collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Club that cannot stop scoring lets yesterday's man go forth.  (Read 55509 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Club that cannot score lets its most prolific striker out on loan again
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
Bent will do really well there if they can find a way to get him the ball and accept that the other 9 players will put in the extra shift to compensate for what Bent lacks. If all they need is a 6yd box finisher then this will work out well for all concerned. However he's not got any pace or jump so he'll rely mainly on his instincts to be successful.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 06:16:52 PM »
It's mismanagement on steroids. He didn't even have a squad number last season and had Jordan Bowery ahead of him just to rub salt in.
Pathetic.
So he scored on his last PL start for us ?

What he managed 18 months ago is irrelevant. It's what he can do now that matters. Which isn't much apart from waddle around looking for stray cream buns.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2015, 06:19:19 PM »
It's mismanagement on steroids. He didn't even have a squad number last season and had Jordan Bowery ahead of him just to rub salt in.
Pathetic.

What he managed 18 months ago is irrelevant. It's what he can do now that matters. Which isn't much apart from waddle around looking for stray cream buns.
Your opinion.
Can you confirm he scored on his last PL start ?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 06:21:42 PM »
What point are you making? That he is still PL standard? Because if he was then Brighton and Derby wouldn't have followed his previous loan spells that didn't work out.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
Pathetic.

Your opinion.
Can you confirm he scored on his last PL start ?

No he didn't as his last PL starts were for Fulham. He did score in his last for us, which was nearly 20 months ago. Again, what he did 20 months ago is an irrelevance. Andi Weimann was scoring a fair few for us that season, doesn't mean shit now does it.

Can you confirm he looked shit in his last start for us against Leyton Orient? That he looked shit in his sub appearances for us? That he looked shit at Fulham last season?

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
We have scored 11 in 23 competitive games. We need a proven striker who is capable of scoring the odd chance we actually create. Someone to help ease the burden of  Benteke. We do create the odd chance and they are generally being missed by Gabby, Andi and even dare I say it a benteke who missed a sitter yesterday.
Is DB9 still PL standard ? Not sure ? Is he worth a go in our current state ? Yes . He is still a capable goalscorer as demonstrated at Brighton.
There's also a reason why arguably the best Championship side and manager have snapped him up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2015, 06:28:29 PM »
There's also a reason no one in the top flight wants him.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »
He is no longer up to dealing with PL defenders so dropping down a level is his best chance of getting a few games.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »
We have scored 11 in 23 competitive games. We need a proven striker who is capable of scoring the odd chance we actually create. Someone to help ease the burden of  Benteke. We do create the odd chance and they are generally being missed by Gabby, Andi and even dare I say it a benteke who missed a sitter yesterday.
Is DB9 still PL standard ? Not sure ? Is he worth a go in our current state ? Yes . He is still a capable goalscorer as demonstrated at Brighton.
There's also a reason why arguably the best Championship side and manager have snapped him up.

He scored on his debut for Fulham as well, but that meant shit all for the rest of the season last season at the highest level. Tell me, do you want N'Zogbia* to start matches for us, after all, he has the potential to get a goal but won't do anything else for the team. That is what you get with Bent now. I expect he will score on his debut for Derby and have a little run at the start to get this argument going again and then will not do anything afterwards.

*(Talking of Charles, weren't you one of the ones questioning why Lambert wasn't playing him last season and saying he should do as he would create goals and get us scoring again?)

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »
It doesn't really matter now as we will never know. Still let's persevere with Andi and Gabby and see how it goes.
We go again.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2015, 06:47:38 PM »
He was poor in the PL with Fulham last season and as others have said, what's the point having him here if we aren't making any chances, it would in fact make him look far worse than he actually is. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
I think he's finished at Villa. Lately, he hasn't been particularly prolific anywhere he's been. At least Agbonlahor and Weimann generally work hard. If Bent isn't scoring, he isn't contributing. Of course there is the chance that he could rediscover the knack but a loss of pace coupled with an awful, sitter-missing, performance in his last full game against Leyton Orient suggest otherwise.

We're not in a position where we can afford to pick out-of-form players who contribute very little on the off-chance he suddenly starts to look like the player he was three years ago.

If Kozak isn't likely to be fit any time soon I'd sooner we switched to 4-4-2 with Agbonlahor, Weimann and Robinson competing for the spot alongside Benteke.

Or, failing that, sign another forward.

You actually believe Agbonlahor works hard? I really don't understand that thinking. Callum Robinson needs to be utilized and right now.

Robinson can't be utilised right now because he's cup-tied. It's a shame because Blackpool would've been an ideal game to try him out (no doubt most Preston fans would want him to score too).

Gabby doesn't always work hard, but does occasionally. More so than Bent.

I'd rather just get a new bloke in though. Even it's just on loan.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2015, 07:05:25 PM »
Please tell me - one of his staunchest defenders - what Bent has done in the past two years to make him worth keeping.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2015, 07:10:57 PM »
Nothing. :) - we've done well to get rid to be honest. I didn't think anyone would take him - do we know how much of his wages Derby are paying. I wouldn't imagine it be 100%?

Offline silhillvilla

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »
Please tell me - one of his staunchest defenders - what Bent has done in the past two years to make him worth keeping.
Not defending him necessarily but how many chances has he been given in that time ? Has lambert handled him well ? I don't think so

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal