collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192228 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #405 on: January 16, 2015, 04:00:05 PM »
Isn't that piggy-in-the-middle celebrated as the 'Rondo' in Barcelona and described as the secret of La Masia's success?

I can't answer that question, but it seems to me as a layman to be a useful way to introduce a drill where players will enjoy themselves, while learning to use the ball quickly in tight spaces/under pressure.

I'd bet it's great for the player doing the closing down so long as they put the effort in, given how little tackling actually happens in football being able to close down players and force them to pass where you want is a key skill.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but given how the drill has two "piggys" then I can imagine how it would be useful with an overloaded defence closing down options. Plus its fun.

From my own exprience I used to hate it  in training when we played a type of five aside with cones instead of goals. I am sure it was teaching us valuable lessons on finishing, but I hated it!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #406 on: January 16, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
From my own exprience I used to hate it  in training when we played a type of five aside with cones instead of goals. I am sure it was teaching us valuable lessons on finishing, but I hated it!

That's about as much fun as the rugby one where you're running into tackle bags, turning and popping a pass for the next guy, then you follow him and repeat in reverse, with about 10 tackle bags.  It's annoying as shit but do it well and you learn one of the key skills of the game.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #407 on: January 16, 2015, 05:29:05 PM »
Gil has averaged a goal or assist once per 8 games so far, In his home country

Let's hope he's one of tbose who plays the penultimate pass quite a lot.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #408 on: January 16, 2015, 05:38:32 PM »
Gil has averaged a goal or assist once per 8 games so far, In his home country

Let's hope he's one of tbose who plays the penultimate pass quite a lot.

It's 16 (6 goals 10 assists) in 72 league games, so it's one every 4.5 games. According to Wiki anyway.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #409 on: January 16, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
I'm always wary of assists and shots on target stats. If a player starts a move or creates the bit of space that allows the final pass and goal it's just as valuable.

Similarly, a soft shot into the keepers hands is perceived as being of more value than one that hits the woodwork or whizzes just wide. Fine as barometers but not enough to judge a player/team by.

Online paul_e

« Reply #410 on: January 16, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm always wary of assists and shots on target stats. If a player starts a move or creates the bit of space that allows the final pass and goal it's just as valuable.

Similarly, a soft shot into the keepers hands is perceived as being of more value than one that hits the woodwork or whizzes just wide. Fine as barometers but not enough to judge a player/team by.

First one I agree with you, 2nd I don't so much, the first priority for a shot to be of any value is for it to have a chance of scoring, a shot that misses the target  never (other than deflected OGs which happen maybe 10 times a year for the whole league) does that.  The Tonev effect should prove that taking 5yards of pace away to make sure you test the keeper is worth doing most of the time.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #411 on: January 16, 2015, 06:27:22 PM »
What about hitting wood? That's closer and more satisfying than a save.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #412 on: January 16, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »

Flogging your log is a mortal sin for RC's though and probably saps your strength.

Online paul_e

« Reply #413 on: January 16, 2015, 07:54:29 PM »

Looks more impressive I'll grant you but again when one hits the post it's not on target (which is why the whole 'saved by the woodwork' shit pisses me off) so it's never going to go in (other than with deflections, and clearly post an in isn't included in this) so no it's not better than one which the keeper has to save.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #414 on: January 17, 2015, 05:49:40 AM »
Over the course of three seasons you'd expect these things to even out. Unless someone's suggesting he's set up a dozen shots that hit the woodwork it's still pretty threadbare

I'm not writing him off but we've paid under £3m for him. He's got one under 21 cap. It has to be a gamble

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #415 on: January 17, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »
It depends how good Elche's forwards are. If he had the Spanish Gabby and Weimann ahead of him, then he will have struggled.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #416 on: January 17, 2015, 10:22:19 AM »
I reckon we should sing this song for him...

Carles Gil!
Carles Gil!
Carles Gil!
Carles Hee-Hee!

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #417 on: January 17, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
It depends how good Elche's forwards are. If he had the Spanish Gabby and Weimann ahead of him, then he will have struggled.

Erm, in that case isn't he going to struggle here?

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #418 on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »
Isn't that piggy-in-the-middle celebrated as the 'Rondo' in Barcelona and described as the secret of La Masia's success?

I can't answer that question, but it seems to me as a layman to be a useful way to introduce a drill where players will enjoy themselves, while learning to use the ball quickly in tight spaces/under pressure.

I'd bet it's great for the player doing the closing down so long as they put the effort in, given how little tackling actually happens in football being able to close down players and force them to pass where you want is a key skill.

Do we look like this when trying that drill?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:50:00 AM by Quiet Lion »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #419 on: January 17, 2015, 11:50:17 AM »
Fixed your link Quiet Lion.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal