collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 01:47:35 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:44:57 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:31:49 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:10:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 01:10:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 01:47:35 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:46:51 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by SaddVillan
[Today at 01:44:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 01:42:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 01:37:11 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:36:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:36:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 70s revisited.  (Read 13696 times)

Offline DeKuip

Re: 70s revisited.
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 12:05:23 AM »
Some interesting match reports of the 1977 League Cup semi against QPR.  (Link to QPR fan site):

http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/35205/years-league-semi-final-defeat?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As it's before my Villa supporting time, it's interesting to read what the press thought of Villa back then and to learn of the numbers of supporters down at Highbury (many more than QPR, it would seem).

One of my favourite nights as a Villa fan. We had 10,000 at Loftus Road for the goalless first leg (despite twice being postponed on the day of the game), I got locked out of the Holte for the second leg and we ran round to the Witton End and went in with the QPR fans. 2-2 and off to Highbury a week later for the replay where the must have been over 20,000 of us down there. Clock End was packed and the sides had loads of Villa in. Brilliant performance and atmosphere. It's where the chant "Wemberlee, Wemberlee, oh we're all pissed up and we're going to Wembley" started. What a season that was.
Here's the goals.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 12:07:58 AM by DeKuip »

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 08:10:20 AM »
Some interesting match reports of the 1977 League Cup semi against QPR.  (Link to QPR fan site):

http://qprreport.proboards.com/thread/35205/years-league-semi-final-defeat?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

As it's before my Villa supporting time, it's interesting to read what the press thought of Villa back then and to learn of the numbers of supporters down at Highbury (many more than QPR, it would seem).

One of my favourite nights as a Villa fan. We had 10,000 at Loftus Road for the goalless first leg (despite twice being postponed on the day of the game), I got locked out of the Holte for the second leg and we ran round to the Witton End and went in with the QPR fans. 2-2 and off to Highbury a week later for the replay where the must have been over 20,000 of us down there. Clock End was packed and the sides had loads of Villa in. Brilliant performance and atmosphere. It's where the chant "Wemberlee, Wemberlee, oh we're all pissed up and we're going to Wembley" started. What a season that was.
Here's the goals.

That whole Cup run was fantastic during a brilliant season - I have written about the Highbury replay a couple of times on here so suffice to say - bread pudding/busking/generous Villa fans/wet paint

Offline conman

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »

Here's the goals.

i remember the first QPR semi away that was called off , only found out in the hole in the wall at lunchtime
ended up going the pictures with the steamers to see the enforcer with clint eastwood at the futurist

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 08:54:59 PM »

The Wemberlee  Wemberlee  oh we're all pissed up and we're going to Wemberlee started  at the FA Cup home game v West Ham.  I remember singing  it  on the tube to Loftus  Road for the first leg. 

Here's the goals.

i remember the first QPR semi away that was called off , only found out in the hole in the wall at lunchtime
ended up going the pictures with the steamers to see the enforcer with clint eastwood at the futurist

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 09:08:20 PM »
No one has mentioned the massive support at St Andrews  for the first away Blues v Villa  (we lost 3-2) filled the Tilton and the railway end.

The fall out with John Bond and Norwich - he stated that Norwich were potentially a bigger team than  Villa before the 75 cup final.  Cannery killer Aston Villa.

Chris Nicholl a man mountain.  And don't forget 110% Saunders. 

The promotions. 

Balloons I still think it began at Southampton in the cup.

Skinhead Neil don't think he ever  missed home or away.

Hole  in the Wall / Aston Tavern.

Easter Monday away at Leeds not  for the faint hearted (and Middlesborough)

Old Trafford 2nd replay.  Winning at Anfield the first  time they had lost for 2 years at  home.  It was Bonfire night and it was definitely bangers rather  than sparklers to and from the  ground.

The Holte End. 

Not changing  our kit every year.

Special buses from Corporation Street.

We will get those feelings  back believe me.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 01:37:27 AM »
No one has mentioned the massive support at St Andrews  for the first away Blues v Villa  (we lost 3-2) filled the Tilton and the railway end.

The fall out with John Bond and Norwich - he stated that Norwich were potentially a bigger team than  Villa before the 75 cup final.  Cannery killer Aston Villa.

The promotions. 

Old Trafford 2nd replay.  Winning at Anfield the first  time they had lost for 2 years at  home.  It was Bonfire night and it was definitely bangers rather  than sparklers to and from the  ground.

The Holte End. 

I used to go the Hole In The Wall quite a lot. In relation to the Villa however, I have much fonder memories of the Tavern In The Town and The Cabin.

The Cabin was opposite the Bus Special departure point.  Rum and something or other, my mind has blotted it out, was the the preferred tipple for Townies.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2015, 11:44:14 AM »

Here's the goals.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »
After today Wembley 75 - John Bond spouting off and having to eat his words. 

Cannery killer Aston Villa.

Offline conman

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015, 09:33:21 PM »

The promotions. 

The Holte End. 

I used to go the Hole In The Wall quite a lot. In relation to the Villa however, I have much fonder memories of the Tavern In The Town and The Cabin.

The Cabin was opposite the Bus Special departure point.  Rum and something or other, my mind has blotted it out, was the the preferred tipple for Townies.

rum and black ?

Offline conman

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015, 09:34:25 PM »
in those days my bird drank red devils
pernod , blackcurrant and cider in a half pint glass

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2015, 10:26:46 PM »
Southern Comfort and Lemo

Offline conman

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2015, 10:55:25 PM »
barley wine , micky mouse , brown and mild , skol , ansells bitter , pubs with an outdoor , pubs with a bar and a lounge , 2p a record in the jukebox , ten number 6 , 20 benson , 2 or 3 pints just before last orders at half 2 , getting your ticket and barred for life , staying blind at 3 card brag , playing that french sliding things game in the costas , downsairs in the hole in the wall , clive the gaffer at the red lion, upstairs tartan lounge at the windsor , dublin bar downsairs at the windsor , mr bills and mr sams , beer kellar and bogarts , rum runner and barberellas , cedar club and sloopys,

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2015, 12:54:47 AM »

A friend of mine used to drink that but she called it a red witch. When she threw up on it - which was quite often - it looked like she was vomiting blood.

Offline conman

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 04:54:54 PM »

A friend of mine used to drink that but she called it a red witch. When she threw up on it - which was quite often - it looked like she was vomiting blood.

well i guess it was a shag at the end of the day

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 10:33:27 PM »
Yes, it was rum and black, conman. Even the thought of it is ghastly now.

Later on, I recall a scotch and dry period. Something about Canadian Club.

We won't go into a later student period where you could get pissed up in The Greyhound at Lea Bank on 4 pints of scrumpy cider for 50 pence.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal