collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jordan Amavi - gone again  (Read 208788 times)

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
Re: Jordan Amavi
« Reply #1095 on: December 30, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
He makes at least one big error in each game, looks good going forward but he's a terrible defender.

I don't think any club would even contemplate offering us £25m if he was a terrible defender.

I'm pretty certain no club has.

Dr Tony seems to think we turned a bid down.

I didn't believe him when he tweeted it. I can't believe any club would be daft enough to offer that kind of money for him or any club be daft enough to turn down that amount of money for him.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1096 on: December 30, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
one thing is irrefutable in my opinion - he isn't a PL quality player

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1097 on: December 30, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »
He makes at least one big error in each game, looks good going forward but he's a terrible defender.

I don't think any club would even contemplate offering us £25m if he was a terrible defender.

I didn't believe him when he tweeted it. I can't believe any club would be daft enough to offer that kind of money for him or any club be daft enough to turn down that amount of money for him.

I'm not sure why he would lie about it though and besides, his agent would also know if a bid had been made or not.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1098 on: December 30, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »

Must admit it did seem a bit far fetched,
but he's been pretty open and honest with his tweets up to now, so i'l give him the benefit if doubt this time

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #1099 on: December 30, 2016, 03:42:51 PM »
I thought it was a bit of bravado, look how we can turn down such imaginary bids for our players kind of thing. I know there is no rhyme or reason to transfer fees these days but if we did pay £9 million for him I can't see where the £16 million of improvements have been made especially after his long injury lay off.

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #1100 on: December 30, 2016, 03:51:01 PM »
There were question marks over Amavi's defending last season.

I liken him to Matthew Lowton, who (IMO) got off very lightly from fans in his first season, due to his play in the final 3rd of the field.  Poor Bennett copped for the flak, when in reality, his defending was no worse than that of Lowtons.

When I look at a full back, I first look at his defensive qualities, I don't give a sh%t how fancy he looks further up the field.

I accept that Amavi is still only 22 but several of his mistakes are down to bad decision making and cannot be attributed to him coming back from a serious injury.  He will improve and become a better defender but he is not anywhere near the £25mil mark as yet.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #1101 on: December 30, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
Maybe but it's possible someone offered that much. John Stones went for nearly £50m after he was brought for next to nothing. Some clubs see potential and are happy to throw money at it.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1102 on: December 30, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »
He's been really poor the last two games, having said that the majority of us have been saying that he's not a defender for well over a year now, left sided midfielder all day long.

Amavi in midfield with cissokho behind him would give us a much better balance

Suggesting Cissokho playing again for Aston Villa should result in an immediate ban.

Cissokho is fine as long as he stops at the half way line

Expecting a full back to be in his own box defdnding one minute and then bombing down the wing and putting a decent cross the next is unrealstic

No he isn't, he has the same limitations that Hutton does in that he gets caught out of position time after time but often gets away with with a decent recovering tackle.  The issue is if you rely on last ditch tackles you'll give away a fair number of penalties as we've seen this year.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1103 on: December 30, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »

Unless they're Chinese seeing the crazy figures they're splashing about.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
« Reply #1104 on: December 30, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »

Unless they're Chinese seeing the crazy figures they're splashing about.

In that case we should hold out for £75 million.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #1105 on: December 30, 2016, 06:20:30 PM »
Great cross for Chester's header. The cross was instinctive and proves what he can do but otherwise had a poor game

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1106 on: December 30, 2016, 06:43:43 PM »
I think he had a good first half, 2nd half he didn't have a great time but he was 2 on 1 with Sacko and Ayling far more than he should've been and the gap between him and Baker was far too wide meaning he was caught between 2 bad decisions far too many times.  He didn't help himself with some of the dithering though.

Offline kipeye

« Reply #1107 on: December 30, 2016, 07:08:13 PM »
I think he had a good first half, 2nd half he didn't have a great time but he was 2 on 1 with Sacko and Ayling far more than he should've been and the gap between him and Baker was far too wide meaning he was caught between 2 bad decisions far too many times.  He didn't help himself with some of the dithering though.
That's how I saw it too. Ayling pushed higher up and there were often 3 on their right flank.

Offline achilles

« Reply #1108 on: December 30, 2016, 07:26:40 PM »

Even though he tried to shepherd the ball out, failed, fell on his backside appealing for something and nearly cost us a goal?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1109 on: December 30, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »
He was okay going forwards but poor at the back. He does tend to make a mistake or two a game but gets away with it as he has the pace to get back and make amends. He didn't have that luxury yesterday as the Leeds player he was against was a quick fucker, too.

He's still learning and will get better. He's also just come back from a year out and, for the most part, been very good for us. I wouldn't be so dismissive of his abilities as some are on here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal