collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

FFP by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:18:29 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:17:17 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 05:24:21 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 05:23:50 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The underlying problem...  (Read 25737 times)

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: The underlying problem...
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »
Bad bad decisions by Lerner and Co post O'Neill leaving. Change of direction without clarity of how to go about it in a safe way. It started with  unfortunate appointment if Houllier. McLeish followed in what was a  tepid appointment  to do nothing other than not to relegate us. The change of direction to young and hungry and Lambert's appointment was good and if we are honest most of us bought into that. The problem was young and hungry was implemented with very very poor cheap players. Later we found out about Lambert's inadequacy however management took too long in pulling the trigger.  Next we appointed an unknown tactically naive motivator and giving him nearly £60 million to sign a new team in another error. We did not need to bring in 14 new players. We needed 4 circa £15m players. So now we have a new squad of average players lead by a sound bite  Press lovey footballing village idiot. Time in now to get in a real coach otherwise we will be looking to appoint another motivator for the last ten games of the season and going down into the second division.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:25:39 AM by olaftab »

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
But surely we as fans need to do more than moan on forums.

Consider our home record over the last 5 seasons. I'm seriously surprised we still get the crowds we do. That fickle line couldn't have been further from the truth IMO.

If anything, we haven't complained loudly enough.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
One thing Sherwood has been right about is that we have/had a losing mentality on the playing staff, so I think h was right to adopt the 'new broom' approach. It's just that he hasn't yet seemed to fix it.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »
The club has the same stink about it that it had in the late 60s early 70s before we began our disastrous plunge.

I hope am wrong but the warning signs are all there.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2015, 10:28:37 AM »
But surely we as fans need to do more than moan on forums.
What? Other than turn up and support which we do! Unless you mean lay a siege at BMH?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2015, 10:35:28 AM »
The club has the same stink about it that it had in the late 60s early 70s before we began our disastrous plunge.

I hope am wrong but the warning signs are all there.

There's some over the top comments on here today but that one's the best so far.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2015, 10:36:58 AM »
its sometimes very hard to put into words what your head and heart are saying.
many of us on here remember the halcyon days of the late seventies and early eighties
but try to forget the early seventies and late eighties.
what got us from the 3rd to the 1st? the 2nd back to the 1st?
I don't know the answer,does anybody?
So many questions but no definitive answers.
I do believe it was almost certainly down to continuity and a strong and passionate
boardroom(ie the very top dogs at the club). We now seem devoid of any ambition
at this wonderful football club and it is really starting to worry me what lies in store.
OK I know if we do get relegated we would be back,without doubt, but returning any
better or wiser, I doubt.
The problem lies at the very top,we need a new owner with people around him that
have villa close to their hearts(dream on).We keep trying to mop up the puddles(McLeish
lambert et al) but until the root cause is addressed we will continue to fester..

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2015, 10:41:13 AM »
Next Saturday will be very interesting in terms of if things go wrong on the pitch (let's face it that has a high probability rating) will the crowd turn on the manager.
I think the crowd will be very sparse which in itself should tell Fox all he needs to know .

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »
Next Saturday will be very interesting in terms of if things go wrong on the pitch (let's face it that has a high probability rating) will the crowd turn on the manager.
I think the crowd will be very sparse which in itself should tell Fox all he needs to know .

We don't get massive crowds against Stoke anyway.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »
I'd just like to point out that Burger King are a British company.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2015, 10:46:40 AM »

We don't get massive crowds against Stoke anyway.

Well unless Stan Matthews is playing!....and George Cummings could take care of him.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2015, 10:48:49 AM »
I'd just like to point out that Burger King are a British company.

Well, someone needed to point it out.

It's not by the way, it's based in Florida. What that has got to do with the price of fish, or processed meat, I'm confused about but there you go.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:51:50 AM by PeterWithe »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
The way we got back from the 2nd and the 3rd was because we had fans who were made of the right stuff.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2015, 10:54:05 AM »
I know some of our players aren't up to much, but are they really that much worse than some of the less established clubs who do better than us, year after year?

And is Sherwood capable of even spotting the less impressive ones, as he keeps picking a few of them.

What concerns me is that although players make mistakes, it isn't the players who look like they are doing the most damage, it is Sherwood and his bizarre tactics.

If you take a look at any Spurs forum, you will see that he is getting criticised here for the exact things he did there. He's not going to change in a hurry. For starters, he's too arrogant.

I can see the Lambert Cycle coming back - decent result somewhere followed by two months of absolute shit, repeated to the end of the season. Except we won't get away with it again.

Offline LTA

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
The underlying problem for this great club has always been the owner and I'm not just referring to Lerner as I can go back to Norman Smith and the "board must go" days.
Ellis took over then and it's fair to say I eventually hated him with a passion for continuously holding us back when we had opportunities to become a top club.
As much as I hated Ellis , Lerner has taken bad ownership to the level of criminal negligence as he has washed his hands of us and allowed us to slide into a bad joke of a club with an absolutely terrible defeatist DNA.

At least Ellis would have fronted up to it and not run off and hid like Lerner has.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal