collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by TaxDodger
[Today at 10:39:55 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by AV84
[Today at 10:32:01 AM]

Champions League Contention by Dave P
[Today at 10:31:00 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Drummond
[Today at 10:29:27 AM]

Robin Olsen by Goldenballs
[Today at 10:28:09 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Ads
[Today at 10:04:48 AM]

Ollie Watkins by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:42:08 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation and rebuilding  (Read 15056 times)

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
Re: Relegation and rebuilding
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
I had an interesting conversation yesterday morning with a long term Man City-supporting friend.  He made the point that when City were spiralling down to the third tier, for the two seasons in what was then Division 1 they tried to play football with "Premiership" players and were routinely beaten.  It wasn't until Joe Royle pitched up. albeit too late to avoid the relegation to Division 2, that they started to get in the ugly fuckers like Andy Morrison necessary to turn things round at that level.   They then had to face up to the same problem, but in reverse - two back-to-back promotions and a squad not really ready for the return to the top level.  They didn't really do it and once the momentum had run out they were relegated again at the end of the second season.

So what is needed at the Villa is the planning to start now as to who to get in to do a job at the level we'll be playing at next season - but with a longer term plan as to who to bring in and integrate ready to do what is necessary should we return quickly to the Premier League.   Based on what has gone on over the last few years, I won't hold by breath. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:12:40 PM by TopDeck113 »

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
who mentioned Pearson? Although he'd be a better bet, I reckon. And if you're looking at his record, you have to compare it with Garde's. I also reckon Garde was cheap - if Lerner paid top dollar for him he must be even madder than I thought.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:14:35 PM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline curlytailavfc

• www.friendsofakitas.co.uk
  • GM : 26.02.2019
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 12:21:55 PM »
we will prob go down again unless you buy players who kick the feck out of other players

Online ez

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »
Harry Redknapp anyone? Yes he's had his relegations but he's had promotions too. Very experienced and higher profile. Doesn't strike me as anyone's yes man.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »
I'd get a manager with a record for scrapping his way out of the Championship. No time for cheap experiments, we need to muscle our way out in the first season before we become as institutionally shit In the 2nd division as we gave been for the last 5 years in the Prem. I'd hate us to be as accepting of the kind of rubbish we have had to endure recently.

I hope these terms are being used to define character, not style of play. From what I can tell of recent, promotion and staying up is attained through pacy football and scoring plenty of goals.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
I'd get a manager with a record for scrapping his way out of the Championship. No time for cheap experiments, we need to muscle our way out in the first season before we become as institutionally shit In the 2nd division as we gave been for the last 5 years in the Prem. I'd hate us to be as accepting of the kind of rubbish we have had to endure recently.

I hope these terms are being used to define character, not style of play. From what I can tell of recent, promotion and staying up is attained through pacy football and scoring plenty of goals.
All of the newly promoted teams have got more scrap and muscle about them than our bunch of jogging lightweights

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »

All of the newly promoted teams have got more scrap and muscle about them than our bunch of jogging lightweights

My granddaughters play group have more fight than our lot.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »
Can you imagine a clown like Bacuna rocking up at Rotherham with his ridiculous headphones and couldn't care less swagger?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »
only too easily at the moment I'm afraid.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2016, 12:45:55 PM »
I had an interesting conversation yesterday morning with a long term Man City-supporting friend.  He made the point that when City were spiralling down to the third tier, for the two seasons in what was then Division 1 they tried to play football with "Premiership" players and were routinely beaten.  It wasn't until Joe Royle pitched up. albeit too late to avoid the relegation to Division 2, that they started to get in the ugly fuckers like Andy Morrison necessary to turn things round at that level.   They then had to face up to the same problem, but in reverse - two back-to-back promotions and a squad not really ready for the return to the top level.  They didn't really do it and once the momentum had run out they were relegated again at the end of the second season.

So what is needed at the Villa is the planning to start now as to who to get in to do a job at the level we'll be playing at next season - but with a longer term plan as to who to bring in and integrate ready to do what is necessary should we return quickly to the Premier League.   Based on what has gone on over the last few years, I won't hold by breath. 

The Man City experience looks like one we must very much avoid but seems all to likely - as I said on another thread plan now!!!!

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2016, 12:51:52 PM »

as I said on another thread plan now!!!!

You are right too. This is the only positive in our plight - we can get the recriminations out the way early.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
Won't be easy, anybody who thinks we're going to come storming back because we're Aston Villa is in for a rude awakening, I can honestly see us being there for several seasons with this set-up, to change it sufficiently will take top-dollar - and we currently don't have it, if the new buyers aren't sufficiently committed enough then the only way is down.

Offline Le Lapin

• GM : 14.10.2022
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
We are looking like a club that employs the worst type of footballer.  The type that has no emotional connection to the club they are with,  they have no passion for its wellbeing.  Just as long as they get their extortionate wages they are happy,  the money keeps them insulated from real life. The crest on their shirt means nothing to them, the club is a vessel to give them the means to maintain ridiculous lifestyles that we can only dream of. They have footballing talent that most of is would die for, but they don't care, their god given talent is a money maker and that is all. They just do the bare minimum with this talent to keep the money flowing in until they can get another club to prop their lifestyle. We have too many of these guys at the club that have nothing other than money to believe in.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 01:13:53 PM »
Depends on who's in charge. The problem with us is we're too nice and I'm afraid I don't have faith in Garde to tackle a Championship campaign. I get that he's a bright, intelligent man who knows a bit about football, but the lower division is a mean, nasty, bear pit of an environment. When we went down in the 80's, SGT was brought in and he was an absolute bastard. That's what will be required.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 01:21:27 PM »
Can you imagine a clown like Bacuna rocking up at Rotherham with his ridiculous headphones and couldn't care less swagger?

Yes. Yes I can.  :(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal