collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Managing the club was like being on death row says Paul Lambert  (Read 23358 times)

Offline villabear

Re: Managing the club was like being on death row says Paul Lambert
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 08:11:47 AM »
He's just another one of those managers who gets the chop and then comes out with the "I'm going to take some time out of the game" line.  Problem for him will be I don't think his phone will be ringing anytime soon. Charity golf days, sound bites and a bit of TV if he's lucky.

I think you can confine him to the Curbishley, Hoddle, Graham pile of ex managers.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 08:49:19 AM »
When was he on death row then?

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »

There seems to be some kind of invisible to us mere mortals that once people are catapulted into certain salary levels they begin to believe their trials and tribulations are truly awful.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 09:10:34 AM »
The executioner ?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »
Having you still in the job after 3 seasons just showed how far we'd fallen. Worst Manager we've ever had and if you carry on gobbling off like this you'll be the most disliked aswell. (and after DOL I can't believe anyone would even get close to that award).

I dislike Lambert more than I dislike DOL. There, I've said it. DOL was a far better manager than Lambert for a start, and did less damage to the club on the field of play. Off it, I don't recall DOL popping up on every programme in world football to give his non-expert opinion on the club. I don't recall DOL allowing a culture of bullying at the club.

Lambert has become a rich man by presiding over some of the worst results in the club's history. Despite all the frustrations of life under Randy Lerner, he signed a new contract when he could have walked away a millionaire. He's a greedy, arrogant chancer who won't accept any responsibility for his own abject stupidity, and I dislike the unintelligible gobbledegook-peddler intensely for that reason.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 10:09:42 AM »
Lambert never belittled the club with quite the same arrogance as DOL did though. Lambert at least gave the impression that he 'got' us - understood what we'd been and what we could be again. He also always came across as a decent bloke while in the job, similar to TSM1.

DOL always gave the impression we were beneath him, he knew nothing of our history and quite frankly wasnt really bothered and text gate just told you everything about the man's character as a person.

DOL was the better manager but I think Lambert was the better bloke. He's trying my patience with all this shit though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:11:40 AM by OzVilla »

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 11:07:44 AM »
Plain and simple, the guys struggling to get a whiff of a managers job anywhere.
And to be fair, his tenure at villa park was awful, with the poorest football I hope I'll ever see in my lifetime.
For myself, I began to detest the bloke with his moronic interviews, whether they were pre or post match, that was like the green mile for everyone watching.

I gave the man my full support up until his last 6-7 months, then cut myself away from Villa Park entirely, barely even watching any football, that's what you did for a 31 years time serving fan.

Your a disgrace, best thing you can do is go and sit in a darkened corner until some desperate club needs a body in place, but please make sure you take some good back room staff with you, who know the game.
Oh, and while we are obviously getting things off our chests, your appearance as a pundit on the Bournemouth game for setanta was as dull and boring as your football.

You should have left us alone, had a bit of dignity, and in time I'm sure some desperado's would have taken you on board for a fresh start, and I'm sure some of us would have wished you well. As it is, I pity whoever may take an interest in your dull, pathetic dire world of football.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 12:00:04 PM »
Lambert never belittled the club with quite the same arrogance as DOL did though. Lambert at least gave the impression that he 'got' us - understood what we'd been and what we could be again. He also always came across as a decent bloke while in the job, similar to TSM1.

DOL always gave the impression we were beneath him, he knew nothing of our history and quite frankly wasnt really bothered and text gate just told you everything about the man's character as a person.

DOL was the better manager but I think Lambert was the better bloke. He's trying my patience with all this shit though.

Agree, comparing Lambert to DOL is ridiculous. DOL influence in the club descended into absolute poison for a finish with fans, players and board revolted by his antics. While Lambert was clearly miles out of his depth at Villa Park, he didn't leave behind a similar situation to DOL

Lambert is obviously is in the market for a new job. He did such a poor job at Villa that he will struggle to get picked up at a mid table second division club. In hindsight, he should have resigned last summer instead of scraping the bargain basement for utter crap like Senderos, Cole and Richardson. But no, he stayed on and signed a new contract knowing exactly the constraints he was working under.

Eventually though even elsewhere he would have got found out for his woeful man management, questionable judgement re his staff, abysmal tactics and clueless coaching. Oh and his subs, farcical.

Nigel Atkins got back to back promotions in the same seasons Lambert did. I expect Lambert to have one further failure at a club like Reading before he is never heard of again.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »
there are so many unanswered questions regarding Lambert's tenure at Villa that he probably warrants an episode on Unsolved Mysteries. For a start, does anyone have a rational idea as to how/why he was awarded that new 4 year deal just three or four games into last season and why he escaped all censure over the Bullygate incident? Surely as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum's line manager, there is no way he couldn't have been aware of what was, allegedly, going on?

Offline ez

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »
Managers never take any blame.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »

[/quote]

I dislike Lambert more than I dislike DOL. There, I've said it. DOL was a far better manager than Lambert for a start, and did less damage to the club on the field of play. Off it, I don't recall DOL popping up on every programme in world football to give his non-expert opinion on the club. I don't recall DOL allowing a culture of bullying at the club.

Lambert has become a rich man by presiding over some of the worst results in the club's history. Despite all the frustrations of life under Randy Lerner, he signed a new contract when he could have walked away a millionaire. He's a greedy, arrogant chancer who won't accept any responsibility for his own abject stupidity, and I dislike the unintelligible gobbledegook-peddler intensely for that reason.
[/quote]

This. 100% for me too.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »

He is currently I beleive for crimes against attractive football. Death row career wise that is.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
Managers never take any blame.

He doesn't seem to think he's worthy of it. 12 goals in half a season and he's trying to blame everybody but himself.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2015, 02:13:27 PM »
Even some clubs (clubs like ours, for example) have absentee landlords, the Chief Execs and the others down the next rung of the ladder form quite a tight circle in English football.

They are the ones that ultimately run the show, and they won't be too enamored at the thought of hiring a guy who will slag off the employer at the drop of a hat.

That's why most managers when they leave a job don't do it -even if they are financially secure.  It's not loyalty, as such.  They just don't want to scupper their future chances.

That ultimately did for O'Leary, and it will do for this twat too.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »
I'm not sure I see much wrong with what he's saying to be honest.  Glad he's gone mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal