collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Burnley Post-Match Thread  (Read 33930 times)

Offline Rudy65

Re: Aston Villa vs Burnley Post-Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 25, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »
Clampy, why do you always want to have a fight with me?  What have I ever done to you that whatever I say you take exception to it?   Where do you get the take that I want us to lose the cup final?

I have said and I hold to it, based on 69 years on the Holte End man and boy, that I want us walking tall in the Premiership and that anything else is a bonus.   You have no right whatsoever to twist that into some sort of accusation that I want us to lose.

As for the journeyman comparison, our games against West Ham and Everton that saved us us our Premiership status were  inferior to our performance against Liverpool.

Journeyman performance against Everton? Youve got to be joking. We played well and a bigger win wouldnt have flattered us. West Ham wasnt as good but we did enough to win

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #241 on: May 25, 2015, 11:41:27 PM »
Everton were the form team in the division when we played them, and coming off the back of an excellent win vs Man U. Not only was that victory completely deserved the scoreline could have and should have been by a much wider margin.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #242 on: May 25, 2015, 11:48:44 PM »
I hope we play better on Saturday.

Finally, the voice of reason.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2015, 12:00:32 AM »
Finishing fourth bottom isn't something to be celebrated, yes there is a sense of relief that we've just about pulled ourselves away in time but five years of flirting with relegation simply isn't good enough, Cup Final or not.

Spot on.

I don't know why some people seem to struggle with this.

Yes, getting to the FA Cup final is fucking ace, and winning it will be even better.

However, that is never going to disguise the fact that we've just finished a fucking pathetic 17th. That's not good enough. It wasn't good enough when we were finishing 15th or 16th, either, and this is even worse.

Is it really that complicated to suggest that finishing in the lowest position you can without getting relegated is fucking disgraceful, but that being in the Cup final is nice?

Quite obviously, I want us to win it, more than I want almost anything else in life, but at the same time, if we win it, it will not disguise the fact that the club has just completed its fifth consecutive season of being an utter fucking shambles, and that has got to stop.

Yes, we were absolutely done for had we persisted with Lambert any longer then the already ludicrous amount of time we'd already given him. Yes, Sherwood did do pretty well when he came in (although, let's be honest, 19th when he came here, 17th at the end of the season, it is much nicer to watch, but it isn't like it has just been banging in goals and "fuck the rest of it because it doesn't matter").

However, none of the above, not even reaching the FA Cup final, can hide the fact that for five years now we've been run by an owner who is - in the most charitable description - "detached", shall we say, and who has very clearly lost interest in the club, and accordingly made a series of really poor decisions. Lambert (new contract after four mediocre games) underperformed, failed to get what he could from the squad. Sherwood came in and got far more out of them. However he did that over a relatively short period of 10 or so league games. That doesn't mean he's going to miraculously hit the ground running and tear us up the league with the same squad next season.

We have got a hell of a lot of work to do, and we need to bear in mind that, win the cup or not, it has still got to be done.

Five years circling the fucking plug hole, making that "just above the relegation slot" thing our own, just doing enough to drag ourselves out of it at the last moment, it just is not anywhere near acceptable.

Saying that doesn't make you some sort of charlatan who is deviating from the commonly read script that Sherwood is a genius and who cares, we're going to be victorious in our second cup final appearance in a little under half a century. It means you're still conscious of the fact that the last few years have been an absolute embarassment in the history of this club.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2015, 12:04:56 AM »
I haven't seen anyone celebrating that we finished 17th. Or saying we don't need to do work over the summer.

Online pauliewalnuts

« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2015, 12:05:28 AM »
I haven't seen anyone celebrating that we finished 17th. Or saying we don't need to do work over the summer.

I've seen plenty of people sounding like we should be hallelujahing over not going down when it looked like we would (yet again).

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #246 on: May 26, 2015, 12:11:46 AM »
So you haven't seen it either then. Being relieved we stayed up when after Hull we looked totally fucked, is very different to celebrating a 17th place finish and thinking nothing needs to be done in the summer.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #247 on: May 26, 2015, 12:15:56 AM »
Everton were the form team in the division when we played them, and coming off the back of an excellent win vs Man U. Not only was that victory completely deserved the scoreline could have and should have been by a much wider margin.

Not forgetting we completely outplayed them despite the best efforts of Clattenburg.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #248 on: May 26, 2015, 12:20:59 AM »
Finishing fourth bottom isn't something to be celebrated, yes there is a sense of relief that we've just about pulled ourselves away in time but five years of flirting with relegation simply isn't good enough, Cup Final or not.

Spot on.

Yes, getting to the FA Cup final is fucking ace, and winning it will be even better.

However, that is never going to disguise the fact that we've just finished a fucking pathetic 17th. That's not good enough. It wasn't good enough when we were finishing 15th or 16th, either, and this is even worse.

Is it really that complicated to suggest that finishing in the lowest position you can without getting relegated is fucking disgraceful, but that being in the Cup final is nice?

Quite obviously, I want us to win it, more than I want almost anything else in life, but at the same time, if we win it, it will not disguise the fact that the club has just completed its fifth consecutive season of being an utter fucking shambles, and that has got to stop.

Yes, we were absolutely done for had we persisted with Lambert any longer then the already ludicrous amount of time we'd already given him. Yes, Sherwood did do pretty well when he came in (although, let's be honest, 19th when he came here, 17th at the end of the season, it is much nicer to watch, but it isn't like it has just been banging in goals and "fuck the rest of it because it doesn't matter").

However, none of the above, not even reaching the FA Cup final, can hide the fact that for five years now we've been run by an owner who is - in the most charitable description - "detached", shall we say, and who has very clearly lost interest in the club, and accordingly made a series of really poor decisions. Lambert (new contract after four mediocre games) underperformed, failed to get what he could from the squad. Sherwood came in and got far more out of them. However he did that over a relatively short period of 10 or so league games. That doesn't mean he's going to miraculously hit the ground running and tear us up the league with the same squad next season.

We have got a hell of a lot of work to do, and we need to bear in mind that, win the cup or not, it has still got to be done.

Five years circling the fucking plug hole, making that "just above the relegation slot" thing our own, just doing enough to drag ourselves out of it at the last moment, it just is not anywhere near acceptable.

Saying that doesn't make you some sort of charlatan who is deviating from the commonly read script that Sherwood is a genius and who cares, we're going to be victorious in our second cup final appearance in a little under half a century. It means you're still conscious of the fact that the last few years have been an absolute embarassment in the history of this club.

Agree with every word of that. Big summer ahead for us, let's hope the decision makers realise it and sort it out.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #249 on: May 26, 2015, 07:07:57 AM »

Spot on.

this

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #250 on: May 26, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »
Don't know, if this has been commented on before in this thread as I haven't trawled all the way back.

But my disappointment with Sunday - not the score I can quite get that, players only at 70% Effort, but the fact with such a good crowd there we never had the opportunity to raise the roof, make some noise, spose we will let rip next Saturday.

did like the Holtes "where were you when we were shit when they announce the gate. V Good

Offline AlloLion

« Reply #251 on: May 26, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
Don't know, if this has been commented on before in this thread as I haven't trawled all the way back.

But my disappointment with Sunday - not the score I can quite get that, players only at 70% Effort, but the fact with such a good crowd there we never had the opportunity to raise the roof, make some noise, spose we will let rip next Saturday.

did like the Holtes "where were you when we were shit when they announce the gate. V Good

Me too, I was expecting a party atmosphere; it was really strange and quiet. Some even booed the team off at half time.

Not good

Offline dekko

« Reply #252 on: May 26, 2015, 09:57:21 AM »
Regarding the atmosphere, for me it felt like it has done a lot of the time when we put in a bad performance at home - we're so used to it you get a feeling of 'oh this again', and its hard to make any kind of noise, positive or negative.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #253 on: May 26, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
Thank you Burnley

For beating hull

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal