collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Micah Richards - Released  (Read 454545 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Micah Richards - Released
« Reply #2700 on: February 25, 2021, 07:32:25 PM »
The way I have always looked at this episode is imagine we did not engage a new manager but a new groundsman.  The groundsman inherits a pitch that is two acres of mud and standing water.  He/she is expected to sort it out in two or three months of winter weather with no money for grass seed or drainpipes.  In addition the ground staff are lazy, bolshy and work shy.  The job fails.  Everybody's sympathy is with the groundsman.  But if the new club employee is the Team Manager he is expected to turn losses into wins, climb the table and achieve top flight security using kids from the youth team and ageing Roy Race on a free transfer from Melchester.  He fails and is roundly abused as a loser.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2701 on: February 25, 2021, 11:56:29 PM »
Imo Garde was set up to fail, thanks to the sh-ts in the dressing room and the sh-ts in charge of the club at the time. The lack of support he had as a manager was epitomised by the January transfer window. He may have turned out to be a good or bad manager, who knows, but he was badly let down by the decision makers and so-called pro footballers who disgraced AVFC.

Totally agree.  I honestly think if he'd have walked at the end of January then more would have sympathised with him.

He was lied to from the moment he walked through the door

Yeah totally agree about being lied to and can only surmise that he was bought in as the “patsy”

Offline Villan82

« Reply #2702 on: February 26, 2021, 10:08:22 AM »
Garde was the sort of appointment this club was crying out for since about 2002. However, he arrived with us on 4 points after ten games with a toxic squad, disinterested owner and in a period of decline.

I wonder how it would have worked out if Sherwood had been sacked that summer and Garde appointed then?

Offline Allan C

« Reply #2703 on: February 26, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »
Garde was the sort of appointment this club was crying out for since about 2002. However, he arrived with us on 4 points after ten games with a toxic squad, disinterested owner and in a period of decline.

I wonder how it would have worked out if Sherwood had been sacked that summer and Garde appointed then?
Very similarly unfortunately, the rot had already set in at that stage

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2704 on: February 26, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »

A judge of Garde's CV post Villa doesn't suggest anything other than relegation. Except with Kalinic in goal for us earlier.

Garde wanted to root out the jokers from early on but he really should have tried to galvanise them first and left the revolution until that summer. He had nothing to lose really, a decent stab at avoiding relegation and he would have been kept on for the following season anyway. He didn't even get the younger talented guys like Gueye and Veretout playing for him really. When we looked doomed the previous season, perhaps with better players, but it's something Sherwood did well. Lambert's last stand away at Hull I think, we looked completely doomed so Sherwood did well to just about rescue us that time.

For a finish, Garde threw the towel in same as the rest of them waiting for his inevitable pay off. Repeated the same mistakes as Houllier as the OP said and doesn't particularly warrant much sympathy for me.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2705 on: February 26, 2021, 02:42:24 PM »
Comparing Garde to Sherwood is completely unfair and ignores the circumstances at the club when they were each appointed.

Sherwood came in with Benteke as one of the most dangerous strikers in the league, Delph as a top end box-to-box midfielder and with us in the bottom 3 on goal difference.

Garde came in with Gestede looking wildly out of his depth as the main striker, Lescott and Richards at the back looking like they were both ready for retirement and a squad that was pretty clearly split in 2. On top of that we were already 4 points adrift at the bottom and in need or more than just being 'galvanised'. His only choice was to change the attitude of the squad and get them playing in a way that suited the players we had but the senior players who should've backed him downed tools and let him fail. I don't care what he's done since, very few ex-Villa managers go on to better things, all we can judge him by is what happened whilst he was with us and, in my opinion, he deserves sympathy for being fucked over more than scorn for not being good enough.

Online ez

« Reply #2706 on: February 26, 2021, 03:12:36 PM »
Garde inherited the most wretched bunch of losers I've ever seen in over 40 years watching Villa. You could of had Sir Alex, Cloughie or Paisley in charge and the result would have been the same. The towel has long since been thrown in.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #2707 on: February 26, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »
I thought that, there isn't a manager alive that would have kept that shower up.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2708 on: February 26, 2021, 03:50:22 PM »
I despised that Villa side.

Guzan, Lescott, Richards, Agbonlahor, the big clown keeper who was shit and hung around for years (I can't remember his name), grinning Bacuna, Bennett just for being really shit and weak, Nzogbia wage stealing, Westwood sideways crabbing and floaty corners, Ayew looking a right miserable bastard all the time. I hated that squad.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #2709 on: February 26, 2021, 04:49:01 PM »

Guzan, Lescott, Richards, Agbonlahor, the big clown keeper who was shit and hung around for years (I can't remember his name), grinning Bacuna, Bennett just for being really shit and weak, Nzogbia wage stealing, Westwood sideways crabbing and floaty corners, Ayew looking a right miserable bastard all the time. I hated that squad.

Beautifully put. Lambert with his mumbling post match bullshite was close to unbearable.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2710 on: February 26, 2021, 04:51:16 PM »
Comparing Garde to Sherwood is completely unfair and ignores the circumstances at the club when they were each appointed.

Sherwood came in with Benteke as one of the most dangerous strikers in the league, Delph as a top end box-to-box midfielder and with us in the bottom 3 on goal difference.

Garde came in with Gestede looking wildly out of his depth as the main striker, Lescott and Richards at the back looking like they were both ready for retirement and a squad that was pretty clearly split in 2. On top of that we were already 4 points adrift at the bottom and in need or more than just being 'galvanised'. His only choice was to change the attitude of the squad and get them playing in a way that suited the players we had but the senior players who should've backed him downed tools and let him fail. I don't care what he's done since, very few ex-Villa managers go on to better things, all we can judge him by is what happened whilst he was with us and, in my opinion, he deserves sympathy for being fucked over more than scorn for not being good enough.

Benteke and Delph were certainly not playing like top players at the time. We looked a complete and utter rabble and with a broken manager. Likes of Gabby were already in semi retirement. Run through the team (and the bench) that played the cup final, it was a dreadful one with the exception of those two and a very young Jack Grealish. I'm not in any way a fan of the geezer Tim Sherwood by the way but he walked into a complete shit show too.

The season wasn't completely gone by the time Garde started and certainly shouldn't have petered out with a humiliating points total. A number of the players Sherwood mismanaged have gone on to play at a very high level since their Villa days. Garde got little or nothing out of them nor Grealish. Various reasons for that but a manager is there to manage. Garde completely failed to even get the group to put up a fight (well aside from fighting with each other).

Online ez

« Reply #2711 on: February 26, 2021, 05:44:24 PM »

Beautifully put. Lambert with his mumbling post match bullshite was close to unbearable.

"I thought we were outstanding" after another humiliation. What planet was he on?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2712 on: February 26, 2021, 07:10:33 PM »
Remi Garde's managerial career post Villa suggests that he wasn't all that.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2713 on: February 26, 2021, 07:19:21 PM »

Benteke and Delph were certainly not playing like top players at the time. We looked a complete and utter rabble and with a broken manager. Likes of Gabby were already in semi retirement. Run through the team (and the bench) that played the cup final, it was a dreadful one with the exception of those two and a very young Jack Grealish. I'm not in any way a fan of the geezer Tim Sherwood by the way but he walked into a complete shit show too.

The season wasn't completely gone by the time Garde started and certainly shouldn't have petered out with a humiliating points total. A number of the players Sherwood mismanaged have gone on to play at a very high level since their Villa days. Garde got little or nothing out of them nor Grealish. Various reasons for that but a manager is there to manage. Garde completely failed to even get the group to put up a fight (well aside from fighting with each other).

They left to join top 4 teams a few months later, they were top players.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2714 on: February 26, 2021, 07:25:24 PM »
Nobody, least of all me, has ever claimed that Remi Garde was a brilliant manager.  What is claimed, especially by me, is that he should be treated with respect as anybody in any job is entitled to expect.  Not simply binned off as part of the francophobia that gripped our club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal