collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our new style of play  (Read 14586 times)

Offline footyskillz

Re: Our new style of play
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2015, 02:44:26 PM »
In response to our new style of play it is a work in process as well as progress. What the villa players implement on the training field is being shown in match play over the last few matches. Its a case of more possession based football and the passing is actually never pointless if just side to side   what it actually is doing is preparing an attack. The philosophy us not so well understood in the UK however by all accounts the players have adapted well and continue to move forward. I suspect the goals will come once the correct movements and triangles around ball players become more apparent. What can be said is the defence is working on being closer with the deep lying midfielder.  I think we can all agree Carlos Sanchez has been outstanding in recovering the ball from the opposition . The great news is Westy is now back which will help penetration from possession. The style Villa are implementing must be embraced by pkayers and fans alike. We are essentially talking between 10 , 15 maybe 20 passes before what as seen as attack forming. If no goal or attack occurs we go again.  The villa players have at times been tentative with the new systematic approach however there is a genuine enthusiasm within the camp that the building attacks will mean goals.  I would suggest that over the next matches more opportunities to score will occur and for villa followers to be faithful and patient.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2015, 02:48:17 PM »
In response to our new style of play it is a work in process as well as progress.

Jesus fucking Christ

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »
In response to our new style of play it is a work in process as well as progress.

Jesus fucking Christ

It is quite like watching a procession so he might have a point.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2015, 03:47:17 PM »
I wouldn't mind trying Lowton further forward to whip balls in. But Lambert simply doesn't play that way so I'd rather we sell than play him in defence.

What I don't get is that it is almost like he sees playing that sort of player as leaving ourselves too open, but as long as they track back when we don't have the ball I don't see the issue really.

I completely agree, it's his going out 'not to lose' mentality that is the issue. That tactic only makes sense against very few clubs.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
It's nice to see there is someone who posts in this thread to educate us on the intricacies of the way the game should be played.

What the fuck would we do without them?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:20:05 PM by andyh »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2015, 04:18:39 PM »
In response to our new style of play it is a work in process as well as progress. What the villa players implement on the training field is being shown in match play over the last few matches. Its a case of more possession based football and the passing is actually never pointless if just side to side   what it actually is doing is preparing an attack. The philosophy us not so well understood in the UK however by all accounts the players have adapted well and continue to move forward. I suspect the goals will come once the correct movements and triangles around ball players become more apparent. What can be said is the defence is working on being closer with the deep lying midfielder.  I think we can all agree Carlos Sanchez has been outstanding in recovering the ball from the opposition . The great news is Westy is now back which will help penetration from possession. The style Villa are implementing must be embraced by pkayers and fans alike. We are essentially talking between 10 , 15 maybe 20 passes before what as seen as attack forming. If no goal or attack occurs we go again.  The villa players have at times been tentative with the new systematic approach however there is a genuine enthusiasm within the camp that the building attacks will mean goals.  I would suggest that over the next matches more opportunities to score will occur and for villa followers to be faithful and patient.
you seem to speak as an insider: do you work on the AVFC coaching staff?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »
It's nice to see there is someone who posts in this thread to educate us on the intricacies of the way the game should be played.

Isn't that what we all do?

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2015, 05:05:50 PM »
The thing is I have no problem with us playing a slow passing game, as I said before we did need better prosession.  I just don't think we need to play it all the time, and should be able to mix things up depending on who we are playing.  And yes I do think that there should be more movement off the ball or that the passing should be quicker.  That style of play also depends on if you have the right players, and with a couple of noteable exceptions I don't think we do.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2015, 05:08:54 PM »
Did you say Westwood will help us with our penetration? He's hardly known for his assists so far is he? He will fit in perfectly with the sideways passing though

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »
Did you say Westwood will help us with our penetration? He's hardly known for his assists so far is he? He will fit in perfectly with the sideways passing though

No, but he is good from set pieces.  I don't mind Westwood, he is still young and learning the game and has shown me enough to suggest he has promise.  Cleverly has been far worse for me.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »

No, but he is good from set pieces.  I don't mind Westwood, he is still young and learning the game and has shown me enough to suggest he has promise.  Cleverly has been far worse for me.

Westwood as the best passer of the ball will look to have as much of the ball as possible . The idea is to get the ball to westwood to penetrate and set up attacks. Sanchez is the holder and other option for this. Against Leicester   previously westy was closed down and ultimately injured as he was seen as the play maker in villas system   

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2015, 06:22:04 PM »

Actually yes he is, he's been easily the best in our team since he arrived at picking out runs and putting people into space, it's actually the lack of decent movement in front of him that makes him look a lot more crablike than he really is.  He was very good in the spell at the end of his first season when our front 3 worked.  What he really needs is someone who can find gaps around the box for him to pass into space.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/79050/History/Ashley-Westwood

The key passes stat is the important one, so averaging 1.5 chance creating passes a game.  That's probably reasonably competitive with most defensive midfielders in the league (outside the top 4-5 clubs).

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »

Westwood as the best passer of the ball will look to have as much of the ball as possible . The idea is to get the ball to westwood to penetrate and set up attacks. Sanchez is the holder and other option for this. Against Leicester   previously westy was closed down and ultimately injured as he was seen as the play maker in villas system   
so, do you actually work at the Villa?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2015, 11:02:20 PM »
Bit unnecessary piling on isn't there? Footyskillz seems to have a perfectly reasonable point of view.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal