 2018, 11:15:55 PM »
The phone will be ringing for Paul Lambert, don't worry.

Hopefully those annoying PPC/ car accident calls non stop for the next 30 years.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #808 on: May 10, 2018, 04:07:19 AM »
I guess it's an unpopular opinion now, but I don't agree that he should've gone after that December where we lost 8-0, 4-0 and 3-0, without having the benefit of hindsight. We hired him to do a rebuilding job on a budget, and there were legitimate signs of progress (most notably with the win at Anfield and the cup run) - certainly not enough to rip it up and start again because of a few particularly shit results.

I don't remember ever feeling like we were in danger of relegation in his second season, but it became much more apparent that he wasn't taking us anywhere by the end of 2013, which was when we should've started thinking about moving on; even more so by the end of that season, with the Culverhouse and Karsa business and the terrible form to end the season.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #809 on: May 10, 2018, 06:46:53 AM »
We won one game from beating Chelsea in mid March that season. Drew one and lost 7. He was getting dogs abuse at Spurs on the final day and should have been sacked.

Quarter of a season and 4 points, utterly inept.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal