collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:37 PM]

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Goldenballs
[Today at 10:11:40 PM]

Robin Olsen by OzVilla
[Today at 10:11:15 PM]

Diego Carlos by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:09:04 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:04:00 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Best Ever Performance by a Villa Player  (Read 16979 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Best Ever Performance by a Villa Player
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2015, 01:36:22 PM »
Other than every single appearance by Sir Paul McGrath

Cheating a bit because although he played for us at the time it wasn't for us, but Macca's performance against Italy for Ireland in the 1994 World Cup was as good as I've ever seen.   

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »

Cheating a bit because although he played for us at the time it wasn't for us, but Macca's performance against Italy for Ireland in the 1994 World Cup was as good as I've ever seen.   
That game for Ireland against Italy was the best peformance by current Villa player that I ever remember.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »

That game for Ireland against Italy was the best peformance by current Villa player that I ever remember.

At that point, you could say the best defender in the world played for Aston Villa and people would take you seriously.

Offline bugdozer

• I was a teenage armchair (̶H̶o̶n̶v̶e̶d̶) Villa fan
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »

At that point, you could say the best defender in the world played for Aston Villa and people would take you seriously.

Quite right too.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:23 PM »
Other than every single appearance by Sir Paul McGrath, I would like to nominate The Holte End...

...for scoring the third goal at the Tranmere game, through sheer collective willpower.

I'm pretty sure Atkinson played just a minor part and was a mere puppet in the general Force / Telekinesis thing that was going on that night.

I think we also dragged out the Tranmere freekick that hit the post and went across the line nearly hitting the other post with a minute left. 20,000 people simultaneously trying to suck the ball away from goal, it worked.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2015, 08:14:47 AM »
David Rudge when he got the winner v Hull in 1969

0-2 down and going nowhere and came back to win 3-2. One of the games which completely hooked me and means I still believe we can come back from 2 down in matches thirty six years on!

Forty six years not thirty six years. Congratulations, you have reached an age where when you look back on life ten year chunks just all seem to merge into one big mush.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
David Rudge when he got the winner v Hull in 1969

0-2 down and going nowhere and came back to win 3-2. One of the games which completely hooked me and means I still believe we can come back from 2 down in matches thirty six years on!

Forty six years not thirty six years. Congratulations, you have reached an age where when you look back on life ten year chunks just all seem to merge into one big mush.
I posted the original in regard to David Rudge somewhat tongue firmly in cheek, but i also remember that particular game with fondness, as said above by Godfrey Brian we were 2-0 down aand came back to win
 3-2. I particularly remembered the celebrations from the players and how Rudge was completely mobbed by his teammates.
Many years later i was invited to the Club 82 lounge or whatever it's called now but David Rudge was invited to say a few words and i don't think a sole remembered him.
After the match he was sat on his own with his wife basically keeping himself to himself so i decided to go and chat with him about his days at the Villa, making a point of asking him about that goal and the ensuing celebration. He wanted to talk and talk and i think he loved the fact that a guy remembered him with fondness and i suppose some knowledge of him as a player, but he did mention that Villa's basic pay structure was particularly low and they all would earn a large win bonus, and remember this was Tommy Docherty's first full season in charge and after the euphoria of his coming the previous season players were contemplating a great many win bonus' to come but alas this wasn't the case and this particular game was the 10th game of the season played on Sept 20th 1969 and in the previous 9 we had not managed a win, in fact losing 7 and drawing only 2. So to finally win a game just brought out the emotions from the players undoubtedly thinking of their pay packet.
It was a good 45 minutes or so spent in David's company and at the time was still living in Torquay whom he joined i believe after leaving Hereford who we sold him to for the princely sum of £6000, i will say though he loved his time at the club and has great memories of his time with us scoring 10 goals in a little over 50 appearances. The other scorers in that game watched by 23666 of us were Brian Godfrey and Lew Chatterley,

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
I think it's David Rudge who says in CotR, "Other players who won the Terrace Trophy such as David Platt must look at my name engraved on there and think 'Who the hell is he?'."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:14:42 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
I remember in the second division a bad Tony Daley backpass to Tommy Tynan allowed him to put Plymouth 1-0 and the Holte End, understandably, getting straight onto his back. Pretty certain he had a hand all the five goals we proceeded to score and was only denied adding a sixth by being hacked down on the edge of the box.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
I remember in the second division a bad Tony Daley backpass to Tommy Tynan allowed him to put Plymouth 1-0 and the Holte End, understandably, getting straight onto his back. Pretty certain he had a hand all the five goals we proceeded to score and was only denied adding a sixth by being hacked down on the edge of the box.
I think that happened in the first few (if not the very first) minutes and is my main memory of that game.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 06:51:28 PM »
That's a good shout for god in NYC v the Italians in 94. Had Baggio in his back pocket .

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2015, 07:50:04 PM »
Taking into account the magnitude of the match and the outstanding quality of his performance following the drama of his unexpected appearance, Nigel Spink wins this accolade hands down. 26th May 1982 saw a comic book story come to life.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »
Taking into account the magnitude of the match and the outstanding quality of his performance following the drama of his unexpected appearance, Nigel Spink wins this accolade hands down. 26th May 1982 saw a comic book story come to life.

I make you right.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2015, 10:42:51 PM »
Just a shame he blotted his copy book later on . But yeah agree, jumpers for goalposts stuff

Offline ColinMac

• GM : 12.05.2021
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »
Bit of a strange one, but i remember Mark Draper having an absolutely fantastic game in our 3-0 loss to Liverpool at Old Trafford in the FA Cup Semi Final the week after we won the Coca Cola Cup, cant ever remember feeling so gutted after a match as that one, the 3-0 flattered Liverpool.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal