collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Goalkeepers  (Read 13835 times)

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
Re: Villa Goalkeepers
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2015, 08:18:20 PM »
For verbal assaults on the opposition, and his own defenders, Les Sealey takes some beating.

I rated Rimmer above all I've seen - James, i thought, let opposition fans get under his skin.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »
Yes. Definitely.

Yes we had him on loan at the start of the seventies Dave but if my memory serves me well he never played a first team game

No Ron he didn't.  You could say it was one of the occasions when we knew what we were doing.  Shocking goalkeeper but still managed to rack up international caps.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »
Bosnich on his day was the best I've seen. Bit erratic sometimes...

Pedants corner: if you're erratic then you're erratic, you're not erratic "sometimes."

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »
Jimmy Rimmer Brad Fridel Mark Bosnich top three for me

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2015, 11:17:12 AM »
I cannot remember Jimmy Rimmer making a serious mistake in  his time with our club.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2015, 07:13:18 PM »
My first game at villa park v Bolton 67/68 season all I can remember was Colin withers tipping 3 goal bound shots over the bar.
Couldn't wait to get back to my grandads to do the same loved him ever since.
Bozzie could of gone on to be the best, rimmer never let us down and loved burridge for his practise saves etc during the game when the ball was down the other end

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »
Bosnich made the best save I ever saw, in the cup defeat at home to Cov, he seemed to turn in mid air, never seen anything like it.

Best save I saw was by Kevin Poole, from a David Speedie header as I remember, in front of the Holte.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:36:35 PM by WarszaVillan82 »

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2015, 08:40:06 PM »
My first game at villa park v Bolton 67/68 season all I can remember was Colin withers tipping 3 goal bound shots over the bar.
Bozzie could of gone on to be the best, rimmer never let us down and loved burridge for his practise saves etc during the game when the ball was down the other end

The word spectacular describes Colin Withers perfectly. He saved us time after time in the mid sixties. He is living either in Kettering or the surrounding area these days. The fans of that era loved him.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2015, 03:01:08 AM »

The word spectacular describes Colin Withers perfectly. He saved us time after time in the mid sixties. He is living either in Kettering or the surrounding area these days. The fans of that era loved him.

True, Ron. My vivid memory is Withers and Slogger saving us time after time. 

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2015, 03:46:57 AM »
Bosnich made the best save I ever saw, in the cup defeat at home to Cov, he seemed to turn in mid air, never seen anything like it.

Best save I saw was by Kevin Poole, from a David Speedie header as I remember, in front of the Holte.

If it's the one I'm thinking of it received a standing ovation -  late in the 1985-6 season in a 3-1 win which helped keep us up.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2015, 03:55:13 AM »
The best save I can recall was by Rimmer in front of the Holte at home to Anderlecht. I also have very fond memories of a Bosnich save from Mark Hughes  late in the 1994 final v Manyoo.

Rimmer is probably my favourite keeper for consistency. He rarely let us down, though did have a poor game at home to Liverpool in  a 4-2 defeat around Xmas 1982.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 06:51:32 AM »
There was another Bosnich save almost as good as the Coventry one, he saved a close range header from Gavin Peacock in 1995-96 when we lost 1-0 at home to them, Dennis Wise scored and ran along patting himself on the head.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
Rimmer and Bosnich for me, hard to separate them, both brilliant shot stoppers.

Offline avfcdale

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2015, 08:36:13 AM »
The best save I can recall was by Rimmer in front of the Holte at home to Anderlecht. I also have very fond memories of a Bosnich save from Mark Hughes  late in the 1994 final v Manyoo.

Rimmer is probably my favourite keeper for consistency. He rarely let us down, though did have a poor game at home to Liverpool in  a 4-2 defeat around Xmas 1982.

The save from Rimmer against Anderlecht was brilliant, however unfortunately the best save i ever saw was from Shilton 1978 a free kick edge of the box by sid went hard through the wall and shilton got across full stretch to put it wide for a corner i still dont know how it was saved now it was a piledriver of a shot

Online Lucky Eddie

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
Mark Bosnich laughs like a girl.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal