collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert on TalkSport  (Read 12363 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Lambert on TalkSport
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2015, 01:46:27 PM »
There used to be a lot of criticism of those who complained about his dour, mumbling press interviews either on the basis it was anti Scottish/anti working class or just irrelevant. I always used to think it was highly relevant if he was like that with the players. It's hardly a leadership style to inspire. Imagine him firing up a team at half time? His ridiculous catch phrase 'we go again' sums it up. There's a little independent record label called Fat Possum that puts out some rough basic blues bands no one will have heard of. It's logo is a fat possum crawling out of a bin and the words 'we're doing our best'. A half hearted and self deprecatory mission statement is great for a small alternative record label but not for a fiercely competitive football club.

In terms of how it finally spiralled from poor to disastrous, I think the Karsa/Culverhouse affair might hold the key. Something was obviously going badly wrong and whatever it was, it must have had a devastating impact on the team. It needed a really strong and positive response if we were going to keep Lambert in post but we just stumbled along with Shay Given being promoted from bomb squad to coach then signing an assistant with a history of... well let's just say a history. Then when the wheels inevitably came off with him, we just stumbled on with no one. Imagine how the players must have felt? Surrounded by controversy, incompetence and awful results withno one getting a grip or seeming to do anything and the manager telling the world we were excellent.

I'll be most disappointed if Ruffles The Wonder Dog has never heard of it.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2015, 01:56:51 PM »
The worst thing ever last season was Lerner giving Lambert that 4 year contract on the back of the first 4 results. What on earth possessed him to do that is inexcusable. He should have waited until at least half the season before making that decision - we all know he would've gone much earlier if that had been the case. Thank god the mumbling idiot has gone!

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:20 PM »
In
The worst thing ever last season was Lerner giving Lambert that 4 year contract on the back of the first 4 results. What on earth possessed him to do that is inexcusable. He should have waited until at least half the season before making that decision - we all know he would've gone much earlier if that had been the case. Thank god the mumbling idiot has gone!

Hindsight says absolutely yes to this.  However, if we have the chance to sign Benteke up for five years at the start of this season, it would have maybe led to some head scratching.  And if Lambert had ended up taking us to Europe this season, then the decision would have been lauded as great foresight and good planning.

Shows how fickle it can all be

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »
In

Hindsight says absolutely yes to this.  However, if we have the chance to sign Benteke up for five years at the start of this season, it would have maybe led to some head scratching.  And if Lambert had ended up taking us to Europe this season, then the decision would have been lauded as great foresight and good planning.

Nothing to do with hindsight. Only someone who had appointed TSM could then follow it up with giving PL a four year extension. PL was awful last season so getting 10 points from the first four games (when we didn't actually play well) this season was no grounds on which to give him four years.

Extending Benteke's contract would have been fine

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »
I wish I knew how to change my username at this point!

Anyway I think he will be very much employable still. Yes the footy was shite and we may have got relegated this season, but for a relatively small spend he kept us in the PL for 2 seasons. Owners of clubs like that, they don't care about style or entertainment (see FTA under Pullis), just the Sky money.

Either donate to gain GM status or ask me very, very nicely indeed.

Was I GM when I changed it before? I think I must have been. Anyway sufficient time has passed since the reason why I didn't renew my GM status so I will.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2015, 09:41:55 PM »
In

Nothing to do with hindsight. Only someone who had appointed TSM could then follow it up with giving PL a four year extension. PL was awful last season so getting 10 points from the first four games (when we didn't actually play well) this season was no grounds on which to give him four years.

I agree. We lived a charmed life in 3 of those games.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2015, 11:44:08 PM »
In

I agree. We lived a charmed life in 3 of those games.

Also, lest we forget, in that majestic four league game period, we also managed to get dumped out of the league cup. By Leyton Orient. At home.

I also seem to recall us having about 35% possession and zero shots on target at home to newcastle.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2015, 11:46:16 PM »
I don't remember us leading a charmed life in the 3 wins. Liverpool created next to nothing, neither did Stoke, and Hull were totally outplayed for a hour and then had a late burst.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2015, 11:47:51 PM »
I always had a private bet to see how many times he would say "brilliant" in a post match interview.

That used to drive me fucking nuts.

Also, how on earth could he keep a straight face, week after week telling the cameras he couldn't ask for any more from us, and we were excellent?

When you've just been firmly fucked in the face by Crystal Palace, having hardly had a shot on target, it isn't "brilliant". By definition, it can not be "brilliant"

I used to see his interviews and shudder every time he'd come out with that line. Saying we were excellent when we were actually embarrassing.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
We were utter gash against Orient though. Me and my mate, only half joking, said to each that it was a relief when they scored so as we could go home and not have to sit watching another half an hour of total shite.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
There used to be a lot of criticism of those who complained about his dour, mumbling press interviews either on the basis it was anti Scottish/anti working class or just irrelevant. I always used to think it was highly relevant if he was like that with the players. It's hardly a leadership style to inspire. Imagine him firing up a team at half time? His ridiculous catch phrase 'we go again' sums it up. There's a little independent record label called Fat Possum that puts out some rough basic blues bands no one will have heard of. It's logo is a fat possum crawling out of a bin and the words 'we're doing our best'. A half hearted and self deprecatory mission statement is great for a small alternative record label but not for a fiercely competitive football club.

I'll be most disappointed if Ruffles The Wonder Dog has never heard of it.

Thanks for the post. I watched the movie about this label the other night after seeing this post. Very fun. Cheers!

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »
I always had a private bet to see how many times he would say "brilliant" in a post match interview.

That used to drive me fucking nuts.

Also, how on earth could he keep a straight face, week after week telling the cameras he couldn't ask for any more from us, and we were excellent?

When you've just been firmly fucked in the face by Crystal Palace, having hardly had a shot on target, it isn't "brilliant". By definition, it can not be "brilliant"

I used to see his interviews and shudder every time he'd come out with that line. Saying we were excellent when we were actually embarrassing.

Thanks, you bastard.

Now I'm stuck with the image of Colin Wanker making "that face" just before I go to bed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal