collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert (R)  (Read 212012 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Paul Lambert gets a new job.
« Reply #735 on: May 07, 2018, 01:07:58 AM »
Not sure really. I mean if you're buying a premiership midfielder do you really invest 2m in Westwood at 22? Did Lambert think he was a premiership midfielder at 22? or was that the budget? Even in 2012, 2m for a premiership quality midfielder was optimistic to say the least. And look at the rest of his signings. Apart from Benteke there was a lot of cheapo signings or hit and hopes.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #736 on: May 07, 2018, 04:37:11 AM »
Lambert had money to spend, the squad he inherited wasn’t poor. But Benteke aside what he spent he spent appallingly. Remember that Summer when he signed a ton of cheap players from Europe, El Ahemidi (sic), Tonev, Luna, Holman etc etc, just utter shit. He fucked us completely.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #737 on: May 07, 2018, 04:51:21 AM »
McLeish signed Holman.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #738 on: May 07, 2018, 06:06:03 AM »
Lambert had money to spend, the squad he inherited wasn’t poor. But Benteke aside what he spent he spent appallingly. Remember that Summer when he signed a ton of cheap players from Europe, El Ahemidi (sic), Tonev, Luna, Holman etc etc, just utter shit. He fucked us completely.

Nah, the squad he inherited was pretty shit. We had Dad's Army for a back 4, Stan had to retire, Bent was coming off a serious injury (which he never recovered from), Gabby and N'Zogbia were wasters even back then. Delph, Bannan, Gardner, Andi and Albrighton were all reasonably promising players but nothing that special.

I think his non-Benteke business in the first summer wasn't actually too bad, but he never worked out how to develop them properly (just look at Lowton - didn't look up to standard most of his time here, but he's become a perfectly competent starter for a team that's got European football next season). Second summer was a waste of time though - he got unlucky with Okore and Kozak picking up serious injuries, but relying on Gabby and Andi instead of buying someone actually good to play off Benteke was extremely poor.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #739 on: May 07, 2018, 06:51:22 AM »
Kozak and Okore were both  poor players who never got any better, injuries or not, and as for that other striker from Denmark - I've seen better players on my village green.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #740 on: May 07, 2018, 07:50:57 AM »
He's fucking clueless but it will be another couple of seasons before the experts see the glaringly obvious. He should have been sacked in 2014 close season

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #741 on: May 07, 2018, 09:32:32 AM »
Kozak signing was fucking rubbish. If we had limited money then spunking all of it on someone with a shit record outside of 1 europa league campaign was ridiculous.

Lamberts signings were nearly all attrocious.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #742 on: May 07, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
If I was a Stoke fan, I would be very worried about next season. Lambert's CV rides on successive promotions with Norwich. The rest of his managerial career has been dog shit, somehow managing to last 3 years at Villa, before royally fucking up Blackburn, Wolves and now Stoke.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:59:29 PM by Pete3206 »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #743 on: May 07, 2018, 11:12:31 AM »
I don't actively dislike many people. but Lambert's one of them. How can anyone be so utterly useless and  become a multi millionaire?

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #744 on: May 07, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
Kozak signing was fucking rubbish. If we had limited money then spunking all of it on someone with a shit record outside of 1 europa league campaign was ridiculous.

Lamberts signings were nearly all attrocious.

agree

I see he has had 3 wins in 35 games

how does he get a job?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #745 on: May 07, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
Many people in the press and I'd imagine wider football world actually thought he did well here given we actually got worse in the seasons after he left.

We know different of course but would expect Stoke just looked at him keeping us up for two seasons and thinking that would be enough.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #746 on: May 07, 2018, 12:04:11 PM »
He bought those shit players, he went along with and hid behind the no transfer money myth.
If he knew what he was doing he would have insisted on a different transfer policy, he would not threaten to resign, he would have done.Then his “we were excelllent, ay culdne ask fu more press” bolox he trotted out after every game which was tantamount to holding those who had watched a different match in contempt.
If Lerner was the architect of our demise Lambert was the Chief Engineer.
A shyster and a charlatan. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #747 on: May 07, 2018, 12:36:16 PM »
He'd never bought a big name player before so he knew that one of the reasons we had poached him was to replicate the success of getting the best out of modest resources. Even then, our wage bill was something like 8th highest in the league yet he couldn't get a tune out of most of our high profile players cf. the bomb squad of N'Zogbia, Ireland, Hutton, Bent etc. He let Albrighton leave for free and the likes of Sinclair, Cleverley, Zog and Grealish only showed some form once he was binned and Sherwood came in.
Out of his depth at managing big players, I think his ceiling was reached at Norwich. A bit like O'Neill, does the plucky underdog thing ok with functional football but comes unstuck when a more front-foot, possession-based approach is required.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #748 on: May 07, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »
Eamonn, that is absolutely bang on the nose. Top post.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #749 on: May 07, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
Along with Graham Turner the worst Villa manager I have known. You could add McNeill and Garde but they both took on a poisoned chalice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal