collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Top Five Away Days  (Read 10712 times)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Top Five Away Days
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »
A few alternative ones

80/81 - wolves away 1-0 win, a lovely Withe header. Win the league win the league
88/89 ? Yanited away 1-1 fog day . Easily 8000 villa there , amazing support . Sid sid sid
78/79 ?- wolves away, I the old crooked stand a Friday night game for some reason. My first ever away 1-3 loss. Carradous for us.
80/81 Stoke 0-0 Victoria Grd , not a classic but a previous point on the way to the title. Stoke being Stoke it kicked off outside.

Wasn't Stoke in the title season 1-1? I saw us play out a 0-0 draw there in the promotion season. At least I don't think there were any goals. It was without doubt the worst view I have ever had for a game.

No Damo, it was definitely a 0-0.  I remember it well.  I expected us to win it.  How times have changed.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »
A few alternative ones

80/81 - wolves away 1-0 win, a lovely Withe header. Win the league win the league
88/89 ? Yanited away 1-1 fog day . Easily 8000 villa there , amazing support . Sid sid sid
78/79 ?- wolves away, I the old crooked stand a Friday night game for some reason. My first ever away 1-3 loss. Carradous for us.
80/81 Stoke 0-0 Victoria Grd , not a classic but a previous point on the way to the title. Stoke being Stoke it kicked off outside.

Wasn't Stoke in the title season 1-1? I saw us play out a 0-0 draw there in the promotion season. At least I don't think there were any goals. It was without doubt the worst view I have ever had for a game.

No Damo, it was definitely a 0-0.  I remember it well.  I expected us to win it.  How times have changed.
I thought it was 1-1 as well - Easter Monday - Withe for us not a clue for them ?

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »
A few alternative ones

I thought it was 1-1 as well - Easter Monday - Withe for us not a clue for them ?

I remember it being on Easter Monday as well - the previous Saturday we'd beaten Nottm Forest to regain top spot - anyone recall the "in the car, in the car, in the car" and Shilton's wife, can you hear us on the box" being aimed at Peter Shilton as we attacked the Holte End ?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2015, 08:36:37 PM »
A few alternative ones

I remember the "win the league, win the league game at the sty take2 in Feb/March 1981
Tremendous atmosphere on the old South Bank - didn't Andy Gray miss a sitter for them in that match?

1977/78  1-3 away there was as I remember on a Tuesday night and their win kept them in the old first division and cost us a place in the EUFA Cup.  I was in the old enclosure with the girlfriend I was with at the time and I remember it "kicking off" outside - I remember walking past the south bank and heard a couple of Wolves idiots plotting to ambush our supporters as they came out.

1980/81  Stoke away - as you say - at the time a precious point, when a draw was worth more than what is today.
I do remember Gray missing a sitter. Wasn't one of their players stretchered off too ? Or was that they year before ? I remember a game where Ormsby and John Richards I think both got red carded for fighting

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2015, 08:43:37 PM »
I've just checked the Stoke v Villa game in the old First Division title winning season.  I categorically stated that the score was 0-0.  Well guess what? I was friggin wrong again.  As others quite correctly stated, the score was 1-1.

villa/stoke

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »
A few alternative ones

I remember the "win the league, win the league game at the sty take2 in Feb/March 1981
Tremendous atmosphere on the old South Bank - didn't Andy Gray miss a sitter for them in that match?

1977/78  1-3 away there was as I remember on a Tuesday night and their win kept them in the old first division and cost us a place in the EUFA Cup.  I was in the old enclosure with the girlfriend I was with at the time and I remember it "kicking off" outside - I remember walking past the south bank and heard a couple of Wolves idiots plotting to ambush our supporters as they came out.

1980/81  Stoke away - as you say - at the time a precious point, when a draw was worth more than what is today.
I do remember Gray missing a sitter. Wasn't one of their players stretchered off too ? Or was that they year before ? I remember a game where Ormsby and John Richards I think both got red carded for fighting

The sendings-off were the year before, and I think the broken leg was the year after.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »
A few alternative ones

The sendings-off were the year before, and I think the broken leg was the year after.
Thanks. I remember the ambulance more or less driving onto the pitch, there was that much room between that new stand (at the time) and the actual pitch it was unreal

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2015, 09:57:28 AM »
A few alternative ones

Thanks. I remember the ambulance more or less driving onto the pitch, there was that much room between that new stand (at the time) and the actual pitch it was unreal

Living up here in Stafford, Wolves really are the enemy, they're all over the place and this thread has taken me back to our games there - late 70s - early 80s - when living in Great Barr, as I was at the time - they were as insignificant as the rags are up here now.

If I remember correctly - they came back up in 1977.  Our subsequent games that I went to at that 'orrible stadium as I remember.

77-78 Lost 1-3 - that kept them up

78-79  Won there 4-0 I think - a very poor Wolves side as I remember

79-80 - 1 - 1  A tremendous goal by a young Gary Shaw.  A lot of tension as Andy Gray had only just left us for them (I've disliked them with a passion ever since) Richards and Ormsby went up for a ball on half way and as I remember Richards elbowed Ormsy and B.O. just landed a right hook and floored him.

80-81 - 1 - 0 The win the league, win the league" game

81 - 82 My favourite seasons against them - beat them 3 times in 2 weeks as sandwiched in between a 3-2 home win and 1-0 ( I think) away win - in a 2 legged League Cup tie was a 3-0 win in the league - I believe this game was the incident between Tony Morley and Peter Daniel.  As I said we beat them 3-0 in the league on the Saturday and I remember "we'll be back, we'll be back, we'll be back on Tuesday night" - can't believe I went there twice in the space of 3 days !

I think they went down that year and I think 1983 - 84 was the second live televised game when ITV took over live football on Sunday afternoons - I'm sure that was a 1-1 draw and I don't think I've been there since.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:59:35 AM by castlefields_villan »

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »
Spurs 3-0 Villa (2014) - sometimes a crap performance doesn't matter.
Sheffield United 1-3 Villa (2011) - great day out with a fantastic away following.
Villa 2-1 Liverpool (FA Cup) - I'll never feel like I did at full time again.
Norwich 1-2 Villa (2013) - just awesome.  Gabby actually played to his potential that day.
Burnley 1-1 Villa (2014) - a top day out, and a large away following.

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
Petrov day at Wigan was pretty memorable and emotional.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2015, 09:50:57 AM »
I was at almost every game mentioned on this thread - none of them meant quite as much to those in attendance as Kevin Phillips shuttin those tramps up after our defeats and draws of the recent derbies.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 12:33:26 PM »
Is there any chance of tonights game being voted into this thread by some tomorrow morning?????

Offline levico

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »
Forget the year but I do remember a game at Everton in the days of Merse.

The match was dire and it p*ssed down the entire match. Had 0-0 all over it until the 90th minute when Merse spotted the Everton keeper off his line and lobbed him from about 40 yards.

Didn't even notice the torrential rain as we walked back through Stanley Park.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2015, 12:24:52 AM »
A few alternative ones

Living up here in Stafford, Wolves really are the enemy, they're all over the place and this thread has taken me back to our games there - late 70s - early 80s - when living in Great Barr, as I was at the time - they were as insignificant as the rags are up here now.

If I remember correctly - they came back up in 1977.  Our subsequent games that I went to at that 'orrible stadium as I remember.

77-78 Lost 1-3 - that kept them up

78-79  Won there 4-0 I think - a very poor Wolves side as I remember

79-80 - 1 - 1  A tremendous goal by a young Gary Shaw.  A lot of tension as Andy Gray had only just left us for them (I've disliked them with a passion ever since) Richards and Ormsby went up for a ball on half way and as I remember Richards elbowed Ormsy and B.O. just landed a right hook and floored him.

80-81 - 1 - 0 The win the league, win the league" game

81 - 82 My favourite seasons against them - beat them 3 times in 2 weeks as sandwiched in between a 3-2 home win and 1-0 ( I think) away win - in a 2 legged League Cup tie was a 3-0 win in the league - I believe this game was the incident between Tony Morley and Peter Daniel.  As I said we beat them 3-0 in the league on the Saturday and I remember "we'll be back, we'll be back, we'll be back on Tuesday night" - can't believe I went there twice in the space of 3 days !

I think they went down that year and I think 1983 - 84 was the second live televised game when ITV took over live football on Sunday afternoons - I'm sure that was a 1-1 draw and I don't think I've been there since.

I think you are right and the 1-1 in 1983 was the second live televised game when they started showing live league games for the first time. I seem to remember Withe scoring for us and a guy called Rudge (Dale?) for them. The first live game had been Spurs v Forest a couple of weeks before I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal